The Pyre

I've just started a small force of the Pyre and was woundering if they had any existing official fluff besides the colour scheme that appeared in the old Choas Codex, as I plan om writing my own background for said chapter should existing info be limited.

I am looking for info regarding founding date, which god the follow etc.

Like the others have said, there is nothing out there. I could see them being undivided (or worshipping some lesser chaos god...saimhain??) (see the "holloweeners" thread several threads down on this page)

and using lots of flamers and plasma.

Plasma is under the energy base, not incendiary.

Hot is hot. But I see what you're saying. Although I'm not sure what melta is supposed to be or why it gets SOOOO hot it melts through the thickest armor w/ ease (I mean... what's hotter then plasma ??)

Hence why Vulcan only makes Flamers and Melta weapons twin-linked.

Interseting point (not that you ment to make it ^_^ ), you could use the C:csm and vulcan rules both for the pyre, to keep from getting bored. That's kool.

There's no official fluff on them, other than that they operate from the Eye of Terror, IIRC.

Personally, I like to think of them as rogue elements of a loyalist chapter that see themselves as "'the pyre upon which the Imperium shall burn". Usually, "pyre" is used to mean a funeral pyre, basically a method of cremation that uses a bonfire instead of a furnace. You can kinda see what they're saying here.

Of course, that's just me. You could do whatever you wanted with them.

Oh, also: Their colors are the exact opposites of the Ultramarines 1st Company. Just something to think about :) .

Also also, @chillin: From my understanding, a melta creates a fusion reaction then unleashes all that energy as an incredibly hot blast of heat, meaning it's like taking the heat from inside the sun, while a plasma weapon is more like shooting something as hot as the surface of the sun at your enemy.

If melta is "sub-atomic agitation of air" or a "fusion reaction" how is that any more "incendiary" (or "fire based)" then ""energy based" plasma ??

Melting the target is a different scenario then burning it. With fire you're trying to inflict more collateral, and mental damage to the enemy. Plasma you're trying to outright vaporize it. Meltagun is just a super Flamethrower with atomic in mind.

It seems where all on similar line with regards to the Pyre, however I am having some difficulty coming up with a suitable reason for their fall to chaos while keeping them stricly undivided.

Any suggestion?

Also have all of the Astartes Praeses chapter been named or can I have the Pyre be a part of it?

If melta is "sub-atomic agitation of air" or a "fusion reaction" how is that any more "incendiary" (or "fire based)" then ""energy based" plasma ??

Melting the target is a different scenario then burning it. Plasma you're trying to outright vaporize it. Meltagun is just a super Flamethrower with atomic in mind.

That makes no sense at all. You say in your own statement that MELTING is different then burning it, so, how then, according to your own statement, are MELTAguns in the same catagory as flamers but plaz is not ??

Your just pulling stuff outta your arse, and contradicting yourself in the process :)

There's at least two different kind of Melta weapon systems. One which melts whatever is hit (the Mars pattern), and one which shoots a jet of insanely hot fire which burns through whatever is hit for a similar effect to the melting one. (The Esteban IIV pattern.)

Source is the Imperial Munitorum Manual.

TDA

Melting the target is a different scenario then burning it. Plasma you're trying to outright vaporize it. Meltagun is just a super Flamethrower with atomic in mind.

That makes no sense at all. You say in your own statement that MELTING is different then burning it, so, how then, according to your own statement, are MELTAguns in the same catagory as flamers but plaz is not ??

Your just pulling stuff outta your arse, and contradicting yourself in the process <_<

Careful now

There are many reasons for a Chapter's fall to Chaos. Try to make the reasoning fit the Chapter's personality, that's what works for me. Do you want your chapter to be very proud and honor-seeking, turning to chaos for the chance to earn even more glory then they would at the Emperor's side? Perhaps they are very realistic and open-minded, seeing that the Imperium is falling and choosing to side with the winning side. Another is that they are very tight-knit, almost brother-hood like, and one of their most trusted members turned to Chaos, in doing so bringing the whole chapter with him.

The reasons are truly limitless.

• 2 weeks later...

Hot is hot. But I see what you're saying. Although I'm not sure what melta is supposed to be or why it gets SOOOO hot it melts through the thickest armor w/ ease (I mean... what's hotter then plasma ??)

Think of it as a gun that harnesses Microwave energy as it's condensed projectile.

The nice thing with a fresh Renegade Chapter is that you really can do almost anything. They can be a splinter fragment of pretty much any Chapter (Except Iron Hands or Grey Knights), ranging from a single squad to a whole Company that broke off/got lost/was exiled, they could be a whole Chapter that turned for the aforementioned reasons. Their length of existence can range anywhere from the Second Founding to the Twenty-Sixth.

Think about it for a while, then come back and share your thoughts. Figure out what you want as to why they turned, what sort of theme you might want to go with, etc. I'm sure plenty of folks here would be willing to give feedback. As an example, you can look at my own Shadow Acolytes for possible inspiration. In their case, it wasn't just one thing that drove them to turn, it was a series of events (badly mauled by Tyranids, getting into a spat with and then killing an Inquisitor, being attacked by another Loyalist Chapter, and then discovering Chaos artifacts).

Anyway, go crazy (well, not TOO crazy :rolleyes: ) and see what you come up with.

There are many reasons for a Chapter's fall to Chaos. Try to make the reasoning fit the Chapter's personality, that's what works for me. Do you want your chapter to be very proud and honor-seeking, turning to chaos for the chance to earn even more glory then they would at the Emperor's side? Perhaps they are very realistic and open-minded, seeing that the Imperium is falling and choosing to side with the winning side. Another is that they are very tight-knit, almost brother-hood like, and one of their most trusted members turned to Chaos, in doing so bringing the whole chapter with him.

The reasons are truly limitless.

Could always go the Arthas route. They were being lead by an Inquisitor, or there on Inquisition business, and had to do a lot of burning to eliminate a massive Nurgle influx. As they pursued it, they became obsessive with it till the Inquisition turned on them (from their perspective) and tried to stop them. Feeling betrayed, they became Renegades that take great pleasure in putting anything representing the Inquisition to the flame.

Game-wise, you could have them go berserk and just head straight for any Inquisition models on the board (kind of like BTs would with Psychers).

Archived