Thunderfire deployment in ruins

McFisty

I have searched this and found no post addressing this, please forgive me if it has been discussed already.

My local Warhammer 40K group says that because a thunderfire cannon is artillery that it must be deployed on ground level when deploying in ruins. Futhermore, they say that a thunderfire cannon may never move onto another level higher than ground level when in ruins.

The rules state that artillery can move through difficult terrain but must treat it as dangerous terrain. I find nothing in the rules about how to deploy a thunderfire or artillery weapon. I am curious how you all interpret this situation and apply it in a game?

Can a thunderfire deploy in ruins above ground level? Can a thunderfire move up a level in ruins, by passing a dangerous terrain test?

Thanks in advance.

McFisty

I'm not too sure here, it seems to make sense that artillery should be able to deploy on higher floors.

However, after reading page 83, Moving Within Ruins, I will have to say that you can't, and that your gaming group is right.

Quote from the first paragraph of page 83:

only infantry, jump infantry, jetbikes, monstrous creatures and walkers may move on the upper levels of a ruin - and only if the model can physically be placed there. Other units may only move on the ground level of the ruin.

Note that artillery are not included in the above list, and so therefore they cannot move on the upper levels, having to remain on the lower ruins.

Excellent! Thank you so much Darkguard :( . Although I wish I could put my thunderfire on the upper levels of ruins, I believe this rule clarifies beyond any doubt that artillery must remain on the ground level of ruins. Thanks for finding the rule and page number for me, I had looked in the rule book but not on page 83.

Thanks Again,

McFisty

Archived