Lots of Nitpicky Librarian Questions

thade

Right. Let's get to it!

1. I presume psychic shooting attacks require you to have LOS to your target; is this true?

2. Is the target unit allowed to take a cover save from a psychic shooting attack if one is available? I presume they do except in the case of Avenger, as it uses the template.

3. Can the librarian fire psychic shooting powers from a fire point on a Rhino?

4. Can the librarian Gate of Infinity himself from inside a transport to somewhere else? (Or does he have to disembark so he can "start his movement phase" and then use Gate?)

5. If yes to #4, can he Gate of Infinity himself from inside a transport AND take his unit with him?

6. Since he "arrives via deepstrike" I presume he can't Gate himself INTO a transport...in fact, I'd assert if he tried and 'succeeded', he'd have to roll on the mishap table (as he'd be occupying the space of another model on arrival...the transport). But I thought I'd ask anyway. Can he?

7. Can he use powers from within a transport that do not require LOS? The only ones that would make sense would be Null Zone and Force Dome. The former would be effective, the latter only if the transport got popped and those inside got charged by a unit with power weapons or fried up with plasma afterward...but hey.

1. Yes. You basically follow the rules for shooting a target.

2. Yes. They basically follow the rules for being shot at by you.

3. Yes. In point of fact, if LOS is require, a fireport must be used if embarked.

4. Yes. Per precident set by GW, you can use a psychic powers on units embarked with the psyker, including the psyker.

5. Yes. As the power must be used at the start of the Librarian's movement phase, he can Gate either himself or himself+the unit.

6. No. A Librarian is unable to Gate into a vehicle, and is only able to Gate to the ground level of a ruin, per RAW.

7. Yes. See answer #4.

SJ

I agree with Iron on all points but it should be noted

models do not have individual movement phases, the start of the librarians movement phase is the start of the librarians OWNERS movement phase. GOI must be done before any models move (unless it is also a "start if movement phase" sort of thing).

4. can actualy be contested though I also vote no. There was aparently a battle report of an offical game that had the marines do so, I havnt seen it so it could be hearsay, and GW has been known to mess up their own rules just as frequently as the rest of us (if you cont messing up in writeing the rules in the first place even more). Though if he can (which I still dont agree with) he HAS to take a unit that is shareing the transport with him as IC are considered joined with any units in the transport with them.

4. Yes. Per precident set by GW, you can use a psychic powers on units embarked with the psyker, including the psyker.

And how do you propose to execute:

The librarian, and any unit he is with, are REMOVED FROM THE TABLETOP and immediately placed back...

Don't quote me, but I recall someone somewhere stating that models in a transport count as being 'on the table' (they occupy the same space as the transport) for various purposes, such as troops in a transport being within 3" of an objective, a Teleport Homer in a transport being within 6" of a deep-striking Terminator, etc. I think a good example is Sicarius. You don't lose Rites of Battle if you put him in a transport, do you?

Jeffersonion is correct, frosty and Iron are incorrect as regards to question 4 & 5

BRB FAQ

"Q. Can Psychic powers be used on a unit

embarked on a transport?

A. For simplicity’s sake, the answer has to be a

firm ‘No, unless the psyker himself is in the unit

being transported’."

As the librarian is embarked with the unit he would be allowed to cast GoI.

Archived