Two SW new 'Dex questions

Gentlemanloser

1: Fenrisians Wolves have lost ATSKNF. What happens when you attach a SM IC to a squad of Wolves, or purchase them as a 'retinue' to a character (like an Iron Priest or Lone Wolf). Does ATSKNF carry over form the SM Character, or would the whole unit lose ATSKNF?

Pretty rubbish 'upgrade' for Iron Wolves/Lone Wolves if they lose it (unless LW are fearless, can't remember that!) :P

2: The statistic increases for Thunderwolves. Are these applied before wargear modifiers, or after? Does a Thunderwolf riding Iron Priest have a S9 or S10 Thunderhammer? Does he count at T5 for resolving Instant Death?

1: Fenrisians Wolves have lost ATSKNF. What happens when you attach a SM IC to a squad of Wolves, or purchase them as a 'retinue' to a character (like an Iron Priest or Lone Wolf). Does ATSKNF carry over form the SM Character, or would the whole unit lose ATSKNF??

BRB Page 48 specifies that special rules do not carry over between ICs and attached units unless the rule specifies otherwise, so it depends on the wording of ATSKNF in the Wolf Codex.

For what it's worth, the SM Codex specifies that ATSKNF does carry over the Servitors (the only non-marines in the list) so precedent would lean towards Fenrisian Wolves getting the same coverage in the SW Codex.

2: The statistic increases for Thunderwolves. Are these applied before wargear modifiers, or after? Does a Thunderwolf riding Iron Priest have a S9 or S10 Thunderhammer? Does he count at T5 for resolving Instant Death?

Haven't read the new Wolf Codex, so I'm going off past precedent with similar questions/situations in other codices and/or BRB rules. If the Wolf Codex has different rules that override the BRB, then ignore everything I say.

According to page 26 of the BRB, any increases to a model's toughness from wargear do not modify the threshhold for Instant Death. That's why, for example, bikers are listed as Toughness 4(5) rather than just Toughness 5.

BRB page seven (under "Multiple Modifiers") states that multiplications to stats come before additive modifiers. In other words, if you have a piece of wargear (like, I presume, the Thunderwolf) that adds +1 strength then the +1 is added after strength is doubled by a Powerfist or Thunder Hammer.

The new Thunderwolves work like the C:CSM steeds- they go right to the profile in this case I believe.

I might be wrong on this, but going off a read-through of Daemonic Steed rules for CSMs the bonuses there's nothing to indicate in the rules that they don't work like any other wargea upgrades. The Steeds in the Daemon Codex do go straight to profile though, which the Daemon Codex makes very clear by giving Heralds on steeds their own unique profile unit profile rather than just saying it adds to the models stats.

RAW-wise, unless Thunderwolves have something that specifically sets them out as different, the bonuses they provide work exactly like any other piece of wargear.

Well... from the information Im told Thunderwolf Cavalry, as in the unit, is simply T 5. It could be theres a difference here... it might not.

Hard to say for sure until we've got the Wolf Codex available to read over (and even then the question might remain ambigious; GW has been known to leave it's rules a bit more open to interpretation than they should be).

Agreed.

generally I close these pre-release threads but the wolves 'dex is available to peruse in store and the gist of it is now well documented on the interwebs. but when it comes to fine point RAW, it's best just to have the book handy.

The thunderwolves are just mounted men that have a true T5, and are basically marines that are on larger bases and faster and tougher. As far as the wolves and putting a character, I could have sworn I read someplace that they get it if a character is attached...just like thralls in our book. Dont quote me, I was too busy drooling over the new dex...10 year waiting and the new art alone made it worth it :o

Archived