Gets Hot! Wound allocation

thade

This is prob cut and dry, but it's unclear to me, so here I am.

In this example I have a unit with two plasma weapons in it, both of which rapid fire. I have been rolling each model seperately for shooting, thinking that - in the event I roll a 1 - that particular model MUST make an armor save VS the Gets Hot! wound. Last week I played a guy that rolled all his Plasma at once...and when he rolled two ones, he just made saves for both of those models (failed both) and pulled them both.

My question is...it is the *model* that takes the wound and not the unit, right? I can't make a save with a bolter-guy in an endeavor to spare my plasma gun. Can I?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry if this seems discontinous; that's what happens when I post while trying to also pay mind to a guest lecturer.

You're right, it states 'firing model' on page 31.

You could lump it all together to save time if you wanted but its a mild disadvantage to do so, you might want to raise it for the guy's attention if you felt nice though.

THat's why I think it's a good idea to differentiate the plasma gunners, since it's the specific model that takes the wound. If I roll two 1s from a group firing, I can't tell if it were one model taking both saves, or two seperate models who both had their gun overheat.

THat's why I think it's a good idea to differentiate the plasma gunners, since it's the specific model that takes the wound. If I roll two 1s from a group firing, I can't tell if it were one model taking both saves, or two seperate models who both had their gun overheat.

Yeah, it was precisely this conundrum that motivated my questions here. I'm pushing the ticket at my club now, and it's catching on pretty quick. Plasma weapon-equipped models each rolling separately.

Yeah, it was precisely this conundrum that motivated my questions here. I'm pushing the ticket at my club now, and it's catching on pretty quick. Plasma weapon-equipped models each rolling separately.

It's good gaming practise to always use differently coloured dice or role separately as you say in these situations. It's kind of mentioned in the BRB with differently armed models on p18 – but not specifically on two models with the same weapon where their individual results can be critical.

Does anyone else find the wound allocation illogical?

Surely, these marines, which have trained for tens of years, could just pick up their fallen brother's weapon and keep using it if it is better for the situation than thier own bolter?

Does anyone else find the wound allocation illogical?

Surely, these marines, which have trained for tens of years, could just pick up their fallen brother's weapon and keep using it if it is better for the situation than thier own bolter?

Only if you want to tripple the point cost for special weapons, to acount for its inability to be taken out by the enemy..

For fluff Yyu can assume that the weapon is damaged, after all marines are tough, likely tougher than the weapons. Or the machine spirit is unwilling to work for a differnt marines without prayers/concecration first.

For fluff Yyu can assume that the weapon is damaged, after all marines are tough, likely tougher than the weapons. Or the machine spirit is unwilling to work for a differnt marines without prayers/concecration first.

There's also the matter of training/familiarity; especially with a notoriously prone to self-destruction weapon like plasma it's probably not a good idea to use a special weapon if you're accustomed to using a bolter; most of them do work rather differentely.

Not to mention.... perhaps its just out of ammo, or exploded, or theres a clog in the gas-intake valve from the plasma flask, or... etc etc.

Heck, the marine probly isnt even dead- just unable to contribute do to technical difficulties, or recovering from an uncontrolled plasma discharge. Casualtie does NOT mean death.

Archived