Chaos Chosen

Requiemnex

I am building an army list for Sunday and I am debating on using some Chaos Chosen. I was wondering what people would feel be more effective..

10 Chaos Chosen

2 Melta Guns

2 Power Fists

(Maybe convert a champion for one of the fists)

Or...

10 Chaos Chosen

2 Plasma Guns

1 Heavy Bolter

The way I see it the first squad would be able to Infiltrate into an area and then wreck some heavy armor. The second squad would be able to infiltrate into an area and then hold it down.

Any ideas?

My current Chosen squad is decked out with Plasma. they outflank and shoot at the stuff like tyranids, tanks (rear armor) termies that are walking, etc and usually earn their points first time they shoot! Im thinking of trying another with power weapons n such. The Chosen are always fun to try with different combinations, just find the one that fits your niche!

I've played several times with :

• 5 Chosen
  • 4 Meltas
  • 1 Rhino
  • Reserves / Outflank (hunting Armor / Large targets)

depending on the roll of the dice for the outflank, I've had good and bad results with just this.

when the dice are with me, I've been able to come in off the table edge I want, and destroy a Tank.

If they come in off of an edge that is too far from a good target, I'll keep them in the Rhino until I get close enough. but a few times that has been a lot of ground to cover.

I know, 5 is a small unit. And yes, after you kill a tank with them your oppenent will want retribution. So they don't last that long. But they can't hold objectives, so the incomming fire they do recieve won't be going towards my units that can capture and hold objectives. And the points I don't spend on them, I'm spending on my Troops (for every 5 Chosen you get, you can get 6 CSMs). I see this as a big distraction for my opponent, and little more insurance for my Troops.

If I even used Chosen it would either be:

2 Flamers/2 Meltaguns/Power Fist in a Rhino

or

4 Plasmaguns/Power Fist Infiltrating

Basically, they're just superized versions of my normal CSM squads.

I have a hard time with Chosen, I'm not sure what they bring to the table that Terminators and CSMs don't already have.

Basically:

Get them a Rhino.

Load up on Special weapon, 4 of a kind are very powerful, if you do mix get pairs.

Icons are optional.

Stay away from combat upgrades.

But I find Chosen Underwhelming, I rather have more plague marines, but that's just me.

My 7 Cents.

Yes they can, but do you really need 5?

My 7 Cents.

If its only shooting, I'd take 5 guns in a full size squad.

However I think its probably safer to take 4 Specials and a Power Fist instead.

I was planning on using the Chosen to smuggle a GD over, and use their cheap champ to get it on the field, and use the other 5 specials for shooting.

My 7 Cents.

I was planning on using the Chosen to smuggle a GD over, and use their cheap champ to get it on the field, and use the other 5 specials for shooting.

wow! that actually a good idea! GD suddenly behind enemy lines! :HQ:

I love Chosen and am always dreaming up new squads. One option I remember while playing yesterday is you can give X models melta bombs. So I'm thinking of a versitile squad with lots of melta bombs that can be clamped on to a slow moving vehicle. Sure melta guns are great but I can kit them out for h2h and still hunt tanks maybe...

I'm going to try outflanking in a rhino. Usually I outflank on foot, but since it seems legal why not out flank in an APC.

As for a heavy weapon it can be worth it. I ran a four combi-melta plus one missile launcher squad last Astro. And often they come on blast their target and then just sort of hang around. If they end up on the wrong side or if you decide to infiltrate instead you can pump out a missile a turn which is pretty good range on a 6*4.

In a rhino probably no need for a single heavy weapon. Regular CSM can get cheaper lone heavies shame they need to buy ten men, I guess that is what the blastmaster is for. Small squad with a heavy weapon to sit on objectives at the back. Thought of that a long time ago, finally going to try it out one day...

I've long pondered whether or not to take Chosen, it seems all their advantages are over taken by the advantages of taking Terminators, or just moar Marinez! :HQ:

I am going to put a squad together for Planetstrike games though, Deep Striking in with 5 Meltaguns. I'd not thought about Muskie's suggestion of giving them Meltabombs though, so I might make them CC orientated and give them those instead.

To my mind, another thing that puts me off using them is that there's almost so many options - CC? Shooty? Plasma or Melta-ing? Infiltrating? Mounted? Asp Champ for a GD?

I could probably make about 20-odd just to take a squad for any occassion, but can I be bothererd... :D

They come with krak grenades. A rhino moves 12" and you can exit it to fire. The better weapons are normally plasma guns for that scenario, even hitting side armor of tanks and then stand there firing at 24" if required. Combi-melta on the rhino to pop a tank full of troops and force them to exit as a minor precaution, or to insta kill a lone character sitting in the back like a master of the forge on bike and beamer.

5 Plasma guns, or 3 flamers and 2 meltaguns are my favorites. Either that or 5 twin claws and an icon of slaanesh acting like a gnarly HQ with initiative 5. Or icon of khorne if you rely on ablative wounds to take hits for them. (7-ish dead with IoS before being hit or 9 dead with IoK and taking I4 hits) That unit is a bit less reliable.

All outflank goodness. I never infiltrate them, that invites disaster. I prefer to be able to use them before they get beat up.

My 7 Cents.

Not a bad idea really. The GD would cost a total of 133 points which isn't hideous really.

Nice thinking, if you use it, let us know how it works.

My 7 Cents.

Not a bad idea really. The GD would cost a total of 133 points which isn't hideous really.

Nice thinking, if you use it, let us know how it works.

yeah I'm seriously considering this idea too!

I love the Chosen. My only gripe is their inability to score. I've tried a few different ways of using them. One way is a large u squad (I used 15 of them) with an Icon of Nurgle tarpitting and carrying Melta/Plasma to take out vehicles/big threats early. I have also tried using a couple small 6 man squads with a Champion and 5 Flamers. This was a response to playing nothign but Orks and nids, and I used them to a) deliver Greater Daemons and :cuss burn the heck out of the swarms to soften them up.

My current 1850 list uses a squad of 8 Chosen, 4 power weapons and a melta gun, and an aspiring champ with no upgrades, for the greater demon. 31pts for the GD is only one point more expensive than you could do it anywhere else (only 10 pts to promote a chosen, remember)*, and its the only squad in the codex where you can bring in the GD and not nerf the squad it came from (since you can give PW or PF to non-champs in the chosen unit). I also mark them with slaanesh and, if my opponent is cool with it, enhance them with Bile, considering the combat role I have them built for.

...and I put them in a land raider totally wasting their infiltrate ability. Dumb, I know.

They come with krak grenades. A rhino moves 12" and you can exit it to fire. The better weapons are normally plasma guns for that scenario, even hitting side armor of tanks and then stand there firing at 24" if required. Combi-melta on the rhino to pop a tank full of troops and force them to exit as a minor precaution, or to insta kill a lone character sitting in the back like a master of the forge on bike and beamer.

5 Plasma guns, or 3 flamers and 2 meltaguns are my favorites. Either that or 5 twin claws and an icon of slaanesh acting like a gnarly HQ with initiative 5. Or icon of khorne if you rely on ablative wounds to take hits for them. (7-ish dead with IoS before being hit or 9 dead with IoK and taking I4 hits) That unit is a bit less reliable.

All outflank goodness. I never infiltrate them, that invites disaster. I prefer to be able to use them before they get beat up.

I was looking at trying Chosen out for that purpose.

Currently running @ 1699pts

Daemon Prince

10 Marines w/ Meltas and Rhino x3

8 Plague Marines w/ 2 Plasma and Rhino

2 Oblits

2 Vindicators w/Daemonic Possession

This is a Word Bearer army with the Plague Marines being "counts as" a veteran squad that continually advances under a barrage of incoming fire.

I notice I can exchange the 8 Plague Marines out for a squad of 8 Chosen with 4 Plasma Guns and IoCG for the exact same points.

They would obviously be a more aggressive unit (outflanking or infiltrating) and have more firepower but I’d be losing a scoring unit, they would have less resilience, and be more prone to “gets hot”. Also if they outflank I’d only 5 vehicles on the table at the start rather than 6.

Not looking to rewrite the list, I realize there are more optimal choices. Just wanted to try something a little different (possibly unexpected) for an up coming 1700pt tournament. Any one had success (or utter failure) with something similar?

Archived