Scout Bikes?

Rhellion

Good, bad, neutral?

I'm thinking about expanding my Space Marine force some more, rather than starting a new army. How are Scout Bikes? I actually don't have any Space Marine bikes yet, but I was thinking of going straight to the Scouts with a 4 main squad (3 grenade launchers and a Sergeant with a power fist).

I find scout bikes excellent.

If you have first turn, Infiltrate them 24" away from some enemy armor, use their scout move to close it to 12", then first turn move in 11", shoot with the sergeants combi-melta and move in to finish the vehicle in h2h (it hasn't moved, so all attacks hit it, including your sergeants meltabomb). Almost always takes down a vehicle first turn, well worth their <100pts. Also a multitude of other (less cheesy) tactics for them. I really like these guys.

Good, bad, neutral?

I'm thinking about expanding my Space Marine force some more, rather than starting a new army. How are Scout Bikes? I actually don't have any Space Marine bikes yet, but I was thinking of going straight to the Scouts with a 4 main squad (3 grenade launchers and a Sergeant with a power fist).

Right, first off I reccomend you read Warp Angel's excellent Tactica Astartes article on Risk and Unit Size. The short form is that with only a 4 man unit with every member upgraded, you are 100% certain of losing a valuable trooper every single time you suffer a casualty.

Take some spare wounds.

Other than that, they are extremely fast, guaranteed a first turn charge if that's your bag, on the table with a Locator Beacon before the pods come down, highly mobile and pack a lot of punch.

I find scout bikes excellent.

If you have first turn, Infiltrate them 24" away from some enemy armor, use their scout move to close it to 12", then first turn move in 11", shoot with the sergeants combi-melta and move in to finish the vehicle in h2h (it hasn't moved, so all attacks hit it, including your sergeants meltabomb). Almost always takes down a vehicle first turn, well worth their <100pts. Also a multitude of other (less cheesy) tactics for them. I really like these guys.

you can infiltrate within 18", scout move to within 12" (just nitpicking it makes no difference)

Gc08

Scout Bikes are only good with a locator beacon.

3x Scout Bike with Locator is 95 points. If you're taking 3+ Drop Pods, it's absolutely amazing.

18" away from the enemy, 6" scout move, Drop the Pod on top of them, your units come out in melta-range of their most valuable armor. Then on your movement phase, turbo boost 24" to the next opportune drop site and do it again next turn for your other DPs.

3x Scout Bike with Locator is 95 points. If you're taking 3+ Drop Pods, it's absolutely amazing.

18" away from the enemy, 6" scout move, Drop the Pod on top of them, your units come out in melta-range of their most valuable armor. Then on your movement phase, turbo boost 24" to the next opportune drop site and do it again next turn for your other DPs.

You're setting yourself up for a fall with terms like "only good with..."; next thing you know you'll be advocating Shrike w/ 10 Assault Terminators as an alternative to Scout Bikes.

Scout Bikes with 3 AGLs can position themselves and more or less guarantee a fusilade of AGL fire followed by an Assault. Against a suitable target (anything with AV10, like War Walkers for example) that's a serious threat.

They are also highly mobile - with most vehicles having AV10 rear/AV11 side (and Chimera having AV10 side), Scout Bikes really can work some hurt.

Locator Beacon is, granted, nice. But it's not the B-all and end-all of Scout Bike usage.

I like them, in theory. I've yet to build any yet. I'm hoping to do a 5-man unit of them, sergeant with powerfist and meltabombs, two AGLs, and a couple chumps. The S6 krak shot can pop open light transports, allowing you to tarpit whatever's inside for a bit, or smack around artillery tanks, skimmers, and walkers in the first turn.

The locator beacon is nice, but only if you run a lot of Terminators or Pods, which I don't.

You're setting yourself up for a fall with terms like "only good with..."; next thing you know you'll be advocating Shrike w/ 10 Assault Terminators as an alternative to Scout Bikes.

Scout Bikes with 3 AGLs can position themselves and more or less guarantee a fusilade of AGL fire followed by an Assault. Against a suitable target (anything with AV10, like War Walkers for example) that's a serious threat.

They are also highly mobile - with most vehicles having AV10 rear/AV11 side (and Chimera having AV10 side), Scout Bikes really can work some hurt.

Locator Beacon is, granted, nice. But it's not the B-all and end-all of Scout Bike usage.

I disagree, wholeheartedly.

If you're taking them for attack use, you might as well use Attack Bikes.

Scout Bikes are there to infiltrate, scout and place Drop Pods ontop of your enemy. Anything else would be, uncivilized.

I like them, in theory. I've yet to build any yet. I'm hoping to do a 5-man unit of them, sergeant with powerfist and meltabombs, two AGLs, and a couple chumps. The S6 krak shot can pop open light transports, allowing you to tarpit whatever's inside for a bit, or smack around artillery tanks, skimmers, and walkers in the first turn.

The locator beacon is nice, but only if you run a lot of Terminators or Pods, which I don't.

You can Deep Strike Land Speeders. The ability to precisely target drop a floating Multi-Melta or two is not to be underestimated.

There is much much more to Scout Bikes than single use throwaway Drop Pod targetters.

Scout Bikes are there to infiltrate, scout and place Drop Pods ontop of your enemy. Anything else would be, uncivilized.

:) Wow, this is most likely an uninformed opinion, let me educate you, young padawan.

linky

Gc08

I have no need of Scouts in my army, so your Tactica does not serve me any good.

But thanks for the read.

Archived