Build a better Mephiston

jah-joshua

hey B&C...

i've been hired to take the old metal Mephiston mini, and give him a makeover for the new millenium...

the task is to get rid of the old "Joe Dirt" mullethead look he's got, and give him a badass vampire look...

to bring some action and motion to such a static mini, i will base the build around one of the Dark Angel plastic bodies...

this is the stockpile of parts, and the original mini:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/Mephparts.jpg

the metal Meph mini will be used to provide parts such as the sword and high collar...

the rest of the details will be copied with a greenstuff pressmould, and scratch sculptin'...

before i could start to cut any parts off the metal Meph mini, i needed to mould the details...

makin' a few pressmoulds of the shoulder pad details, and the chest will save me a lot of sculptin' time, and let me get to the paintjob quicker...

i make a mould of the syringes as well, and one for the blood drops...

here's the moulds:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/BAmoulds.jpg

this is the result after the first bit of trimmin' and clean-up:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/BAmoulds1.jpg

a little more prep to go on the casts, and i'll be ready to glue them to the body and the shoulder pads...

then i'll use some more green stuff to blend them into the plastic parts, and we will have the base to start buildin' Mephiston's signature look...

i hope this project will make some BA players very happy...

it's been a long time since the characters for this army have been givin' an update...

the action-packed poses of the new Space Hulk Termies are definitely an inspiration...

thanks for lookin'...

cheers

jah

I like where this is going.

That is also a shockingly simple way of doing a mould. Question: After the initial gs mould has dried how do you prevent the gs you place into the mould from sticking to the mould?

Haha Joe Dirt! I hadn't even thought of that one. Do you suppose he likes Van Halen or Van Haggar? Now on to the modelling, awesome. He needs an update and this looks promising. Will keep an eye on this. Of course once you've sorted Mephi out you'll have to sort out Lemartes.

i'm glad this has got people's interest...

this will be a fun little project for me, as i have always found the Meph mini to be a great sculpt, with a horrid pose...

Tycho's static pose works, and Dante is awesome, Corbulo is OK, but Meph just never did it for me...

i have to finish a couple pieces for Dragonblood Miniatures tonight (unfortunately, fantasy minis don't wear power armour)...

then i can get a bit of work done on this guy while i prep some more studio minis...

it will be a couple weeks of slow sculptin' before i get to paint, as there are 4 more studio pieces to finish before this guy...

since everyone asked, the best thing for greenstuff work is vaseline, but i didn't have any on hand last weekend...

i just used water to keep stuff from stickin'...

not as dependable as lube (i said lube :confused:) , but it worked a treat...

luckily it's been humid (or should i say moist...hahahaha)...

one thing i have to experiment with, is the ratio of blue to yellow in mixin' the greenstuff...

as it is, the mix cures a little too rubbery when you use the mix as it comes in the strip...

i think i need a little less yellow, and a bit more blue, in the mix...

should have some new pics this weekend...

thanks for all the interest...

cheers

jah

Great idea with the greenstuff moulds, I've used it for shoulderpads but wouldn't have thought of using it for things like the torso, will have to look at using it for some techmarine details for my Iron Hands. This was the first special charactor model I painted so I look forward to seeing a more dynamic version :rolleyes:.

one thing i have to experiment with, is the ratio of blue to yellow in mixin' the greenstuff...

I like to use a litle more yellow when making the mould and then a little more blue when making the cast. And i too vouch for the vaseline method. I bought a pocket sized tin of the stuff as it lasts ages used in small amounts.

I'm joining the line of people anticipating further work on this model, it should turn out great. A question though: if you want a less static pose, why are you using the DA legs? Those ones are rather static in themself and the running ones are a bit too active for Mephiston IMO. Would a scratch sculpt be out of the question?

Al

hey B&C...

my first WIP update ever!!!

got some work done last night...

first up is the chest plate on the D.A. body...

this is the more dynamic of the two leg-sets that resemble the Meph sculpt...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/Mephbody.jpg

the flow of the body and the robes will be enhanced by the outstretched plasma pistol in his left hand...

the sword will be switched over to the right hand, held at the ready...

the right arm plasma pistol has been snipped off, and a hole drilled for the sword...

the sword was clipped off of the left hand, and a pin put in for the switch...

a new handle and pommel will be sculpted on...

i've also carved the wrist away on the arms, so i can sculpt some armoured gauntlets...

Meph has gloves, which just don't work for me on marines...

armoured gauntlets all the way:cool:...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/Mepharms.jpg

lastly, i got the icons glued to the shoulder pads...

they need some clean-up, and some GS blending to smooth everything out...

for the skull, i took the rim off the shoulder pad to match the original sculpt, MK6 stylee...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/Mephpads.jpg

we'll see what else i can get done this weekend, and get some more shots on monday...

thanks for lookin'...

cheers

jah

it really is a said day, when a regular marine is less static and has an over all better model than a special character.

Welcome to the land of Blood Angel Miniatures :D

i second that, i am really interested in the moulding technique

Archived