Finally done - Howling Griffin Shoulder Pads

nvillacci

I was commissioned to have some Griffon (?Griffin?) shoulder pads sculpted and cast for a fellow player.

After many setbacks (including a not so good 3D printing job) I finally decided to get them sculpt in Greenstuff.

They are a little difficult to see, but here they are. As I type they are on the way to be molded and cast in pewter. Half the battle was creating a shoulderpad blank from scratch with measurements etc.

Please bear with me on the quality of the photo, I have no tripod. The player commissioning them was very happy. I cant wait to see the pewters which I will paint up and have to show when I update this thread.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg288/nvillacci/Grif2.jpg

Nick

www.Chapterhousestudios.com

3d printers at most places aren't going to do super fine detail like this. :lol: Its kinda disapointing especially because of the costs involved. But I love your sculpt and I'm still waiting for someone other than the ONE forum member to make a full Howling Griffon army. They're my second most favorite SM chapter after DA's. :)

Master Toddius,

Yeah I found that out the hard way, I have 16 pads printed up and few if any came up usable.

Luckily I had the work done in China, so it was rather cheap, the shipping was crazy though. I find it interesting that flat objects with flat details come out great (we just had custom Rhino and Land Raider doors and armor printed), but anything with curves is not so good.

Nick

3d printers at most places aren't going to do super fine detail like this. dry.gif Its kinda disapointing especially because of the costs involved. But I love your sculpt and I'm still waiting for someone other than the ONE forum member to make a full Howling Griffon army. They're my second most favorite SM chapter after DA's. smile.gif

True, the cleaning work needed on the prints is insane plus the detail degration is noticable. Greenstuff takes longer and is more difficult but producec better results.

If youre lucky enough I can get time over and make more griffon things other then tiny shoulderpads.

They are a little difficult to see, but here they are. As I type they are on the way to be molded and cast in pewter. Half the battle was creating a shoulderpad blank from scratch with measurements etc.

Thats a bit of an understatement, the details are usually just a question of scalpels and inhuman patience but the pad itself is pure murder to make.

I´m actually thinking of making a series of empty pad templates to cut down on the sculpting time.

Archived