Countering the new pups on the block

Redbaron997

Well, it will definitely be difficult for us, as you've pointed out their basic troops meet and exceed ours for a cheaper price, but truthfully we should be used to being outnumbered. Just because Space Wolves have cheaper (and arguably better) basic troops doesn't make them better all around. I'm sure we'll struggle at first, but truthfully, how many people take basic Chaos Space Marines opposed to Cult Troops? And for that matter, anything they can do, our Cult Troops can do better.

I do. I'm not big on hordes of Cult Troops. It doesn't suit my force. Plus I find normal CSM's cooler.

Well, it will definitely be difficult for us, as you've pointed out their basic troops meet and exceed ours for a cheaper price, but truthfully we should be used to being outnumbered. Just because Space Wolves have cheaper (and arguably better) basic troops doesn't make them better all around. I'm sure we'll struggle at first, but truthfully, how many people take basic Chaos Space Marines opposed to Cult Troops? And for that matter, anything they can do, our Cult Troops can do better.

I do. I'm not big on hordes of Cult Troops. It doesn't suit my force. Plus I find normal CSM's cooler.

That's fine and dandy but we know the name of the game (5th ed anyway) is Troops. So if off the hop you admit yours are inferior, you have to find other (creative) ways to compensate. I used to try the basic troop, even with icons, but in a competitive environment it was a bit iffy... now it just somehow -seems- a bit worse with the Wolves.

I don't blame 'Wolves' it's just a fact.

For me personally only 1 question is important for me: are they so good that I'm at a disadvantage when playing with an optimised tourney build against one of theirs?

Atm its a clear no for me. I dont mind GH's being superior to our 'normal' marines, as I only take berzerkers and plagues. But even when comparing the 2 (GH's and CSM), it fails without taking into account the whole army build. I first have to see if GH's complement their tourney builds as good as CSM do for 'ours'.

I'm also not really a fan of troop heavy listst anyway and very few work really good. But maybe with the new wolves it will be different, we'll see.

I think plasma guns can have a place in Chaos Lists, in particular on Plague Marines and Terminators.

However, that role is not about trying to kill eternal warrior ICs who are hiding in squads. Actually, that goes for any ICs hidden in squads. It's just not an efficient approach. That said, I guess eternal warriors won't be too much of an issue, what with the attraction of Rune Priests, Logan's prohibitive cost, and other sagas that look more shiny.

Archived