My foot-slogging vanguard (take two)

thade

My vanguard rides around in my Limo (a.k.a. a LRC/R - magnetized and convertible) which I named after my girlfriend; painted her nickname right on the nameplate.

I'm a nerd

My first ground vanguard fit the following composition (at 280 pts):

Serg with Relic Blade

Vet with 2xTH

4 Vets with Storm Shields

They have been accompanied by a Master of the Forge. Their highlight moment was by far chain-routing four Tau fireteams right off the board...this was actually done after they got dumped by the LR which went off to bus a tac squad to my opponent's objective. They got shot up at first, leaving the MoF with 1 wound and the vanguard down to two marines: the serg and a single Shieldbearer.

While I enjoy the 2xTH (as sometimes the guy just outright pastes four troopers, and he just looks damn cool) he is (as you might assert my entire vanguard is) pointswise inefficient. The real problem with my vanguard over all is that I don't have enough troops to spread wounds over...I find myself constantly taking wounds over the entire unit. What this told me is that I need more vanillas to soak hits, and 2xTH man - awesome though he is - is a chunk of points that I can reallocate.

So here is my second ground vanguard (at 285 pts):

Serg with Relic Blade

Vet w/ Power Weapon

Vet w/ Power Fist

3 Vets with Storm Shields

2 vanilla vets.

I've been flip-flopping between using the power fist VS using another straight up power weapon. I have an affinity for power fists, but I find I often like going at initiative 4 more than I do waiting for a "more likely kill" at init 1. I will be trying them both.

I'm thinking of dropping MoF back down to techmarine and putting a Libby (with Gate and MotA) and a Chaplain (perhaps as "counts as Cassius") in to the limo with them.

I don't really have direct questions this time; just looking to start a conversation about vanguard configurations and HQs that might be a happy coupling with them. :)

I seem to recall I had asserted that a LC > PW before, and I thought it was you that had pointed out that the additional attack out of the PW was more valuable than the reroll wound(s) on the lit claw? ...I have both a LC and a PW I can put on a guy...

Against T4

4 attacks w/ 50% wound chance = 2

3 attacks w/ 75% wound chance = 2.25

Against T3

4 attacks w/ 66% wound chance = 2.66

3 attacks w/ 88% wound chance = 2.66

The LC is more reliable too. To hit obviously cancels out.

The exception comes when using a Chaplain in the squad vs. enemies that are T3 (or lower). Which basically means Eldar, because there's nothing in any other list that's T3 and decent in H2H.

EDIT: and even that isn't so much about the average as it is the reliability

Just as a follow-up, that vanguard did really well in the first two matches I fielded them in. Combined with the MotF and Librarian, that was ten models which put down a lot of hurt and had impressive durability, even after the LR got popped (as it did in one of the two matches).

And the model with a power sword swung four times, hit four times, wounded four times, and killed four Plague Marines on his first assault of the game. It was a momentous event. While I can't expect that to happen all the time, it was certainly a positive experience. =)

My vanguard rides around in my Limo (a.k.a. a LRC/R - magnetized and convertible) which I named after my girlfriend; painted her nickname right on the nameplate.

I'm a nerd

This made me laugh much, mostly the nerd part, I may just follow your lead :o :o

Archived