Disembarking

harrybo

Hiya all, this came up in a game the other day. Land Raider races forward 12", deploys Terminators and Cassius. He roast some stealthsuits behind some cover, then attempt to assualt said unit. The problems arose when my opponent measured the distance between the access of the LR and the stealthsuits, and declared that they would not be able to assualt because there was a distance of 9", and that my guys could only disembark up to 2". I brought to his attention page 67 of BRB which shows a diagram of 5 marines disembarking from a Rhino within 2" but the guy with the ML's base is on the edge of the 2" zone. He stated that a unit must disembark within 2", but I said that according to that diagram any part of the base could be within 2". Does this means units with huge 40mm bases can disembark a massive 3.5" approx. from an access point? If it does then how good is that?! Crusader moves 12", unit disembarks up to 3.5" from access points, then assualts 6", giving me a range of 21.5" for assualt. Needless to say he wasn't too chuffed that they could reach his unit. So who's right?

The book is pretty clear on the subject. Only part of the base has to be within 2" of the exit point when disembarking. So yes, this does give an additional advantage to units on larger bases when jumping out of a vehicle. On the other hand, if the whole base had to be within 2" multiple armies would have issues with being able to actually disembark, especially from transports with a single exit point.

Here's how it works:

If the LR moves before your troops disembark, your troops can only disembark...they cannot also move. So, they can get out of the raider at up to 2" away (and bear this in mind, you measure that 2" from the BACK edge of their base, not the front edge!), but they can't move during the move phase. They can still assault, which is 6" more...so measuring the assault from the nose of the LR, you have an 8" assault. Measuring it from the front edge of the guy that's leading the charge, you actually have roughly a half inch more.

If the LR does NOT move before the troops disembark, your troops can disembark (as before), can move 6", then assault at 6" more. So that's 14" from a stationary assault vehicle...or a Rhino even, as if the Rhino does not move, you can disembark, move, and assault that turn as well.

Its the same thing as "aura" style effects- Units within 12" of Pedro Kantor get an extra attack- the whole unit doesnt have to be inside the radius, just one model. Same thing with Kustom Force Fieldz, sadly ;).

Its the same thing as "aura" style effects- Units within 12" of Pedro Kantor get an extra attack- the whole unit doesnt have to be inside the radius, just one model. Same thing with Kustom Force Fieldz, sadly B).

I might be misinterpreting you here, GM...but if you mean that only one model from the unit has to be within 2" for a legal disembark, I'm afraid you're mistaken. The BRB states that "each model" has to be within 2".

And igotsmeakabob...thanks. =) I don't field Terminators very often, so I'd forgotten that their larger bases can be a boon here.

Its the same thing as "aura" style effects- Units within 12" of Pedro Kantor get an extra attack- the whole unit doesnt have to be inside the radius, just one model. Same thing with Kustom Force Fieldz, sadly B).

It's better to say that measurements are always taken to the edge of a model's base: "within 2 inches of the exit point" means the base edge must be at most 2 inches away after disembarking. Technically, I suppose it would need to be just inside those 2 inches, so if your models on 25-mm bases deploy from a door whose nearest side is 9 inches away from your prospective target, you could not assault because you'd end up short by a hair's breadth. However, you can't really measure that precisely in practice.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's how it works:

If the LR moves before your troops disembark, your troops can only disembark...they cannot also move. So, they can get out of the raider at up to 2" away (and bear this in mind, you measure that 2" from the BACK edge of their base, not the front edge!), but they can't move during the move phase. They can still assault, which is 6" more...so measuring the assault from the nose of the LR, you have an 8" assault. Measuring it from the front edge of the guy that's leading the charge, you actually have roughly a half inch more.

If the LR does NOT move before the troops disembark, your troops can disembark (as before), can move 6", then assault at 6" more. So that's 14" from a stationary assault vehicle...or a Rhino even, as if the Rhino does not move, you can disembark, move, and assault that turn as well.

If you disembark in the movement phase after the raider has moved, can you still run from the landraider in the shooting phase? as it is an assault vehicle you can assault the turn you disembark?

If you disembark in the movement phase after the raider has moved, can you still run from the landraider in the shooting phase? as it is an assault vehicle you can assault the turn you disembark?

Can only assault after running if you have fleet.

Its the same thing as "aura" style effects- Units within 12" of Pedro Kantor get an extra attack- the whole unit doesnt have to be inside the radius, just one model. Same thing with Kustom Force Fieldz, sadly :lol:.

I might be misinterpreting you here, GM...but if you mean that only one model from the unit has to be within 2" for a legal disembark, I'm afraid you're mistaken. The BRB states that "each model" has to be within 2".

And igotsmeakabob...thanks. =) I don't field Terminators very often, so I'd forgotten that their larger bases can be a boon here.

Sorry, I can see how that may have been to vague- If any part of the models base is in, its all in much like how if any model in the unit is in, its all in.

Archived