Tau Jetpacks and Deep Striking

DarkGuard

Didn't find this addressed on any other threads using search, but maybe I'm just bad with the search function.

Now after some games against Tau, there have been some Deep Striking Battlesuits. Now as Tau Battlesuits (apart from Broadsides) have Jetpacks, they are entitled to a 6" move in the Assault phase that they can always take. Now what I am asking is can this move be taken after Deep Striking?

Now the main points on both arguments that I can see is that under the Deep Strike rules it says the Deep Striking unit cannot launch an assault on an enemy unit. Now even though this is a move in the assault phase you aren't assaulting the enemy unit, and as it says you always get the move, it would seem that you can move.

Now my old way of thinking was that it replaces an assault move, and that as you can't have an assault move you can't use the jetpack assault move after Deep Striking.

However, after talking to some people about it and re-reading the rules I am being persuaded towards the first argument I have outlined.

Also, after checking the Eldar FAQ it would seem that Warp Spider's are allowed to take their Warp Jump Pack Generator move in the assault phase after Deep Striking, which could be set as a precedent for allowing the Jetpacks to have their move in the assault phase after Deep Striking.

For ease of reference the rules for Jetpacks can be found on page 52 of the main rulebook and the rules for Deep Striking on page 95.

Any thoughts, comments?

Actually the Tau codex itself has a line forbidding the movement.

p27 Side box under the "XV8 Crisis Battlesuit" heading.

Though some might ignore it, much like the Dex also mentioning that Tau jet packs may not fire heavy weapons, though that one usually gets ignored due to 5th's intent for Jetpacks :lol:

Actually the Tau codex itself has a line forbidding the movement.

p27 Side box under the "XV8 Crisis Battlesuit" heading.

Though some might ignore it, much like the Dex also mentioning that Tau jet packs may not fire heavy weapons, though that one usually gets ignored due to 5th's intent for Jetpacks ;)

Interesting. I'd imagine however, that it's best to be ignored considering the fact that the Jetpacks in the Tau Codex are update, although Codex is supposed to beat Rulebook.

The codex says it cannot make its extra move after deep strike, therefor it cannot, this is not arguable. (outside of blatent house rule)

The heavy weapon rule can be argues as it says its special rule alowing it to move and rapid fire does not apply to heavy weapons, but another rule (such as relentless) could. Not that it matters as their are no heavy weapons a crises suit can take.

The codex says it cannot make its extra move after deep strike, therefor it cannot, this is not arguable. (outside of blatent house rule)

The heavy weapon rule can be argues as it says its special rule alowing it to move and rapid fire does not apply to heavy weapons, but another rule (such as relentless) could. Not that it matters as their are no heavy weapons a crises suit can take.

The heavy weapons sentence on p27 continues with "...,however, and the user must be stationary to use them." every bit the rule as the other.

There are certain jetpack models with access to marker lights, namely Stealth suit commanders and any marker drone part of a Stealth or Crisis Squad.

I however do not enforce either of the on any Tau opponent due to the 5th eds description of Jetpacks and it appears they no longer believe those to be relevant to them. RAW wise, of course they do, but RAW becomes iffy across editions(heck even in the same addition GW rights odd stuff, but at least they are learning to make less errors^^)

In a tourney though, of course, RAW would reign.

The heavy weapons sentence on p27 continues with "...,however, and the user must be stationary to use them." every bit the rule as the other.

There are certain jetpack models with access to marker lights, namely Stealth suit commanders and any marker drone part of a Stealth or Crisis Squad.

I however do not enforce either of the on any Tau opponent due to the 5th eds description of Jetpacks and it appears they no longer believe those to be relevant to them. RAW wise, of course they do, but RAW becomes iffy across editions(heck even in the same addition GW rights odd stuff, but at least they are learning to make less errors^^)

Stealth suits dont have the line preventing heavy weapons, nor do drones. Only way to get a heavy weapon onto a crises suit is through forgeworld, which means you're already playing loose with RAW.

Their is also a peice of wargear called "advanced stabilasation sytem" which grants slow and purposeful USR, are you saying that the wargear doesnt do anything because of the "however, and the user must be stationary to use them." I dont think so, to me it looks more like clarification than a rule.

Stealth suits dont have the line preventing heavy weapons, nor do drones. Only way to get a heavy weapon onto a crises suit is through forgeworld, which means you're already playing loose with RAW.

Their is also a peice of wargear called "advanced stabilasation sytem" which grants slow and purposeful USR, are you saying that the wargear doesnt do anything because of the "however, and the user must be stationary to use them." I dont think so, to me it looks more like clarification than a rule.

Indeed true, Having jetpacks on the mind, I whiffed on the Crisis suit section XD (though hilarious funny to imagine the teeny drone having the rules to fire a railgun on the move if it had it with the big crisis suit next ti it needing to stand still /theory).

The Advanced Stabiliser(I really hope they give it a better acronym in the new dex, whenever that may be, typing it out is tiring) never did anything for XV8 teams, only Stealth teams(if you wanted the captain to move and use his marker, but that ends up with every member needing to have it as well, wasting it) or XV88 teams, who use it gloriously^^ This is an even better example of the silliness of rawing jetpacks in the Tau dex and advovates just deferring to the full 5th rulebook rules ignoring all jetpack stuff in the dex.

Archived