Thunderwolf Calvary Comission Sculpts

Sersi

Okay here's the deal. The GW model for Canis Wolfborne's Thunderwolf mount is ugly as sin. There are also no good models that that are large enough to easily convert. So, a buddy asked me to sculpt him one, and convert up a unit of 6. I already have allot on my plate but since I like a good challenge I'm gonna do it. But just doing one stock model would be wasting an a great modeling opportunity. Anyway here the plan:

Stage# 1

collect some reference and sketch up some ideas for the mounts.

Stage# 2

Construct the armature and rough out the sculpt and mass out the basic musculature in Super Sculpey.

Stage# 3

Sculpt the detailed anatomy in Aves sculpt.

Stage# 4

Sculpt the fur most likely using texture stamps.

Stage# 5

Detailing: saddle, reins, etc

Stage# 6

Molding and Casting the basic model to cut up for conversion, and sculpting alternate heads.

A couple of questions though:

1. What size base should they be mounted on? 60mm or a calvary base maybe.

2. If I make them big enough would a chariot base work?

3. Should the sculpts follow the image in the codex or look more like real wolves?

I'm starting tonight when I get off work. So, watch this space stages 1-3 are gonna go quick, pictures to follow. I'm going to really push myself to see how far I can get by Oct 3. :HQ:

Looking forward to seeing these wolves. I think the chariot base would be a good size ( Or a 60mm) and making them like the codex would look cool.

Yea i agree the gw wolf just looks funny, the tail makes it look like it wants to play around; It almost looks friendly (kinda like a puppy) :) ( Will have to wait till I see it in person though )

Just my 2 cents

An admirable endevor! I look forward to seeing how it goes

(even though I actually like Canis, he's certainly not a model I'd like to try and build a squad around. all other wolf riding options are completely unsatisfactory, so I was wondering if it's possible to get in on the commission?)

Although we have commonly had posters in the past show off their progress on their commission work, I would to leave a firm reminder that previews of the WIP is acceptable, but as per the B&C rules, any suggestions at further selling and/or trading is not acceptable.

Archived