So I'm considering a new army...

Hail, Brothers

Playing my Loyalist Imperial Fists has kinda got me into a playstyle rut. I use alot of armor and tactical troops to slowly move up and eventually crush any opposition, regardless of my number of casualties (thank you Lysander and his stubborn ways). I'm typically 50-50 on the win loss chart with them, and I'm ok with that. My problem, is that the bright yellow boys and I are growing apart. I want a fast, in your face power armored army. I think that the Chaos Space Marine Codex is the way to get there and be alot of fun in the process.

I like the idea of an all Khorne army on bikes with Berserkers running right behind. But, I don't want them to be World Eaters. Its been done to death. But in order to be alittle more flexible, I think I'm going to need some generic Chaos Marines. I also like the fluff behind the Soul Drinkers. I liked the books and thier desperate battle against everyone who hates them. But I don't think they will have the same flavor as a mostly Khorne army. So, after looking through the codex I think I might be able to go a couple of different ways.

The Rag-Tag Renegade Army

HQ Chaos Lord on Bike with MoK, Bloodfeeder (probably with markings from same chapter as the Bikers)

Troops 2x 10 man CSM squads on foot, Plasma gun, Lascannon, Champs with Plasma Pistol, PF (as many different chapters as I can think of for markings, probably used as a fire base)

Troops 2x 10 man Berserker Squads on foot (using assault marines and khorne boxes for bits as a starting place, three or four different chapter markings)

Fast Attack 2x 10 man Biker Squads, Icon of Khorne, 2x meltaguns, Champs with PF and meltabombs

Heavy Support 5 man Havoc Squad with 4 heavy bolters or autocannons. (probably using several different chapter markings)

The Soul Drinker Recruiting Force

all units would be built using loyalist marines as a base, only using the Berserker box for bits, all units marked in Soul Drinker scheme

HQ Chaos Sorcerer on Disk of Tzeentch (using spider legs as the disk), MoT, Familiar, Bolt of Change, Warptime, Gift of Chaos

Troops [same as above]

Fast Attack 2x 10 man Raptor Squads, Icon of Khorne, 2x meltaguns, champs with PF and meltabombs

Heavy Support [same as above]

What do you think? So far I'm only using this as a sounding board to see what direction I might be going. Thanks in advance for all your insight and comments.

Why is that?

Things that are similar: They both get +1 toughness, they both get turbo-boosters, they both can take 2 special weapons

Things that are not: Loyalists get a heavy weapon on the attack bike, loyalists don't have a close combat weapon, chaos doesn't have a special character that will allow bikes to outflank and be troops.

The attack breakdown:

Icon of Khorne will give the bikers +1 attack (1 reg, 1 for bp and ccw, 1 for IoK, 1 for charging, bringing you to 4 for a regular biker and 4 for a PF wielding champ) That's 40 dice on the charge, with 4 of them going at Init 1 and Str 8.

A Loyalist SM biker squad with 10 bodies (1 reg, 1 for charging, bringing you to 2 for a regular biker and 3 for a sgt with PF) gives you 21 dice on the charge with 3 of them going at Init 1 and Str 8.

Explain to me why the Khornate Biker is worse than the Loyalist Biker.

Wasn't trying to imply they are worse. Just saying, you're better off using a Ravenwing Biker Army counts as then using Chaos with biker lord, biker units, and untransported footsloggers.

Give everyone on foot in a Rhino. They'll get shredded, if you can spare a Land Raider in, use it to decoy/shield the Bikers, or use the Rhinos. Bikes get killed very fast.

Might i suggest one of the minor Warbands from the codex? Like the Dragon Warriors? An army with a lot of Flamers/Meltas will be quite 'up close and personal'.

Some other canons could suit your assault orientated flavor too.

A heavily biker orientated Chos Force won't work well unless you use another codex.

I played with Loyalist Bikers for about a year and I know how to use them to full effect.

I started playing CHaos and stull use a unit of Bikers and since I know how to use them they still do the job for me.

And I have to say the shooting is the same and when you charge you will take out tje enemy a lot faster since you get more attacks then Loyalist Bikers, the only downfal is that they aint scoring.

Well maybe with some hope we get a new Codex were your Lord on a Bike will make your Bikers scoring :devil:

I also love Bikes cause I ride one myslef so I always include a unit of Bikers in my armies :yes:

Brothers,

Ok, so I guess Chaos Bikers aren't as popular as thier Loyalist counterparts. I get that. So, the next question is "What about the Jump Infantry Raptor force of the Soul Drinkers?".

Let me point out that if I went with the Soul Drinkers, that I would use very little in the way of vehicles/armor, as it won't fit the fluff. Perhaps one or two rhinos but definatly no heavy armor like the land raider. I would rather try to fit the fluff than try to win every game. The game for me is more than just winning. I like modeling and converting and playing with a good background.

Can a Tzeentch sorcerer make a good commander in a close combat oriented infantry force? Can Khorne Berserkers work well with Raptors? I imagine that I'd probably need rhinos to help get my boys into the fray without getting cut down too bad first. I'd rather have drop pods for them, but then, I'm using the wrong codex for that. :) Thanks for the input and your suggestions.

I used to use a Raptor unit almost exactly like the ones you have listed in your Soul Drinker force and i find that they can definately do some damage. I did end up removing them from my army after a while because you can do more with the points and they stopped counting as a scoring unit but if i had to choose what to include in my chaos list between bikers and raptors then raptors would be my choice all the way.

Archived