Lords of the Flies

Brevik

I attended my first ever Games Day this year, and submitted my first ever Golden Demon entries. I'm not sure how, but these boys made it through to the final round of the WH40K squad category. They did look a little sheepish surrounded by the awesomeness all around them in the finalists cabinet and I was absolutely stunned... <_<

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/brevikesq/Golden%20Demon/NurgleGD2009Finalist.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/brevikesq/Golden%20Demon/NurgleGD2009FinalistRear.jpg

This loser ( :P ) failed me, and didn't make it, but then I wasn't really expecting him to, to be honest, I just chucked him in the bag at the last minute...

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/brevikesq/Golden%20Demon/NurgleSorcerorGD2009.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/brevikesq/Golden%20Demon/NurgleSorcerorGD2009Rear.jpg

Let me know what you think, any comments, criticisms, explanations always appreciated.

Regards,

B

I personally think they deserved to be there, entering GD has always been one of those dream things for me...winning...well thats just impossible given it would be me <_<

Anyways, I think they're great and I'm not sure how the "loser" let you down :P though if you're that sure I'll have him ;) jokes of course

I think those are some great models.

I think a few critiques might be, add some stuff to their bases, the GW people love that stuff based on the winners I see on the site. That sorceror needs more bright contrasting colors. Get some bright pink in those Dragon eyes on the backpack, or give that eye on the chest a brighter highlight. A good mix of dark and light colors would really make that model pop. Although it might just be your camera and lighting?

Still way better then I could hope for, just giving you some ideas <_<

Now try again next year and get that Demon! Good Luck!

Thanks guys, much appreciated. :P

Yep, the bases are definitely where I'd like to do more work, although I don't know how much difference that would have made? I think probably a better choice of models for next year would help more.

Regards,

B

I remember seeing these in the case on Sunday, Brevik.

:) At least someone noticed them, they were lurking in the back a bit, and weren't really distinct enough to stand out.

A good solid entry. I think that a scenic base to tie them together would have helped them catch the judges' eyes more, but otherwise, very nicely done

B)

Thanks mate, the plan is to think about a base for next time, as rather foolishly I paid no mind to it this year. On reflection, "solid but unspectacular", would be a fair assessment of my entry.

Congratulations on your Bronze too, your guys really did stand out.

In other news, although my miniatures didn't make it on the GW website, a miniature image of me managed it...

Top left picture, middle of the "observation tower"

That's me in the red shirt with black and grey rucksack strap - my comrades and I had popped up there to "look down on the commoners", and managed to get snapped looking important(ish) :P

They look good.

There is good advice out there on doing well at a GD, several great painters on this board have shared a lot.

If you want to win a little deamon dude, some times it pays to chose a less popular category, LoTR or Bloodbowl or something. Open of course is perhaps the funnest, and sometimes a cool idea can trump technique so just giver if you have one.

They like pretty clean paint jobs, they like the smooth blends, the proper shadowing whehter from a light source or just up. If you can learn the light source technique do so. NMM was a fad, but they never really went for it whole hog in the White Dwarf and in 'Eavy Metal so you can totally win a deamon without it. Some people have told me who have beaten me in painting contests, that brighter models do better especially on armies...

I was just at a painting contest today and the lead judge, the sculpter for Ultraforge Miniatures said initial impact. After that is stressed learning wet blending, basically abandoning dry brushing as basically it won't win painting contests. Even more than wet blending you need the free hand now a days. Practice that crap, do skulls, or fire, they are actually pretty easy, easier than naked chicks painted on the side of tanks which won Astronomi-con Vancouver this year.

Conversions are almost a must, you can use resin bases, but you're better off scratch building your own large base. The display base for squads is pretty much a must. I've lost painting contests because I didn't make a display base and that was worth up to two points. I actually tied dispite not having the base then lost on some sort of tie breaker...

Green stuff is becoming almost a necessary at the top comps, some models especially in Europe are almost original sculpts, the whole team effort technique. I don't know if you need to go that far, but some extra easy green stuff won't hurt your chances. Lastly and this always hurts me, GW is trying to sell more figs, so it will help to paint their latest greatest stuff, so next year Space Wolves and Tyranids. Me I'll stick to my OOP Chaos Renegades. ;-)

Remember it is totally subjective so try to have fun.

I am awed. The blending and colors are incredible. And I love how you didn't go over the top and made them look sickly badass while still relatively human. I hope you get something with these.

You probably should take better photos of the sorcerer though, the lighting seems to have made it look worse than it is.

EDIT: Oh, and about why the sorceror probably didn't make it.. It's the robe. Your squad has beautiful contrasts all over, the neutral green with its bright highlights and the NMM trims, these contrasts really make the blending and beautiful green shine. On the sorcerer, the earth colored robe drowns it. Had you gone for a lighter colored robe, maybe bonish colored, it would probably have made it to the finals as well.

Thanks for the comments guys (evening Freddie!).

Tahrikmili, thanks for the comments on the sorceror, I'll have a look at redoing the robe, just so it fits in better with the squad.

I'm not a fan of the crazy pustules, oozing armour, etc - I wanted these guys to look like they'd "just turned" - hence some of the loyalist bits used on the marines.

The wife and I are looking at how to go about getting better pictures of my miniatures now, so hopefully I should get something better sorted out soon.

I have another CSM squad and a bike squad that completes a 500 point force (not quite painted to the same standard though) - of course I'm not sure if I actually want to use these guys in games now. I'll post some pictures up when I get around to it.

Archived