Build a better Mephiston

jah-joshua

yes this is a fantastic model, i too like to vision the blood angels with crazy eyes and sharp teeth. i imagine as space wolves are ferociuos and savage, but blood angels are just completley gone in the head.

your representing, keep up the good work :)

hey B&C...

almost done with this build...

i'm really itchin' to paint this guy...

the arms are on, and the last of the cables are sculpted...

he just needs a few blood vials sculpted on, and maybe another strand of hair or two on the right side (your left), where i feel that it's out of balance with the side that is all bunched up by his collar...

the skull shoulder pad needs a vial hanging down, and i will place a few vials in place of where the syringes hang on the original mini...

i think the syringes look silly, and in the latest novel a flick of a switch turns the vial into an Exsanguinator (which is what i believe the syringes represent)...

enjoy:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/newmeph1.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/NewMeph2.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/NewMeph3.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/NewMeph4.jpg

thanks for lookin'...

cheers

jah

I think you've done a good job with the GS, but I think the overall model suffers a bit from being... stumpy. I think extending the legs a bit and going for like a half truescale stature would go a looooooooooooong way to making it look boss. It needs a bit of length to give the impression of grace.

Also, if you want to make a better Mephiston, I would have liked to see the design modified a bit. Right now, you have basically put exactly all the original elements on a plastic marine. Why not take the oppurtunity to change a few things? like the collar for example, has always seemed goofy as hell imo lol.

Please don't take my words too hard, you've done a great job of reproducing mephiston onto a more modern mold. I just find you obviously have the talent to get all these details onto the mini, it would have been more interesting to see a something newer and a bit of your own design in there.

@sisko11: i hear ya, bro...

i've never tried to sculpt anything before, just used putty to fill gaps...

for my first project i felt i could handle a reproduction of an existing mini...

i don't know why he turned out so chunky...

the waist has been stretched a few mm's, and the chest was carved down a lot...

we'll see what i can do when i find the time to try a true-scale marine...

@lunchbizzle: as long as the customer gets what he wants, that's all that counts at the end of the day...

i feel your pain, though...

i still haven't seen another head that lends a savage "on the attack" look...

@drudge dread: i'm startin' to realy like the look, now that he has hair, too...

cheers

jah

I did a little test, definetly the legs that are off... i did a quick clip and stretch, and it's pretty clear that the legs were indeed the culprit... if you stretch them out, it looks pretty awesome no?

gallery_2745_4566_168309.jpg

I am currently engaged in my first scratchbuilding as well, not gs but with plasticard tubes and rods, will finally be finishing the sigma legion marine I started in like 2004 lol, so I can appreciate the stress of first attempts. That being said, I never would have guessed! You did an awesome job, the only thing wrong with the model is the only original piece you didnt modify lol!

If this is your first try, I can't wait to see what you come up with next, I hope to jeebus mine would look a quarter as good as that!

Last thing I swear! lol

It just hit me that if you were to gs those skulls on the hood and collar to be more realistic and detailed, that would seriously work well with the fury facial expression! The old 2nd edition skulls are really cartoony and detract from the deadliness of everything else if you know what I'm getting at. Again, ironically the only things to criticize are the things you didnt do!

IMO that head was awful when GW sculpted it, what 10 years ago? As for an on the attack head maybe 1 of the new space wolf heads but then again you have already done so much to the model and like you said the customer likes it and that's what's important.

i don't know why he turned out so chunky...

the waist has been stretched a few mm's, and the chest was carved down a lot...

we'll see what i can do when i find the time to try a true-scale marine...

I think it's those legs, all models that have them seem too squat.

Basically they were sculpted too "short" by GW IMO, and once you add any thickness to the waist area it just enhances the squat effect, so really you were unavoidable onto a losing battle with those legs from the start. :(

Other than that it looks really good though. ;)

Archived