Determining AV Facings

Gornall

I'm having an issue with determing what exactly counts as a side armor shot against vehicles. I had been drawing an imaginary line from opposite corners to split the tank into appropriate facings. However, someone at another store I play at sometimes told me and my regular opponent that the front AV is a 90 degree cone from the center of the tank (basically assuming that it's a perfect square tank). I'm wondering if he had that confused with hull mounted weapon rules or something, as that seems to allow a lot of shots that are seeing mostly side armor to go against front armor. It was definately an issue in our last game as my opponent wanted to use the guy's method. What is the correct way to do it?

Sidenote: How do you measure irregular vehicles like Eldar and Tau?

EDIT: Changed 45 degrees to 90.

page 60 shows what is front armor and what is side armor.

It apears you shoot at what side you are facing, which is not always the correct side of the tank.

also on page 62 it covers if you cannot see the facing you are in, but can see the side, for example, if the front of the tank is behind a building but you can just see the side armor, then you would shoot at the side armor but they would get a 3+save.

If you look at the example on Pg. 60 it is clear that it is not 90 degrees.

Nothing in the rules mention the 90 degree method. You draw lines corner to corner, with Eldar vehicles that can be a little tough.

My gaming group images the smallest box possible around a vehicle and then corner to corner.

Archived