Non wolf, wolf HQs

Locmac

In the Codex it says i can you can take two HQs for every slot but the HQ pages have the little * at the top.....I could i still take a battle leader, rune priest and a Inquisitor? Or no because they aren't all SW ones?

thanks in advance

good question. I would say no to the inquisitor lord as that would consume an HQ slot, not a half slot like a SW HQ choice. better to think of the slots as universally sized, and the things that go in them as having a size of 1, 1/2, or zero (summoned lesser daemons, C:CSM, etc...)

It doesn't say anything about the slot being a 'half slot' that can only be filled by a SW HQ choice, it says 'In a space Wolves army, each HQ 'slot' allows you to take up to two choices.' so although they probably envisaged this to be filled with SW characters, you probably could take an Inq lord.

Having said that, I suspect it might get FAQed...

In the Codex it says i can you can take two HQs for every slot but the HQ pages have the little * at the top.....I could i still take a battle leader, rune priest and a Inquisitor? Or no because they aren't all SW ones?

thanks in advance

That sounds legal. The Battle Leader and Rune Priest take one HQ slot, the Inquistor Lord the other. I don't think you could take Inquisitor Lords as half and HQ slot, but as a full slot if you have at least one Wolf HQ, why not?

yeah - I think I said no before on a quick read, sorry. but the logic stands - 1 slot, 1 HQ unless the dex says otherwise. so 2 SW HQ per slot, but allied HQ still takes one whole slot.

I'm leaning the other way. :wub:

There no restriciton on allies, nor mention that the 'half' slots have to be filled by SW HQs. It only says you can field two HQs for every HQ slot in the FoC.

Taking the one manditory from your own Codex would still leave you able to take a DH IL and a WH IL (allied HQs are still limited to a 0-1 ally choice). But due to the ally limit, you would still need to take one from both the Ordos, and you couldn't get a third from anywhere else.

I'm leaning the other way. ;)

There no restriciton on allies, nor mention that the 'half' slots have to be filled by SW HQs. It only says you can field two HQs for every HQ slot in the FoC.

Taking the one manditory from your own Codex would still leave you able to take a DH IL and a WH IL (allied HQs are still limited to a 0-1 ally choice). But due to the ally limit, you would still need to take one from both the Ordos, and you couldn't get a third from anywhere else.

I dont beleive you can take more than one ally regardless.

I think the " * " in the SW HQ section makes it pretty clear that only THOSE HQ choices are able to double up in the slots. then again, there was likely less than a sum approximating zero time spent worrying about the ramifications of allies in a the list - those rules that do exist currently are pretty old...

Well I didn't think of the RP and Wolf Lord taking one spot and the =][= taking the other so thanks James....though this does seem to be yet another gap in the space wolves dex.....

I dont beleive you can take more than one ally regardless.

From the same Codex, no. HQ's are limited as 0-1 as Allies. But you can take a DH HQ and a WH HQ as allies.

Usually no one would be able to do this, as you'd still need the compulsary 1 HQ from your own 'Dex.

Nighthawks, nice catch about the '*', I remember seeing it, but never attributed to anything. :P

I think the " * " in the SW HQ section makes it pretty clear that only THOSE HQ choices are able to double up in the slots. then again, there was likely less than a sum approximating zero time spent worrying about the ramifications of allies in a the list - those rules that do exist currently are pretty old...

Is there a corresponding asterisk with the 2 HQs per slot rule?

This just sparked a thought for me, of having two Inquisitor lords (one from each dex), as well as two Rune Priests. Then take that anti-psyker assassin twice, one from each dex. IIRC, don't they get buffs based on how many psykers are on the table?

Gimmicky and rules-lawyerly, but might actually make an assassin that earned his way!

Well I didn't think of the RP and Wolf Lord taking one spot and the =][= taking the other so thanks James....though this does seem to be yet another gap in the space wolves dex.....

"Gap"? No. Sometimes I think the Codecies are written in a vacuum. As if the rules inside the book is designed to think of only the units inside the cover and that the idea of "allies" is an after-thought.

I follow JamesI idea of how the SW Codex defines how the * works in relation to anything non-SW.

But keep in mind, that

... packs of Space Wolves work best when led by a single dominant personality, each hero respected for his own abilities.

using this as a guide, then you should not have any problems in any gaming environment. :lol: Otherwise, have fun explaining how the Codex works to those in disbelief.

This just sparked a thought for me, of having two Inquisitor lords (one from each dex), as well as two Rune Priests. Then take that anti-psyker assassin twice, one from each dex. IIRC, don't they get buffs based on how many psykers are on the table?

Gimmicky and rules-lawyerly, but might actually make an assassin that earned his way!

You could only ever have the single assassin(see their little sidebar in the dex).

I myself would agree on the rule only counting for SW HQ's. So stuff like a wolf lord and Canis and an INQ lord would be fine in my eyes.

Having finally got my copy of the SW codex Im going to have to say that its quite clear- all HQ slots in the army count as two slots in actual use.

This has, RAW, the ability to allow you to take an allied HQ as one of those two choices per HQ slot.

Would I be ok with saying than any allied HQ counted as a full one? Most certainly, within my own gaming group. But as the codex states, its quite clear.

Having finally got my copy of the SW codex Im going to have to say that its quite clear- all HQ slots in the army count as two slots in actual use.

This has, RAW, the ability to allow you to take an allied HQ as one of those two choices per HQ slot.

I'd have to disagree.

This is my interpretation: The *Leaders of the Pack" rule makes it quite clear that each HQ slot in a Space Wolves army allows two HQ choices and although there is no worded restriction that these need come only from within the SW Codex – the asterisk is crucial – as only HQ choices from those HQ* marked pages will count for the Leaders of the Pack rule. The asterisk is a cross-referencing system used here to determine the choices that fall under this rule, which is all SW HQs. But any HQ from a page without an asterisk (so any allied HQ) would not qualify and they would occupy one "full" for want of a better word, HQ slot.

Otherwise why bother with the asterisk at all?

So back to the OPs question: Yes. 2 x SW HQs and a max of 1 x Allied HQ is fine

Cheers

I

I'd have to disagree.

This is my interpretation: The *Leaders of the Pack" rule makes it quite clear that each HQ slot in a Space Wolves army allows two HQ choices and although there is no worded restriction that these need come only from within the SW Codex – the asterisk is crucial – as only HQ choices from those HQ* marked pages will count for the Leaders of the Pack rule. The asterisk is a cross-referencing system used here to determine the choices that fall under this rule, which is all SW HQs. But any HQ from a page without an asterisk (so any allied HQ) would not qualify and they would occupy one "full" for want of a better word, HQ slot.

Otherwise why bother with the asterisk at all?

So back to the OPs question: Yes. 2 x SW HQs and a max of 1 x Allied HQ is fine

Cheers

I

My reasoning is thus:

In a Space Wolf army each HQ 'Slot' may be used to take up to two HQ choices.

This is infinitely simple, and in no way is ever modified by the rest of the text, wich goes on to explain that this gives a number 1-4, and then continues to say that you cant copy and paste their wargear, psychic powers, or use multiples of the same saga *save with special characters*.

Note... it never says you can take two space wolf HQs for 1 HQ slot, it simply says an HQ choice, so by default we must assume that any HQ choice that SWs can legally take fits the bill- because we have nothing to state otherwise.

Try as you might, you cant take an allied HQ as anything other than an HQ choice- and in a SW Army that gives you two choices in the area normally taken up by 1.

Thus, an allied HQ takes up no more space than a regular in the book HQ. The asterisk is merely a reminder to those who are silly and dont read sidebars often until something comes out to say otherwise.

I've gone back to my SW 'Dex.

The Asterix for the Leaders of the Pack rule is shown on the FoC and on the HQ title on pages containing HQ units (not the Units themselves).

In my mind, these astrix's are there, in both sections, to remind players that when looking at SW HQ's you can get to for the price of one. Not that they apply only to SW HQ's, as it would make the entry in the FoC box (above the rule) redundant.

Archived