WiP Chaos Lord Azephor

Julgolax

I came up with this blurb of fluff, and with some imagination, I wanted to present a small backround on my chaos lord.

Chaos Lord Azephor

a.k.a. The Marked One

a.k.a. The Black Harbinger

During the year-long campaign against a Necron tomb-ship haunting the Ulforian sub-sector, 1st captain Azephor of the Imperial Harbingers, had loyally followed his chapter master into battle against the legions of Necron warriors, losing warriors by the dozen. The attack was planned around destroying the hundreds of power cores within the ship to crack the pyramid ship open and allow the battle barges to annihilate the ship from within. As the months of systematic procuring and holding space within the ship stretched on, the chapter lost nearly half of its warriors by the 8th month of the attack. The chapter master was beginning to become weary with the never ending tide of skeletal monstrosities and their violently destructive weaponry. On the outside of the ship it seemed that every defense cannon the chapter fleet destroyed was rebuilt in a day and continued to wound the fleet's barges and strike cruisers. The chapter was beginning to realise it could not win this battle and by the end of the 11th month, the chapter was falling back into the overwhelmed defenses of the point of entry. The thunderhawks perched within the vaulting blast points awaited the few remaining Imperial Harbingers. The Chapter Master led his 3 remaining companies to the thunderhawks but seemingly out of no where, an enormous golden figure appeared before the chapter master, the surrounding necrons fell silent and dark. The being called itself the emperor, though its words fell on shocked and sceptical ears. The being wanted Azephor to kill his master, he wanted to kill him for allowing his brothers to be so poorly led against the legions of necrons. Darkness surrounded the battle brothers but even in the the darkness they could see the truth behind this mysterious figure's words. In the chapter's first and greatest act of heresy, Azephor, the 1st captain took up his sword and charged his master. After a titanic duel, and the haunting cackling of the being reached its pinnacle, Azephor rent the head from the master's body, killing him instantly and sealing his fate. Azephor alone was lead by the floating being to a chamber deep within the necron fortress, to a chamber locked within a strange pulsing obsidian container. The traitor captain walked heavily into the chamber, baffled at the sight of the object before him. What this object was, not even Azephor will say but since the time he left that chamber, the glimmering being gone, Azephor appeared before his men and announced that they belong to the Imperium no more and with hesitant enthusiasm, his brothers followed him to the thunderhawks. They were returning to the fleet, never to return this tomb ship again.

When Azephor arrived in the battle barge, The Sign, he immediately took command of the fleet, declairing that they were no longer part of the Imperium, that they have new masters and to oppose him was to invite death. The chapter's remaining librarians, retreated to the Librarium and the chaplains in fury, demanded an explaination from their captain. The captain ordered an immediate counsil with the entire body of the remaining chapter and as they left orbit of the necron tomb ship, the captain told his story. In the great hall of the battle barge, there was roaring upheaval and disgust alike. The captains terminators formed a bodyguard around him as he spoke with fervent words and great promises. The chaplains eventually would not have it and in their final act of defiance charged the captain in defiance of his usurpation. The captain ordered the chaplains to be executed and the terminators unloaded their storm bolters and assault weapons on the loyalist chaplains. Not even one chaplain could see the truth but it did not matter, to "Lord" Azephor, there would be no defiance of him or chaos, and those who would not stand beside him to claim the power of the gods, shall burn beneath his boots.

In the months that followed, the chapter fleet sporadically warred amongst itself as loyalist usurpers and defiants gave their lives for the Emperor, blind to the truth that Lord Azephor preached. The fleet eventually silenced and among the 12 ships that made up the fleet only 7 remained and the armory was reduced in strength. The fleet made it's way to the Eye of Terror, blasting apart baffled fleets of Imperial Guard border defenses and made its escape into the northwestern quadrant of the Eye. Where the renegade fleet was unknown by the Imperium but Lord Azephor continued to bide his time, gaining followers and in a dangerous mission, his fleet travaled about the rim of the Eye to the location of the Planetkiller. Gleaning clues from captured renegades had revealed to Azephor the whereabouts of the lord of chaos. Whether through pure daring, will, or newfound devotion, the fleet made its way towards Abaddon the Despoiler with all haste, like a squire thirsting for the favor of the knight. Lord Azephor's plan was to appease the Despoiler with a rare prize in turn for his favor as a Lord-Lieutenant in the Black Legion. The journey was not so simple though. Lord Azephor was new to the ways of chaos, new to the twisted beasts that stalked and murdered in the halls of his fleets. The chapter's remaining sorcerer-librarians were plagued, mind and body, by daemons and beasts of the warp, 3 of which succombing to these denizens of chaos while 4 remaining codicier and epostilary level librarians were able to adapt and speak to the warp, making pacts with the daemon voices allowing safer passage to the Planetkiller. After months of searching and exausting resources, the warriors of the renegade force were beginning to break but Lord Azephor had a nack for banding warriors loyal to him together, through hate or promise of reward. The warriors endured, and their endurance was to be rewarded, for the Planetkiller revealed itself, hailing the the fleet through the sacrifice of psyker slaves. Abaddon himself spoke over the com-link. A deal was struck, the warband bowed, and Abaddon cackled. Lord Azephor delivered his gift. What it was, only he and abaddon would know for it was a prize of the rarest kind. Abaddon gifted Azephor with a daemon forged chaos star, the right to bear the colors of his legion, and a title befitting a lieutenant of the Black Legion... The Black Harbinger...

Since that dark time when the chapter declaired heresy, pledged themselves to the arch-enemy, and set out to pillage and burn the galaxy for the Black Legion, Lord-Lieutenant Azephor, the Black Harbinger, The Marked One has set his sites on the Star Dragons chapter. He was in need of new followers, he needed to prove himself, and most of all, he needed some damned geneseed...

All across the fleet, catechisms of hatred were sung no longer against the enemies of the Imperium, but against the Imperium and the Emperor himself... and the infamous cry that heralds the coming of the Black Legion rung in the halls of The Sign,

DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!!!

So, tell me the flaws in my scheme.

I stopped caring about people's written flaws when BL is continually allowed to make the same mistakes over and over and then ruin written material.

Constructive comment. <_<

Anyway your fluff is quite nice so far. You should finetune the wordings etc but overall it's mightily nice. :jaw:

I presume it was the Deceiver who played mindtricks on your villain?

Though weren't they a bit fast to embrace Chaos? Not to mention that the Deceiver/C'tan are anything but fans of Chaos.

Overall this fluff has a lot of potential. I like it!

For the Warmaster! We are returned!

I stopped caring about people's written flaws when BL is continually allowed to make the same mistakes over and over and then ruin written material.

Ya, jee whiz man, sorry I made you read it ;)

Anyway your fluff is quite nice so far. You should finetune the wordings etc but overall it's mightily nice. ;)

I presume it was the Deceiver who played mindtricks on your villain?

Though weren't they a bit fast to embrace Chaos? Not to mention that the Deceiver/C'tan are anything but fans of Chaos.

Overall this fluff has a lot of potential. I like it!

For the Warmaster! We are returned!

Thanks. My original idea was the Deceiver (which it was the deceiver) wanted them out of his sanctum and just on a whim, as the C'tan are whimsical beings, decided to play the marines off their chapter master. The reasoning behind their seemingly fast treachery is because these marines are extremely wary from the losses and from their entrapment within this dark tomb-ship. I guess I should reword it and detail that time-line :P

Seems that I should reconsider my choice to side with the BL after that little comment though. ;) I do enjoy a little blood lust of khorne from time to time, and with those ornate fantasy helmets, I can only just imagine what GW can do with the 40K WE codex release. I've always been drawn to the sheer manly WRATH of the blood god, even if they are the second weakest army in the present CSM dex.

Too many choices... :P

Archived