My First Mini!

Looking a lot better. To give the armor some depth and shadows, you should give it a wash with Thraka Green or Black.

The cool thing about washes is that they sink into the recesses and do all the shadowing for you

Im actually really pleased, simply because I got the eyes done on this one!

Really I want to touch up a few spots and do the skull on the backpack before i press on with anything else.

Whats the best way to complete a wash of that kind? The resources I have to hand dont have that level of detail!

Wow much much better :) White still looks thick but we can bypass that since white is notorious to paint, and practise after all will boost that. But your colour choice is quite nice :) Cathar is right on washes and so on but you can buy those later on when you're ready to

Im actually really pleased, simply because I got the eyes done on this one!

Really I want to touch up a few spots and do the skull on the backpack before i press on with anything else.

Whats the best way to complete a wash of that kind? The resources I have to hand dont have that level of detail!

You should finish the armor first before you start with the details. Washing is a messy technique and you would just ruin the details with it.

All the ressources you need for it is a brush and a wash. Just apply the wash to the armor and wait for it to sink in

Hey, lemme show a little support and say that's a great first mini. Good work.

I'm currently learning how to do conversions and blending and all kinds of more advanced techniques, so I know how it can feel to have an idea of what you want things to look like, and then you get to work and it doesn't look how you envision it. The only way you're going to get better is through practice and a lot of it, and yes you may blow a model or two during the learning process.

Lookin' good!

Loving the attempt dude its much much nicer already, sharper and crisper lines. Using washes is really simple, just take the colour you want in your case a black ro dark green wash badab black wash would be a good one that you can use on any paint scheme, water it down a little bit, and cover the model in it fairly quickly, soak the excess pools of wash o with the corner of kitchen roll and leave it to litterally drip dry.

It is another thing that you will learn to control better as you use it and learn better judgment of what consistancy you need, but its a really simple and easy way of getting a shaded and hilighted model without the tedious, time consuming and difficult job of high lighting by hand.

I always think its better to over thin the wash first till you learn what sort of effect you want and just go over it a few times once its dry, till you get a effect your happy with.

I like my models looking very dirty so I use my wash nealy straight out of the pot.

As these are trial models take one of your test models and water down some black paint till its the same sort of consistancy as water, and cover one fo your models in it that should give you a wash like coverage and show you what it will acheive, though again its not as good as a real wash.

Well done keep up the good work.

no one starts off perfect. just follow the painting guides on the gw website for a good start. my first few space marines looked like that because i too didnt know much about painting techniques. just follow the painting guides is my best advice for beginners.

So, what do we think...?

Coming on in leaps and bounds, mate, be proud of that. The next step in the painting arsenal is, as others have mentioned, the shading with washes, before the highlighting. This can also be tricky, but you seem to have mastered the basics already so good luck!

Looking good. As has been said, its often easiest to do washes before painting a lot of detail, since it can be quite messy - this is normal and not something to worry about.

One thing to bear in mind is that washes generally take longer to dry than normal coats of paint, since they're thinner and pool in the recesses (whcich is how they work after all). After a wash its a good idea to leave it for a good half an hour, rather than the 5-10 minutes you can get away with normally, otherwise you can end up smudging things.

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Looking good. As has been said, its often easiest to do washes before painting a lot of detail, since it can be quite messy - this is normal and not something to worry about.

One thing to bear in mind is that washes generally take longer to dry than normal coats of paint, since they're thinner and pool in the recesses (whcich is how they work after all). After a wash its a good idea to leave it for a good half an hour, rather than the 5-10 minutes you can get away with normally, otherwise you can end up smudging things.

Washes will be my next step then, sadly nothing will be forthcoming for a while as I have a hectic weekend with work!

I can see you improving your paintingskills much like I did/am still doing.

I recieved my copy of Space Hulk a month ago and could not stand it that these awesome miniatures stayed unpainted. Went to the local gamingstore and bought myself a crapload of painting gooddies and started up. I dare not even post my first mini (ashamed!), the C.A.T. is more a molted blob of colours than an actual detailed miniature.

I decided to do the Stealers first then. Wow, pretty neat! Drybrushing and detailing for a noob like me, I was clearly impressed by my painting skills. So I decided to paint Scipio. I consider him one of my reserves now, he's so foul! Much to thick an undercoat and my detailing/highlighting sucked.

Posted below is Deino, my fifth Terminator and tenth mini (including Genestealers) since my last paintjob when I was 13 ('93). I consider everything I did in the previous millennium void since I did not know anything about the proper painting materials and techniques.

http://www.cymetec.com/deino.jpg

I'm pretty happy with Deino and Goriel is proving to be better so far. The only thing I can say is don't give up (like so many others mentioned) and have loads and loads of patience! From your first posted pics to the ones towards the end there is definately improvement coming along.

I'll post Scipio along this post as well when I get his digital picture at the office, for laughs ;)

Game on!

PS: Sorry to hog your thread, but as a apprentice painter and a newby to these forums I'm just trying to encourage you (and me) ;)

Keep at it and you will improve with every mini you paint, much like Vichama stated B) my first mini's were hideous and im not entirely happy with my level of skill at the moment, but if you read up some painting techniques on the web and keep trying then you will keep getting better and better, believe me.

I myself have not even got within 5 foot of my SH models with a paintbrush yet as i want them to look as good as i can make them, I love the look of brother Denio above by the way, a fine testament to the fact that you get better at the hobby over time, keep up the good work.

but if you read up some painting techniques on the web and keep trying then you will keep getting better and better, believe me.

Definately! I learned most of my current techniques from youtube. I think Girlpainting's channel is a real asset to every new painter (just don't compare your models to hers at the end of the day, she's a pro! ;) ), at least it was for me. She hasn't got the greatest voice-over, but she covers the painting very well, what is at the end of the day, what it's all about... Jawaballs is another channel on youtube who gives great tutorials and admits in his clips that its not bad to make mistakes (especially at the first ones). I recall something about a steady hand (not my best property) B)

I'd say check em out! ;)

Ow yes, and inks (washes) are your best friend from my humble experience. Also I tend to paint more relaxing after chucking down some pints. This might be the starting sign of an addiction but I'll find that out soon enough :blink:

Also I tend to paint more relaxing after chucking down some pints. This might be the starting sign of an addiction but I'll find that out soon enough

You aren't alone there, hehe. :lol:

And yes, i also found Jawaballs' videos very helpful indeed. You should check them out.

Unfortunatly no pictures, sadly my digicam is being a pain in the posterior!

I have experimented with different colours as a basecoat, after a black undercoat, and I have decided that green works the best for me.. Which ties in nicely with my ditched ambition of playing IF, in favour of the Sons of Vulkan!

Archived