Inquisitor Scale Blood Angels Honor Guard WIP

Replica

Hello everyone,

This is the first time I’ve ever done a WIP on any site, or even photographed miniatures so hopefully it all goes well!

Okay, well after almost 2 years without picking up a brush I bought a 54mm Artemis off eBay. When I got the model in the post I opened it, looked at it and let it get dusty for a few months while I got comfortable with a brush again. This didn’t take long as I was putting together a full company of Ultramarines, but that’s a lot of blue, so I decided to take a break from that project and do this guy up as a Blood Angel.

After deciding on the pose and the wargear (bolter and chainsword :( ) I got to work! I picked up a 54mm Malicant for the chainsword. Lucky for me its the perfect size! As I’m just getting back into modeling and when i first started this guy i though it would be the only one i did ( 2 more in the mail! ) I decided not to re-model the pose too much for fear of ruining it, plus the pose of Artemis fits with a charging Blood Angel quite well!

Here’s the first pic, these are the two sub-assemblies, but i think they will be pinned together before painting.

gallery_49031_4074_6386.jpg

The next thing i did was to cut off the extra 'special ammo' mags from Artemis's bolter. I’m thinking about taking off the scope too, but I haven’t decided yet.

gallery_49031_4074_38033.jpg

Next I filed down the details on the Deathwatch shoulder pad until they were below the shoulder pads rim line, then covered it in green stuff.

gallery_49031_4074_11957.jpg

I got a helmet with the Artemis and decided to use it, although i think Artemis's head looks fantastic but i love marines in helmets!

gallery_49031_4074_20132.jpg

I filed off the 'repent' from the side of Mailcants eviscerator and filled in the gaps along the side to make it look a bit more like a chainsword.

gallery_49031_4074_6236.jpg

Lastly, i triple pinned the bolter arm to the torso because i think this guy may end up being transported around a bit and want him to be invincible!!!

gallery_49031_4074_7568.jpg

Thanks for looking, all comments and opinions welcome! I’m not done with this guy yet and I’d love to get some feed back!

thanks,

Replica

I've been busy today! I decided i wanted to put studs on his left leg as well as on the left shoulder pad because Vets tend to have older armor, and i reckon they look cool!

I did this by drilling grooves and gluing steel balls into them. Really simple but on a larger scale model its quite effective. I also checked out some of the Sternguard and Vanguard Veteran models and noticed some have have either chains or metal rings around their thighs or arms. I liked this look and decided to use some chain and incorporate Artemis's Terminator Honors into it.

gallery_49031_4074_208.jpg

I did the same to the shoulder pad, and pinned the chainsword hand to the arm. I gave the chainsword some blood drop symbol and a blood angels symbol on his forearm made from greenstuff.

gallery_49031_4074_10710.jpg

Then i pinned everything together apart from the chainsword arm and the back pack. Before undercoating i used blu-tac to test fit everything. I also added a chain from the chainsword hilt up into his shoulder pad. This mirrors the cables coming from the auspex that is on his right arm.

gallery_49031_4074_4733.jpg

And from the back:

gallery_49031_4074_25740.jpg

C&C welcome!

thanks,

Replica

Great start, brother! Can't wait for the finished product!

Nice idea for the studs!

Cheers

Calimehtar

Thanks mate! Ive seen it on a few larger scale models before and thought it would look good on a vet based on the armor of the Sternguard and Vanguard vets. They would suit Dark Angels really well!

~ Replica

I'd get Artemis (i did!) i had a lot of fun converting him, he already had heaps of detail, in fact i filled in a bit of the detail so that he wouldn't look over done with the studs and some of the extra stuff i added.

The only downside to the model is also one of its coolest features, being the deathwatch shoulder pad. Its meticulously detailed and looks stunning but if you don't want him to be Deathwatch and leave it on it can ruin the model if you don't want it. The big Inquisitorial "I" sticks out like a sore thumb!

So impressive dude these are out of this world makes me wanna have a go :D

thanks mate! I'd recommend getting your hands on one of these models, they are really fun to work with and surprisingly easy. I got this one for $25US off ebay because the bloke who was selling it already cut off the neck guard on the Deathwatch shoulder pad, which i was gonna do anyway!

I recently got 2 for $25US because they are assembled and poorly painted so I'm gonna have to put a little more work into those ones but the price is right! :)

~ Replica

Hello again,

Here are some more pics! Firstly i finished off the back pack and got the weathering finalised. I didnt want a 'showroom' look to the armor but i think a Marine would keep his armor in good repair ( even in the heat of battle ) so i didnt go over the top. I felt this was especially true of chapters like the Blood Angels who love artistic beauty in their armour and wargear.

gallery_49031_4074_54556.jpg

Next i did the chainsword and left arm. I decided that i was going to make the studs look like they were painted red instead of leaving them looking like bare metal, simply because there was so many other colors on the rest of the model he didnt seem to have enough red.

I didnt want to do the chainsword black because it was a bit boring but I wanted a relativly limited pallet so it didnt look too busy. I added some gold swirls to make it look a little more ornate and interesting. Then i wanted GORE! I think too much gore is cheesy, but at the same time at this scale i knew i would be able to control the amount of gore and make it look effective without taking the focus from the rest of the model.

gallery_49031_4074_139525.jpg

I made a last minuite desicion to do the eye glow and i was pretty nervous about it because this is the first time ive ever done it, never even tested it. I found THIS LINK and it worked out really well. I added some more highlights on the hoses and around the eyes because the gold is shiny and would reflect a little more of the light.

gallery_49031_4074_97633.jpg

MORE PICS VERY SOON!

All comments welcome, cheers for looking!

Thanks,

Replica

one minor thing, and it might just be the angle/lighting of the pics but it looks like the glow is brighter than the lenses... for obvious reasons the light source should be brighter than the reflected light... as i say this could be just the lighting in the pic, the eyes do seem to be in a bit of shadow, but in case it isn', you might want to brighten up the lenses a bit...

other than that, i'd say this is looking very, very nice, a good looking conversion (a nice idea to use the eviscerator :) ) and one that i will definately keep an eye on

Archived