"What you see is what you get" rule

Traitor Aranos

First of all, I acknowledge the lack of knowledge on my part, but after reading the rule book I'm a little confused. If a Space Marine model has a bolter, and another model has a chainsword and pistol, do the two models have different abilties, or is it just assumed that Marines have all three weapons on them. Thanks all. :P

First of all, I acknowledge the lack of knowledge on my part, but after reading the rule book I'm a little confused. If a Space Marine model has a bolter, and another model has a chainsword and pistol, do the two models have different abilties, or is it just assumed that Marines have all three weapons on them. Thanks all. :P

WYSIWYG is primarily for two things:

1. Quickly identifying what the thing is (i.e. a tactical marine, an assault marine, a dreadnought, etc).

2. Being able to identify upgrades.

You don't typically have to model wargear (things like grenades, smoke launchers, etc, if it says you have it, you have it) but you do have to model upgrades (a melta gun or flamer on a tactical marine, for instance, whatever weapon a dreadnought has, etc).

If a Space marine is wielding a boltpistol and a chainsword, he has two CCWs and so he gets a bonus +1 attack in CC; however, most (all?) Codex Space Marines cannot take both a boltgun, bolt pistol, AND a chainsword (typically you get two of them), and so this model cannot rapid fire and has only a range of 12". This is likely an assault marine, though it might be a Veteran (white helmet or some other marking? That's WYSWYG.) and thus get an additional attack.

A Space Marine with a boltgun gets to rapid fire (move and fire two shots at up to 12") or aimed shot (doesn't move, can fire one shot up to 24"). If it's a tactical, it has a bolt pistol too (in wargear, no need to model this) and can also shoot 12" once and assault in the same turn.

So, yes, there are differences. =)

First of all, I acknowledge the lack of knowledge on my part, but after reading the rule book I'm a little confused. If a Space Marine model has a bolter, and another model has a chainsword and pistol, do the two models have different abilties, or is it just assumed that Marines have all three weapons on them. Thanks all. :wub:

It depends. Most squads do not have access to all 3 weapons.

If you have Grey Hunters or Chaos Marines that do have access to all three, it can be difficult to model all 3 on a model, so squads may be mixed but each model has Bolter, Bolt Pistols and chainswords.

Archived