Ironclads and Drop Pod Assault?

templargdt

Hi guys, I am toying with the Idea of a Master of the Forge / Ironclad Drop Pod spam list. Something Like this:

Master of the Forge (100)

Ironclad (MG/HF), Drop Pod (Beacon) (190)

Ironclad (MG/HF), Drop Pod (Beacon) (190)

Ironclad (MG/HF), Drop Pod (180)

Tactical Squad, PF, MG, CF, ML, Drop Pod (245)

I have no idea whether anything like this will work or not, be it seems intimidating as heck to me. I mean, turn 1 you get FIVE Ironclads dropped on your face?

Does anyone use a list like this, or has anyone fought one? I'd really like some voices of experience before I start plopping down a bunch of cash on the army. Thanks!

You need a unit of Scout Bikes with Locator Beacons.. especially with that many Drop Pods.

Would you chance that many mishaps?

mishaps? do you mean just scattering off target as drop pods can moce the smallist amount to prevent a deep strike mishap. Thus their brilliant and thats why you'd use them in planet strike

You might wanna consider putting some hunter-killer missiles on those dreads. Particularly on the ones that are the first to land.

This way, on the turn it lands, an ironclad can shoot two hunter-killer missiles + a meltagun. It really gives you a good chance to blow up a transport, which is always important.

My big concern about the list is basically the response to drop pod assault: "OK, my whole army is in reserve." I guess in that case I would deploy my tactical squads as normal in cover while awaiting the dreadnoughts to hit via normal reserves.

I hardly ever deep strike stuff, I've done it once in my last 7 games. The game I did it was a really good move, but of course risky (in the 'Ard Boyz semis I deep struck two Landspeeders near a back-field IG manticore. Dead on land, dead 160 point manitcore. Sure they died next turn, but it allowed my two land raiders and easier time to deliver my assault terminators. Basically won me the game.)

Anyway, the idea really fascinates me, I just wish someone out there had some experience with a similiar list and could talk about it.

Concerning the scout bikes...

I have considered them as well, but the biggest plus I see in using them is the ability to have them turbo boost along a table edge were I need to drop. My opponents vehicles always seem to be right along the board edge making it hard to land in melta range. (and even harder to hit side/rear armor) In all the games I have played my pods have dropped reliably enough to not need the beacons, but I still always fear the edge and scout bikes would deny my opponent even that safety net.

With your 5 Ironclad list you will dominate the 1st couple turns, but I am seeing the advantages of having speeders in pod lists more and more. They compliment the pods by adding late game maneuverability.

in anihilation you are basically turning your game plan into completely anihilate or lose. Your opponent has 9 KP right off your list, plus he will prolly kill a few dreads or tactical units, and not many army lists even carry 11-12 units

If the opponent is firing at the pods instead of the Ironclads or tacticals, I suppose you could count that as a success. Sure, they give up a KP, but if you ignore the Dreads, they're going to wreck units.

mmmh i might have been under the bad influnce of older players hahaha i was told that immobilized vehicles count as a KP at the end of the match, but re-reading the 5ed rules i cant find it anywhere. If they are, then the pods count as a KP right from the start since they count as having an unrepairable damaged-immobilized result. But i can only find anything about that in the VP section of the rules where it says that they give half the VPs if they have either damaged result (which would mean about 145 points in your case, not great but not a big deal either) but as far as i know nobody uses VPs anyway hahaha

mmmh i might have been under the bad influnce of older players hahaha i was told that immobilized vehicles count as a KP at the end of the match, but re-reading the 5ed rules i cant find it anywhere. If they are, then the pods count as a KP right from the start since they count as having an unrepairable damaged-immobilized result. But i can only find anything about that in the VP section of the rules where it says that they give half the VPs if they have either damaged result (which would mean about 145 points in your case, not great but not a big deal either) but as far as i know nobody uses VPs anyway hahaha

That's a Fourth Edition ruling. Gone now.

If you want to be really cheesy you can use the Lucius Drop-Pods for your dreads. Rules can be found on the Forgeworld Site

Those rules are not in any way official, and I doubt many players would allow him to field that many ironclads in lucius pattern DPs.

That being said, hed have to drop a few things for them anyways.... and the list is fine as is.

If you want to be really cheesy you can use the Lucius Drop-Pods for your dreads. Rules can be found on the Forgeworld Site

Those rules are not in any way official, and I doubt many players would allow him to field that many ironclads in lucius pattern DPs.

That being said, hed have to drop a few things for them anyways.... and the list is fine as is.

Forgeworld models and rules are legal everywhere I've played unless a tournament specifically disallows them, which hasn't happened.

If you're paying $90 per drop pod and an extra 15 points each for an assault transport for your Dread you deserve to use it, with published rules from Forgeworld.

Archived