My First Mini!

Perhaps you should've sprayed it beforehand? Depends if you have any of not. If you don't there's something to put on your list of purchases :P Keep going with this one by all means, use it as another test subject for your painting :P

Perhaps you should've sprayed it beforehand? Depends if you have any of not. If you don't there's something to put on your list of purchases :P Keep going with this one by all means, use it as another test subject for your painting :P

I purposefully didnt spray it :P

I just wanted to see that I can paint a model to a certain standard!

On another note: I know there is, occasionally, a certain stigma attached to gaming with unpainted models but how would my above model look on a gaming table?

Looking good for a 2nd ever mini, couple of quick tips to improve massively though! (these are really really easy, and will make the finished product look much better):

- Undercoat before applying colours. Black/white/grey are the most common undercoat colours, going with your current scheme I'd suggest a black spray.

- Mould lines, they look awful and let down even the most artful of paintjobs, however a well prepped mini can look great with even a mediocre paintjob!

- Thin your paints (this is the most important), if you're using acrylics then water is the way forward, thin your paint to about the consistency of milk, this will make it look smoother and with a couple of coats give you better coverage. If you're using enamels, a suitable thinner should be on sale along with them, normally some kind of solvent/spirit.

Looking good for a 2nd ever mini, couple of quick tips to improve massively though! (these are really really easy, and will make the finished product look much better):

- Undercoat before applying colours. Black/white/grey are the most common undercoat colours, going with your current scheme I'd suggest a black spray.

- Mould lines, they look awful and let down even the most artful of paintjobs, however a well prepped mini can look great with even a mediocre paintjob!

- Thin your paints (this is the most important), if you're using acrylics then water is the way forward, thin your paint to about the consistency of milk, this will make it look smoother and with a couple of coats give you better coverage. If you're using enamels, a suitable thinner should be on sale along with them, normally some kind of solvent/spirit.

I am aware of all the tips...

I didnt bother with the undercaoat this time, simply because its about my ability to paint the mini to an acceptable standard with whatever colours (I have irritatingly shaky hands whenever im trying to be careful!!!)

Mould lines i left on simply because the AoBR minis I am using are simply a test bed for my ability, such as it is :P, to paint!

I have been using Citadel Foundation Paints.. Which I have been advised to thin and I have actually done... Im guessing not enough though?

If you were to field an army painted like that i'd certainly play against you. A basic (if not well executed) paint scheme tends to look really good when in large groups.

As to the model (i'll skip to V0.2) i think you're being a bit harsh on yourself. Painting minis involves several techniques that are relativly simple but you need to know them first. Thins like undercoating/mould lines/thin paints as metioned above will get you well on your way. Then it's about taking the time to paint in some of the details - metal bits, etc - to bring your model to life. And my personal favourite: washing. Applying a very very watered down coat of a darker colour (i usually go with black) to the whole model brings it more to life. It collects in the cracks and crevices to give depth to our minis.

Do a bit of reading around and then give V0.3 a go. Practive makes all the difference and i'm sure you'll be painting to a happy standard soon! :P

Al

Mini 2 looks a lot neater than mini 1, so you're making progress already. Even though you're doing test models at the moment I would still take the time to undercoat them first, as it helps the paint stick to the model - otherwise it can pool as it dries and give an uneven finish. It's physically easier to paint an undercoated mini than a non-undercoated one.

I agree with above, mini 2 definitely better than 1. Another little tip that works surprisingly well is to wash the models quickly before painting as the plastic often has a bit of an oily coat to allow an easy release from the mould. Removing this layer makes it a bit nicer to paint with.

I know you are testing your painting ability, but a quick spray makes everything look a bit better and I find makes it easier to paint.

I'm trying to use some of the foundation paints too. They are designed to be quite thin, but full of pigment to give a good covering. They don't need a massive amount of watering down and for beginners (including myself) watery paint can be a little tricky to control. Make your brush is kept as clean and fine nibbed as possible and make sure you only get paint on the very tip, we're all (well I am anyway) guilty of trying to put a bit too much on to speed-up the painting.

Looking at the colours you are using, washes will probably not help a great deal, but if you change the scheme, washes are so useful for us beginners.

Basic tips for the tremor (I'm sure you've heard them but oh well). Avoid caffeine for a few hours before painting, being well hydrated will definately help.

All the best, keep us posted!

NOICE!! Youve progressed further on your second attempt then i did on my first ARMY! My first army looked entirly like your first mini. Now thats expensive.

You already look like your figuring things out for yourself. And in all honesty we can give you as many tips as you like but its down you learning what works for you. Id still big up the washes tho haha. Not so important on black but on the blue areas it could look great.

As said above... using a black or white primer spray isnt really about makeing the model all one colour before you paint its about providing a surface in which the paint sticks.

You will find painting over a plastic suface you feel like your just pushing the paint around sometimes. On a primer the paint sticks to the surface and you can layer less paint on to acheive a smoother finish.

If youve got the citadel foundation paints what id suggest is you find a bigish brush and find a suitable colour for a base coat. and cover the entire model in it, ti dosnt have to be perfect and it dosnt have to be thick, just try and create a matt surface over the entire model. Then try paint over it hopefully you will see the difference in what its like to paint... well primers are easyer then that.

Looking good. Having recently completed painting my first 1200 pts of Space marines, starting with the AoBR set, you're doing great. Most important thing I've found is to not force yourself to paint. If you feel like painting some minis, paint some minis, if not, watch some tv or whatever you'd rather be doing. I forced myself through an Assault Terminator Squad and a Landspeeder just so I'd have a fully painted force to play with (painting till 4am then gaming at 10am = loss), but I ended up having to go back over most of the important areas on the Termies and the Speeder. Good luck with the rest.

You will find painting over a plastic surface you feel like your just pushing the paint around sometimes. On a primer the paint sticks to the surface and you can layer less paint on to achieve a smoother finish.

I second that, and also well done for the improvement you've made so far.

Don't worry, my first mini was a blob of blue paint ;) (Battle for Macragge) I started when I was a wee tike of 10 But I just kept painting the same thing over and over again (all the details were gone I had sprayed it so much) and when i made it look nice i was happy for a few minute but then I thought, not good enough and now no matter how well I paint something I don't ever think it's good enough (try not to end up like me in that aspect) but you'll get better with time and practice. Good work so far.

Looking forward to your progress :D

I understand that you just want to test your basic painting abilities.

But preparing your model, that is, removing mold lines, assembly, putting it on a base and undercoating is as much part of the whole paintjob as well.

If you don't start doing these things from the start, too, all the time practicing painting will be wasted.

I understand that you just want to test your basic painting abilities.

But preparing your model, that is, removing mold lines, assembly, putting it on a base and undercoating is as much part of the whole paintjob as well.

If you don't start doing these things from the start, too, all the time practicing painting will be wasted.

I understand your point entirely, although I disagree.

My one barrier is simply the painting, because it can involve some fairly intricate details such as a Crux Terminatus that require a steady hand.

The models I'm practising on will never be used for gaming and the fact that I'm quite happy that when I get some 'serious' models that mould lines wont be an issue..

On another note...

I'm on attempt #3 (kind of).

I have just undercoated, with spray :), a number of models.

What would be the follow-on steps?

I do have a printed verion of Painting Space Marines from an old WD issue (courtesy of GW Website) but its not as simple as I would like!

If you don't start doing these things [undercoating, etc] from the start, too, all the time practicing painting will be wasted.

My one barrier is simply the painting, because it can involve some fairly intricate details such as a Crux Terminatus that require a steady hand.

The models I'm practising on will never be used for gaming and the fact that I'm quite happy that when I get some 'serious' models that mould lines wont be an issue..

Not undercoating makes painting more difficult, so why hamstring yourself before you even start?

I do have a printed verion of Painting Space Marines from an old WD issue (courtesy of GW Website) but its not as simple as I would like!

Painting Space Marines Stage-by-Stage on the GW website - the web articles are notoriously wayyyy more simple than the stuff they give you in White Dwarf. Just four steps from start to finish (ignore the Ultramarine one as that's a bit overly complicated be begin with) and they've shown a variety of colours (blue, green, white and dark blue) to give you the right starting technique.

Hopefully that's not the un-simple one you're using already ;)

If you don't start doing these things [undercoating, etc] from the start, too, all the time practicing painting will be wasted.

Not undercoating makes painting more difficult, so why hamstring yourself before you even start?

Painting Space Marines Stage-by-Stage on the GW website - the web articles are notoriously wayyyy more simple than the stuff they give you in White Dwarf. Just four steps from start to finish (ignore the Ultramarine one as that's a bit overly complicated be begin with) and they've shown a variety of colours (blue, green, white and dark blue) to give you the right starting technique.

Hopefully that's not the un-simple one you're using already ;)

It was just the mould lines thing I was getting at, uncoating is now a part of my arsenal... And thanks Starblayde, that is a totally different How To than i have!

I shall endeavour to get some pics up tomorrow evening, as Im at work for the next 24 hours!

Yeah but why bother trying to paint these details when there's this big mould line all over it? I just don't understand you. I don't have the money for paints, brushes and of course minis to make a dividing line betwenn "serious" and "practice" minis.

On another note...

I'm on attempt #3 (kind of).

I have just undercoated, with spray ;), a number of models.

Uhm, well now you paint of course. And enjoy the fact that your paints will stay on the mini! ^^

Yeah but why bother trying to paint these details when there's this big mould line all over it? I just don't understand you. I don't have the money for paints, brushes and of course minis to make a dividing line betwenn "serious" and "practice" minis.

To put it simply... My original idea was to but the Rulebook and SM Codex, so I could decide which way to go with a new army and purchase modes accordingly.

Instead I bought AoBR for a little extra cost and got some models, which are not as adaptable as standard, with which to practice on.

See, to me at least, I take this seriously enough to want to do it well.. And I wont pay, for example, for a Squad of Marines which might then turn out badly. I would rather practice on the ones I'm never going to game with.

is that so hard to understand?

I didn't want to flame you or anything. I just don't understand why you would refuse to do something like removing mold lines and basing your mini, two things that don't take more than five minutes alltogether, and which would allow you to use these minis later as fillers for squads and stuff like that.

I also take this serious. As serious as you can take little plastic soldiers, and I just spend a lot of time building, preparing and converting my minis before they see any paint.

What you shouldn't forget is that it is not only the cost of minis for you. No matter how good you look after them, your brushes will only be good for a number of minis before they die. The same is with your paints. And if you get GW paints and brushes, that can also become very expensive in time.

Try to understand me. I've been on this board for a while, and there are many painting beginners that at first refuse a lot of advice for no good reason at all. It's commendable that you got yourself some more basic minis for practice. But if you don't treat them like the real deal and just ignore some of the things you'll do with your "real" minis, all the practice is for nothing.

I always have a test model or 3 before i start a new army, often thouse models will fall to the sidline because they arnt to the same refined standard as the rest of the army because as you paint each model you learn new techniques and eventualy the first couple of models you do look crummy as your develop your skills so they get left out.

Its a natural part of the hobby to get test models, I have tyranid, necron and grey knight models that are all test models that after painting a few I decided I didnt enjoy it. (i love the grey knight models I just HATE painting metals and i will go back to that army if they come out in plastics or when the updated codex EVENTUALY comes out).

Some people feel the need to have a test model some know exactly what they are doing from the word go, im one that needs them and by the looks fo it so is The Captain. Especialy when your new you have to go through a bit of trial and error before you find your comfort zone. Besides AoBR minis look terrible in my opinion, test minis is all they are good for.

And if its a test mini mould lines are a trivial thing.

Im going to probasbly go througha few minis when i try my hand at glazeing over the next few weeks (after i tie up all my other projects first).

Minor Details:

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu154/Kaayvan/IMGP0287.jpghttp://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu154/Kaayvan/IMGP0288.jpghttp://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu154/Kaayvan/IMGP0289.jpg

Boltgun + Unpainted Powerpack

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu154/Kaayvan/IMGP0290.jpghttp://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu154/Kaayvan/IMGP0291.jpg

So, what do we think...?

Archived