Chaos Dreadnought Rage

Draeden

I was looking at the Dreadnought rage rule and I couldn't help but think, in some circumstances, rage would very not be wanted. And I thought of a way to counter act rage being get 3 Rhinos and box the Dreadnought in. As in, 1 in front, one on either side. The rule says move towards the closest enemy. But what if the only way for it to be capable of moving forward, is in fact, backwards. Does anyone think that this might work as a way in preventing a shooty Dread from getting into an unwanted position?

OK so now you have a 230 pt shooty dread (10 pts less then a LR) !

The turn it rages it still doesn't shoot and the turn it frenzies it shoots your rinos. Those rinos are not doing what they were ment to, delivering troops, blocking LoS, hampering enemy movement etc.

Sounds like a very poor use of 230 pts to me.

I've tried every way there is to try and counter the gone crazy chart, none of them work. Eather don't use a dread or use one, knowing it's going to be out of your controll 1/3 of the time and just let it do whatever it's going to do. They're not even woth it in friendly game IMO

There was a topic a few weeks ago about this too. I've compared the wording of the new codex with that of the old codex and have come to this conclusion.

If you stick your dreadnoughts in front of your army and they rage, they are supposed to pivot on the spot (pivot meaning torso twist in my interpretation since the torso is on a pivot point [the gyro]), they only have an 180 degree firing arc (Rulebook - walkers). This means they can only shoot what is immediately in front and what is immediately 90 degrees to their right and left of their center axis relative to the base. With this in mind all you would have to do is keep your army behind the dreadnought's rear arc and you're troops are fine. In addition, despite fluff being sort of pointless to compre to rules, notice how many chaos legions in the novels send a whorde of dreadnoughts out ahead of their men?

If you stick your dreadnoughts in front of your army

With this in mind all you would have to do is keep your army behind the dreadnought's rear arc and you're troops are fine.

So now your rino's can only move 6" per turn, as to not get infront/beside of your dread ?

That's a huge handicap.

There is no perfect solution. Either use them and use them smart or don't use them. If you don't roll a fire frenzy then you can run anyway. I'm sure by this point you are wondering why bother with the dread at all. For that I have no answer. It's your army ultimatley.

Missile launcher dreadnought, pick frag when he gets pissy.

He still counts as moving even if he moves 0" when he rolls a 6.

Sorry but it will not work. Chaos dreads are just a symbolic way of saying: "We got princes, a greater damon, three defilers, and we can have 3 melee dreads too".

Chaos Zilla

Shooty dreads are somewhat of a dream. Missile launcher dreadnought, pick frag missile when he shoots your own stuff, makes for a decent shot or two during the game.

Most chaos dreads do best when melee oriented. Otherwise, in some themed armies like khorne, there are but few ways to get that TLLC in the army, and try to stay focused on the theme.

hey man you can always shooot the smoke launchers(I called GW you pick what he shoots in the shooting phase and I pick smoke).

Last time I checked, smoke wasn't a weapon... unless it's coming out of the Dreadnaught's arse.

The Dreadnaught is largely a deadzone item in the codex. I don't think they are useful because we didn't get a new model for them. Once we get the model, they'll need to sell them, so then the rule will change. As it stands, the only reason you'd take one is for 'fun'.

But on the bright side we do have Defilers. Not quite the same, but at least they won't turn on you.... or decide to take off on you.

hey man you can always shooot the smoke launchers(I called GW you pick what he shoots in the shooting phase and I pick smoke).

C:csm's pg. 40 under fire frenzy "must fire ALL of it's WEOPONS - twice !"

still want to stick to the "I called GW and they said I could pick smoke"story ?? <_<

I think the real question here gentlemen is,

Who takes Dreadnoughts in Competitive play? Virtually no one.

Unless ...you're Khorne...and you want Defilers and Dreadnoughts followed by a red tide....

Even so, there is nothing more interesting like watching a Chaos Dread going cuckoo and trying to take on Khârn, and get his butt handed to him. Because really. If that isn't FUN right there. Nothing in the game is.

Dreadnought: DREADNOUGHT MAD! *Swivels towards Khârn* DREADNOUGHT SMASH!

Khârn: ...HYDRAULIC FUEL FOR THE ...fuel god? :unsure: Sarcophagus...face mask for the Sarcophagus Face Mask God? :unsure:

Dreadnought explodes!

Khârn gains.....13 rubies! Khârn found a Wooden Sword! Yay! :D

Hehe leethal,

Competition - I say melee dreads stack up to par, just because chaos has so much melee, dreads are cheap enough to justify being a turn late on the charge. (Maybe even a turn early!)

Either way, dread builds for shooty are best aimed in situations where they see nothing of your force. That's rare, though if you have control over setting some nice bits of terrain, and the dread has 48" range weapons then anything is possible.

Archived