Pack of Wolves

gil galed

So given the fun we had with the Jaws question....

Bols just brought up this: It regards Space Wolf HQ, they can take up to two characters per slot limited by this:

"...packs of Space Wolves work best when led by a single dominant personality, each hero respected for his own abilities. To represent this, no two characters may bear the same saga, nor may they bear the same psychic powers or wargear combination."

The question is,

Does this mean combination of psychic powers? or does the "Nor" Suggest that like sagas it means no two powers may be the same

My read is that they may not share the same psychic power combination, and may not share the same wargear combination. this is to maximize diversity, which the "fluff" section clearly states.

as Lord Ragnarok said, keep it civil...

I would agree that the reasonable interpretation would be in having the same "combinations" of anything.

But it wont come up- outside apocalypse I wont be fielding more than a single Rune Priest anyways.

One thing I would like to see a FAQ is if the Wolf Lord has two sagas, as Im told they can, if any other character can take either of the ones he selects- or if they are both removed from the options.

I think they're both removed, Mage. Sagas, IIRC, are a one-per-army thing, and unique.

In regards to the Powers bit, aye. Lord Ragnarok said it best. FAQ is needed, but I personally think the ball will fall on the "No two exact combinations of powers" side of things.

the reason i say it is any duplication of powers is mainly based on english gramar.

In English gramar there is no need for a commar between the penultimate and ultimate parts of a list they are just read as separate. As such the Or separates the "powers" and the "wargear" bit so the "combination" word has no relevance to the powers bit and as such any argument on combination must be based on reading powers as plural

Under american gramar then the list should read:

"...packs of Space Wolves work best when led by a single dominant personality, each hero respected for his own abilities. To represent this, no two characters may bear the same saga, nor may they bear the same psychic powers , or wargear combination."

I think it's important to look at the ramification of that interpretation. Most notably, Njal Stormcaller would deny the use of any other rune priests in the army.

Gil- I disagree with your deconstruction of the sentence. Someone on BolS said it best- even if you don't link "psychic powers" and combination (a valid interpretation), it doesn't necessarily preclude "psychic powers" from referring to a set of powers. I'm not saying that your deconstruction is wrong, but there is more wiggle room even if you use correct grammar. This issue needs a FAQ for sure, especially when people like Locmac think that people who want to argue this are just trying to gain an advantage. I don't play SW nor do I have any desire to do so.

I'm not saying that only competitive people will use it, but I can see a lot of people (at least where I play) playing with only a melta bomb as the difference between their two rune priests. It's definitely a FAQ needed answer.

As a matter of good writing and proper use of the language, the "or" keeps wargear and psychic powers distinct, but the failure to use "nor" instead of or keeps them together as one item in the list of things which are not allowed.

What does that mean? It means that "combination" applies to both, but to each independently of the other. You can't have two characters with the same combination of psychic powers, and you can't have two characters with the same combination of wargear.

Of course, the Games Workshop writers' abuse of the English language is very nearly the stuff of legend, and it's therefore impossible to tell what they were intending with this wording.

Archived