sternguard ammo

Chompers

But aren't heavy bolters simply larger versions of the regular bolter? Like the machine gun version of one.

Doesn't matter, since the rules say that only standard boltguns and combi-weapons can use special ammunition. Statwise and fluff wise storm bolters have more in common with normal bolters than a heavy bolter does, and those don't get special ammunition either.

As insensible as it may seem, from the description for sternguard ammo, the special ammo types do not apply to stormbolter armed sternguard.

But, just to put an interestong point into the mix, the stormbolter is listed with other "combi-" weapons and I can't see why there would be an option to "upgrade" to a weapon that is simply worse than their basic wargear.

Linked to this is the fluff that stormbolters were the evolution of twin-linked bolters (ie combi-bolter/bolter).

Sadly the GW website doesn't have any ruling in their FAQ's for this... e-mail to the GW rule guys perhaps?

But aren't heavy bolters simply larger versions of the regular bolter? Like the machine gun version of one.

you go ahead and try firing a .22 from a magnum, see what happens ;)

More like M16 (5.56mm) ammo in FN Minimi (5.56mm), aka M249 SAW, which, depending on whose version, can use magazines from the rifles/carbines (at least with the Canadian Forces).

However, I am not saying it is the same in this case. Just providing a closer analogy of Mr_I_am_Hungry's question. Or maybe it should more like 5.56mm to 7.62mm (M60, FN Mag 58, etc).

you go ahead and try firing a .22 from a magnum, see what happens :)

Slightly off topic, sorry, but you piqued my interest - assuming that somehow i could (truth be told, i don't know enough about guns to answer how) have a really small bullet fire from an over-sized (diameter) barrel...would it just go pffffttt....or bounce around? or wedge into the barrel? or (assuming somehow the primer was centered and could be hit by the pin of the larger gun) would all the gas and propellant just fly out around it (Warner Brothers® cartoon style?).

I vote for...uh..pfffft. assuming, of course, it could fire. but am curious. Anyone know for sure, or is this one for Mythbusters®? (Cute redheads with guns? OK!)

OK, this is WAYYYYY off topic, as tends to happen with this subject. bring it back in line or I'll close the topic.

as has been stated: Special Issue ammo can be used only in "bolters" or boltguns, the rapid fire variety only plus combi flamers / meltas / plasmas. NOT heavy or storm bolter nor bolt pistols. this is the general consensus reached previously and used by every event I have looked into.

But, just to put an interestong point into the mix, the stormbolter is listed with other "combi-" weapons and I can't see why there would be an option to "upgrade" to a weapon that is simply worse than their basic wargear.

Not at all.

Stormbolters are assault weapons, which is allows the unit more flexibility and range than bolters. Stormbolters also always get 2 shots at 24", versus the bolters 1 shot.

In no way is a storm bolter worse than a bolter. That's why it doesn't get the special ammo. It already is an upgrade.

Not at all.

Stormbolters are assault weapons, which is allows the unit more flexibility and range than bolters. Stormbolters also always get 2 shots at 24", versus the bolters 1 shot.

In no way is a storm bolter worse than a bolter. That's why it doesn't get the special ammo. It already is an upgrade.

I don't think anyone disputes that stom bolters are better than normal bolters; however, many would argue that a storm bolter with standard ammunition is worse than a bolter with special ammunition.

all the special ammo is rapid fire. storm bolters are assault. a special ammo weapon wouldn't allow a model to assault after firing. yes, it's a different role, but one that you may wish to have. additionally, the number of shots at range may serve to benefit a certain list build. not all targets are hard, in cover, etc... and the ability to generate a volume of fire at range can be quite useful. see: "ork mob."

so like Kronk said - the SB is an upgrade to the bolter in a number of ways. There's definitely a question of balance - volume of fire at range and assault vs. Special issue ammo and combi weapons, but THAT is a topic for Tactica Astartes not the +OR+.

My point seems to have come across incorrectly (or simply been misunderstood) - what I was going for was that a stormbolter (24" S4 AP5 assault2) is not as good as the range of ammo available to a sternguard squad, and that "I" (as in me personally) couldn't see the merit in paying for a weapon that was worse (given the details mentioned above).

Granted others may have a use for sternguard with stormbolters, but I'd prefer the tactical flexibility over more long range shots.

I'd never argue that a regular bolter (24" S4 AP5 rapid fire) was better than a stormbolter (24" S4 AP5 assault2) - thats just madness! lol

Archived