Wound Allocation in Multiple Combats

thade

Here's the scenario:

My vanguard and my assault squad charge a unit of Plague Marines. This is how I presume it should go (and how I have been playing it):

INIT 4:

- Vanguard rolls to hit, rolls to wound, does N wounds; defending player allocates them and makes saves, takes casualties if necessary.

- Assault squad rolls to hit, rolls to wound, does M wounds; defending player allocates them, makes saves, takes casualties if necessary.

INIT 3: Plague Marines attack back.

INIT 1: My power fists attack.

It occurred to me later that what I did is not as powerful as this:

INIT 4:

- Vanguard rolls to hit, rolls to wound, does N wounds.

- Assault squad rolls to hit, rolls to wound, does M wounds.

- Defending player allocates M + N wounds, makes saves, takes casualties if necessary.

INIT 3 and INIT 1 take place as before.

My presumption is that the first case is proper...a unit does its attacks, defender allocates and saves against them, then the next unit does it's attacks. However, as my marines all go at Init 4 (save the PFs), I wonder if they all should have gone and all wounds should have been resolved that way? So what rules the day? Units or Initiative?

I'm stumped, and my search fu has failed me in the rulebook.

Thanks for your time.

nothing in the Multiple Combat rules (including the Errata) change what is written on BRB P.39, Allocating wounds: "After determining the number of wounds inflicted... at a particular initiative value... Just like in the Shooting Phase... wounds are allocated... by the controlling player, exactly like the fire of a single enemy unit..."

The wounds are not distributed twice if two units on the same side of a multiple combat cause wound sin the same initiative step, they are combined. So the Init 4 models would inflict M+N wounds, which would be allocated/saved as usual as though they were from a single enemy unit, and the next initiative value would then go. basically, thade's second scenario (the more powerful one).

nothing in the Multiple Combat rules (including the Errata) change what is written on BRB P.39, Allocating wounds: "After determining the number of wounds inflicted... at a particular initiative value... Just like in the Shooting Phase... wounds are allocated... by the controlling player, exactly like the fire of a single enemy unit..."

The wounds are not distributed twice if two units on the same side of a multiple combat cause wound sin the same initiative step, they are combined. So the Init 4 models would inflict M+N wounds, which would be allocated/saved as usual as though they were from a single enemy unit, and the next initiative value would then go. basically, thade's second scenario (the more powerful one).

You are both in disagreement, but it seems Nighthawks is correct; now that I read the passage at the top left of p39, it's clear that Case 2 from my OP is the way it should go.

Thanks, guys.

aye, it goes by the second example, which is actually weaker, for you, as it would let your opponant pile on power weapon wounds onto 1 model. When watching a game in my local GW store i do notice that alot of people do not do proper wound allocation for shooting or combat, instead reverting back to how it used to be...

Archived