Chaos Spawn

Corpse.

Just popping in real quick to check to see if that old thread with spawn movement+charge distance and attacks/damage ratio math-hammer was still here. I cant find it no matter how I google and search-fu the site. Hoping its not lost to the void from the previous site crash some year or two ago.

Anyone know where it is?

He had the whole scale of the % chance of every dice roll between two dice. So it would be a waste if it really is lost.

I'm trying to figure out the real points cost to the model and I'll be needing it. Filling out a request I cannot fill, anyone have the 2 dice % scale?

Just take the 36 possible rolls for 2d6.

1/36 chance to move 1 inch

--

3/36 (1/12) chance to move 2 inches

--

5/36 chance to move 3 inches

--

7/36 chance to move 4 inches

--

9/36 (1/4) chance of moving 5 inches

--

11/36 chance to move 6 inches.

so that's:

1 - 2.7%

2 - 8.3%

3 - 13.9%

4 - 19.4%

5 - 25%

6 - 30.6%

Ty.

Err, forgot that small thing is against the rules.

I'll get back to work on this and post it here when I'm done.

(Re-edit)

Ok here it is.

Re-phrasing it real fast.

Two dice, Any dice 1/2(etc) is dice 1, dice two being possibly the highest.

Dice 1(1-6 results) & Dice 2 (capped results) = % (final chance)

1 & 1 = 2.7%

1/2 & 2 = 8.3%

1/2/3 & 3 = 13.9%

1/2/3/4 & 4 = 19.4%

1/2/3/4/5 & 5 = 25%

1/2/3/4/5/6 & 6 = 30.6%

Assuming the turn system will always stop at turn 5, added with the 3.5 result of 1 dice. About 8" a turn is the average. 8-12" assault makes it 10" average, so 18" is whats expected average. (Somehow that doesnt sound right)

Weaponskill 3. Most WS 4's are either toughness-3 4+ average save, or MEQ.

Initiative 3 matches most GEQ's, falls against most marines (plague marines/powerfists).

Strength and Toughness makes str3/tough3 a severe disadvantage with 2+ and 6's.

Multiple wounds with allocation can take 6 hits before starting to remove models, for hits such as three leman russes dishing pain with 9 HB's and 3 cannons. Wound allocation starts after the first set of wounds, otherwise it just layers.

Standard Toughness requires str10 or special rule to instant kill the model, very few armies have such equipment taken.

Average 3.5 attacks a model, assuming the high chance few may roll very good of a max 7 per model on the charge can "attack" similar to two marines worth. The charge, with initial unwounded unit of 3 taking 6 wounds before removing models at toughness 5 can I will assume all three most likely will get their attacks. Rapid fire range not entirely possible unless rolling bad for assaulting, ensuring most guns will fire once at them before they arrive. Hinders wound allocation after that. In all likely hood of the unit being targetted before others the unit again may arrive unharmed on target.

120 points for three. 10.5 attacks average, +3 for charging. 18" distance average turn movement more often granting two or three turn assault like a rhino army. First turn assault if lash is involved or the opponent moved close first. Str 5 can harm any vehicle and creature except monoliths and land raiders. Average 1/6 attacks to hit a skimmer, and 1/3 attacks will harm it makes it 18 attacks, or 4 spawns worth to knock a skimmer good. Difficult terrain not an issue for them so deployment thought patterns go for controlling their random movement rule. Their speed ensures that whatever lures them, better be a land raider or monolith deep striking (Biggest hazard!). Assuming such things are taken into value, short range anti vehicle weapons and assault models taken can alleviate the drawback.

Able to hurt anything but two models = Bonus.

Those two models can control the spawns = Drawback of almost equal measure.

18" Average movement = Bonus.

Possible to roll bad and not only be slow, but get in the way of others with random movement = Equal drawback if not worse.

Random attacks boosting to a possible 7 per model = Bonus.

Able to have 1 attack minimum per model = Almost an equal drawback.

Random movement makes it hard to divide the models with sufficient space to avoid blasts well enough = Drawback.

Wound allocation is a bonus against units with massed firepower capable of wounding up to 5 models of T5 value.

My conclusion for tactics:

Cover them with raptors or bikes to grant 4+ cover saves on the way in. Tactics are slim, and sometimes taking a single spawn is alright. Have them near a firepower dreadnought to soak heavy hits from lascannons and so on. To keep them as a counter-assault, pin one model between several other models. Nuisance to control so don't try IMO. Like dogs let loose, they will attack the closest enemy, regardless of LoS. They suffer most to being fearless and losing combat, this is where a unit can die in one round. Leadership 10 has meager results to off rules like callidus' gun and farseer mindwar.

The unit can have a slaanesh HQ riding a steed, granting a form of instant death and a model that moves with the same(ish) speeds.

Unclear results if you can fleet away from the enemy if desired, making sure they stay still. Since the fleet move is not in the movement phase, but still counts as "moving" the mindless rule may still take precedence in forcing the fleet towards the nearest foe.

So here's the results.

Starting the stats at a solid 30 points before any rules (Ogryns without their guns or save and options).

Fearless is as much a hinderance given they have LD10 and no save, -5 pts.

Slow and purposeful -8 pts granted they are beasts.

Random attacks +4 pts, not a big benefit but can be devastating.

Mindless -2 pts, its not that big a deal given their stats can hurt almost anything.

Beast +10 pts (tyranid warrior getting fleet, removing move through cover, and getting leap as comparison)

Unlimited unit choices regardless of FoC +4 pts.

Does not count as scoring even though they are fast attack 0 points change.

30-5-8+4-2+10+4=33 pts total.

The model is overcosted by 7 points.

Interesting Corpse, I think that in fun lists I'd run with some Spawn, just because the model is so unique and cool.

I feel that one of the best ways to protect them is with a Rhino screen, as 1 Rhino should be enough to cover 2-3 of them.

Actually I've considered using them as a counter deepstrike unit. Put a few of them behind a Vindicator or such, when Terminators come in and fry that Vindicator, you can tie them up for a good long time with the Spawns.

Of course Dreadnoughts will insta-kill you and you can't hurt them so that sucks...

Archived