If you kill your target, can you assault something else?

thade

Just that. Rules state that a unit can only assault the unit that it fired upon...but what if during the shooting phase a unit destroys what it shoots at. Can it then assault something else?

My presumption is No (meaning melta-popping a tank then charging in on another unit is a no-no).

My presumption is No (meaning melta-popping a tank then charging in on another unit is a no-no).

No, but with one exception that is often overlooked. If you pop a trasnport in shooting, you may assault the passangers of the transport (if there were any).

The transport and contained unit have always been a big discussion point in many games. I have always heard that since the transport and unit are seperate units, your not able to assault the unit in the transport with the unit that destroyed it. Is there a place I can confirm that in the rule book for any games where it comes up? I have looked but never found it.

Really? That is AWESOME!

We've always played that you cannot assault a unit that was embarked in a vehicle that just got a destroyed result b/c of the whole "separate target" issue. I can't believe I missed that little nugget of knowledge. Thanks!

As an aside though, couldn't your opponent then argue, following the rules for assault, since it wasn't the unit targeted by your shooting, you cannot assault it?

As an aside though, couldn't your opponent then argue, following the rules for assault, since it wasn't the unit targeted by your shooting, you cannot assault it?

Then what would be the point of the rule that says you can do it? :D

Then what would be the point of the rule that says you can do it? :)

Haha oh I completely agree, it seems to make sense that if it says you can assault if normal restrictions allow, the you're allowed.

I'm playing devil's advocate cuz I can see this turning into a circular argument of,

"Ok I can charge you b/c pg 60 says embarked units that are forcibly disembarked due to a destroyed result can be charged as per the Assault rules."

..quick thumbing to Assault rules....

"No you can't b/c Assault rules state you can only assault the unit you targeted with shooting and you targeted the VEHICLE, which you destroyed. So no charging the occupants."

"Right but pg 60 says..."

"No pg XXX says..."

And so forth until I break out the Exterminatussock

you pull out the rulebook and point to it, its an exception, and therefore trumps.

An exception that explicitly mentions the rule that it trumps, no less. It's the way it is.

EDIT: And thank goodness. =)

Archived