Quick question on the Night Lords

wilkuu

Hi all. I'm just about to start my Night Lords army with the intent of being as fluffy as can be. Saying this, i would really like to use some Forge World Plague Marines and possibly some Forge World Termies. Reason being is that i'm not a fan of any of the Nurgle Armies out there and i'm not that into making new warbands. Now i've gone back and forth and i was wondering if anyone has done anything similar?

The reason im drawn to the Night Lords (aside from my World Eaters list) is down to the terror factor. Using that mindset, there would be nothing more scary than a unit of Plague Marines hurtling toward you. Also, from what i understand about the Night Lords, they think themselves as above any of the cult units on offer so with that, then surely they feel they can rule command over a cult unit. (ie; 1st attack wave, ground and pound).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Danny

Actually the Night Lords IA says they will fight alongside Cult units

Night Lords are exceptionally versatile in their use of the forces of Chaos, employing the hell-spawned powers of each of the major Chaos deities with equal favour. It is just as likely that the Night Lords will be seen fighting alongside a group of foul Plague Marines as it is the warriors of the Thousand Sons. However, it has been ascertained that the Night Lords have nothing but scorn for faith in ail its forms, whether it be the fanatical bloodlust of the Khornate Berzerker or the devotion of the Imperial creed. The only authority they recognise is that of temporal power and material wealth.

However, it has been ascertained that the Night Lords have nothing but scorn for faith in ail its forms,

But using this scorn as a device for their use of cult units? Surely the NL can use them for means of preparation of the battle field before they come in? As opposed to actually seeing it as fielding a unit of nurgle, see it as "using" a unit of nurgle to minimalise the chance of casualties for the Lords. Perhaps more effective if you call them a flesh shield. Also, the Plague units won't be clad in pure night lords armour. They will carry the usual marks of the Night Lords and perhaps the odd piece of corsucated armour but they will have their torso and such in my small devised Nurgle unit named as the "Sons of the Sire".

This kind of army would be very easy to invent a perfectly servicable background for:

Perhaps your Night Lords are a particular splinter of the legion that, for whatever reason, have become afflicted with a particularly virulent warp borne plague, and have now come to relish the terror and disgust it evoes in their enemies.

Also, remember that fear is one of Father Nurgle's many aspects, and theNight Lords are masters of the art of terror. It isn't much of a stretch to conceive that certain splinters of the legion might eventually come under Pappa Nurgle's sway.

nurgle is love and stagnation . not changing equals no fear .

Perhaps your Night Lords are a particular splinter of the legion that, for whatever reason, have become afflicted with a particularly virulent warp borne plague, and have now come to relish the terror and disgust it evoes in their enemies.

you know this way you could play a warband of zerkers and say they are a splinter warband that was lured to worship slanesh . if a warband of NL , goes nurgle they are no longer NL , they are a renegade nurgle warband.

We don't want to play Black Legion, thats why.

but there is no difference and with counts as you can play anything .

So again, the plague marines work alongside the army, so its not a pure NLs army.

Ill use Zerkers and Plagues once in a while when playing for fun, and I just consider them the last surviving unit in their battalion, or something along those lines, and theyre out to avenge their fallen.

Really, the fluff is up to you, but I personally (not trying to be a dink here) wouldnt consider that a true NL army.

Honestly, man... It all really depends on you. If you want to play pure Night Lords and follow the fluff, then only use the Plague Marines as meat shields and distractions. If even. But they won't be a part of the Night Lords Legion, if you're going by the fluff. So no lightning armor or winged helmets. And Jeske, there's a difference in playing Night Lords and Black Legion. Not only the color scheme (I love both of them, especially the Night Lords), but also the style of play and the units you use. Can you justify taking Raptors in any other army over Oblits or Berzerkers? Not really. Most people will call you insane and uncompetitive for it. But that's the point, you're playing within the fluff of the Night Lords, in order to represent the Night Lords legion in its true glory. The Black Legion is there for being generic (in this ed), the "excuse to mix cults and marks" Legion. I mean, you can't represent a terror-tactics Legion with Khorne berzerkers. Sure, it's scary seeing frothing maniacs run at you with chain axes waving about. But it's terrifying to hear shrieks and growls, distorted roars of all sorts of animals, the screams of your fellows as they are cut down. Sure it's scary seeing plague-infested zombie-marines, but it's terrifying to stand in the dark, nearly blinded, and suddenly have a squad-mate five feet away explode from a bolter shell.

nurgle is love and stagnation . not changing equals no fear .

But the fear brought on by a charging group of Plague Marines is what i'm after. The Plague Marines can even be classed as "pets" of the NL.

Also, remember that fear is one of Father Nurgle's many aspects, and theNight Lords are masters of the art of terror. It isn't much of a stretch to conceive that certain splinters of the legion might eventually come under Pappa Nurgle's sway.

Thats not really what i had in mind. I love the fact that the NL despise Chaos and them using Plagueys as a Terror 1st Attack Fleshshield signifies their contempt for such units.

Hi all. I'm just about to start my Night Lords army with the intent of being as fluffy as can be. Saying this, i would really like to use some Plague Marines

, there would be nothing more scary than a unit of Plague Marines hurtling toward you.

Ah yes, the "anything that is scarry is fluffy for NL's and everything in the csm dex is scarry, therefore everything in the chaos dex is fluffy for NL's rationalization. What could be scarrier then PM's ? What could be scarrier then blood crazed brzrkrs ? What could be scarrier then robotic T'sons walking relentlessly toward you as your bullets passed through them with no affect ? And my favorite, "my slanny lash DP counts as a NL's DP that is so terrifying that he scares enemies into going where he wants them to go".

You can eather have a NL's army that is fluffy OR you can have a "NL's" army (in name only) that has PM's in it (for whatever BS reason that you make up) that is totally unfluffy.

Can I just say, as the source of that "Slaanesh Lash Prince counting-as Night Lords Prince" quote, that I would never, ever, ever go so against the fluff of the Night Lords. Sure, I'd play against someone who used one, but I'd find it hard to stop my eyes rolling. It's just always bugged me seeing that quote as someones signature taken out of context (not intentionally).

You can eather have a NL's army that is fluffy OR you can have a "NL's" army (in name only) that has PM's in it (for whatever BS reason that you make up) that is totally unfluffy.

LOL. I'm not even going with the idea anymore. If you perhaps read what i said in that im creating my own legion dedicated to Nurgle AND rolling with my Night Lords.

Hi all. I'm just about to start my Night Lords army with the intent of being as fluffy as can be. Saying this, i would really like to use some Plague Marines

, there would be nothing more scary than a unit of Plague Marines hurtling toward you.

Ah yes, the "anything that is scarry is fluffy for NL's and everything in the csm dex is scarry, therefore everything in the chaos dex is fluffy for NL's rationalization. What could be scarrier then PM's ? What could be scarrier then blood crazed brzrkrs ? What could be scarrier then robotic T'sons walking relentlessly toward you as your bullets passed through them with no affect ? And my favorite, "my slanny lash DP counts as a NL's DP that is so terrifying that he scares enemies into going where he wants them to go".

I still have yet to fall asleep from returning to nightshift, but I would like to say I'm working on a NL Nurgle company. I havn't worked the kinks but this was decided on when I realized I don't have the time or money to put into 40k like I want, being I have College to start and 2 other hobbies and projects to get moving along.

As for the fluffy part, apparently no one can agree what is fluff anymore, except refuse or nihm.

Also may i add, that is your opinion. The fluff is there to be dissected and used at the users want. If he/she feels that a Nurgle terror wave is in-fitting for an NL army then sobeit. Honestly, i think out of all cult units, the mindless soldiers of Nurgle fit the NL but that is my opinion. I will also give them corsucated armour in places and might even give them NL converted transport.

And your the only one talking about T'sons and your favourite Lash DP's which wasn't even mentioned before you provide your "input".

So thanks, but i'll gladly ignore your "input" and listen to the views from people who have actually had positive input and constructive criticisms.

Also may i add, that is your opinion. The fluff is there to be dissected and used at the users want. If he/she feels that a Nurgle terror wave is in-fitting for an NL army then sobeit. Honestly, i think out of all cult units, the mindless soldiers of Nurgle fit the NL but that is my opinion. I will also give them corsucated armour in places and might even give them NL converted transport.

And your the only one talking about T'sons and your favourite Lash DP's which wasn't even mentioned before you provide your "input".

So thanks, but i'll gladly ignore your "input" and listen to the views from people who have actually had positive input and constructive criticisms.

Don't mind chillen, he's just extremely pissed off people will try to justify to the older players to call themselves an Established Legion but take a bunch of Cult Princes and units that usually violate old fluff, against the non existent Fluff.

It's not about the fear of the Plague Marines, it's the fear of being over come by death, disease, famine of people when they fight Plague Marines as they spread Nurgle's Beautious rot around. (yes I listen to Gwar). Nurgle's power grows as people fear death and they are overcome with disease.

The only reason I'm sticking to the Idea is because I'm budgeting an army and I have a Nightlord Hero with a bunch of Plague Marines, and a Nightlord's theme sounds much better than a renegade army theme that was mangled up on 4chan from a discussion with 10 different Chaos players.

Okay, so why did you make this thread if youre going to ignore anyone who tells you otherwise?

Your army is not Night Lords for the exact reason chillin stated. You can call them Night Lords, you can paint them like Night Lords, but theyre just not Night Lords. I was being nice before, but the plain fact is, youre breaking fluff as an excuse to throw in plague marines.

I dont care about your "opinion". My opinion can be the sky is green, and everyone can pretend its green, but does that make it green? You made a topic specifically asking what people thought of this, and then you fall back to "fluff" completely made up by yourself, and then ignore people who say otherwise. So again, what was the point of this topic?

Okay, so why did you make this thread if youre going to ignore anyone who tells you otherwise?

Your army is not Night Lords for the exact reason chillin stated. You can call them Night Lords, you can paint them like Night Lords, but theyre just not Night Lords. I was being nice before, but the plain fact is, youre breaking fluff as an excuse to throw in plague marines.

I dont care about your "opinion". My opinion can be the sky is green, and everyone can pretend its green, but does that make it green? You made a topic specifically asking what people thought of this, and then you fall back to "fluff" completely made up by yourself, and then ignore people who say otherwise. So again, what was the point of this topic?

Obviously to collect data and input on using a Nightlords variant theme

kay, so why did you make this thread if youre going to ignore anyone who tells you otherwise?

im going to ignore "advice" from people who can't offer helpful advice.

If you had completely read the thread before trying to apply reason, you would of realised that i was asking if it was at all possible to have Plague Marines (and if anyone had any success in doing so) in a Night Lords army and it somehow be justified within the fluff. Since then though, i have said i was going to do a Nurgle Warband SEPERATE to my Night Lords. So again, read the topic before flaming!

Archived