Objective Markers

EPK

26.01 Update ------

This is more or less finished, barring some touch ups and adding the chapter markings I mentioned.

gallery_49213_4130_24154.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_44180.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_268823.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_84906.jpg

7.01 Update ------

Finally got to adding some paint to this, still a WIP. Dark pictures, but I suppose you get the point

gallery_49213_4130_115740.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_68441.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_35111.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_132668.jpg

4.12 Update -------

Equipment bits added. Believe it or not, I have no more bolter ammon cases, only bolt pistol. Guess I can just say those are located on another door that didn't open. My idea was that the whole thing holds supplies via magnetism, hence why the auspex didn't fall. The jarring collision however did happen to knock a few items free.

gallery_49213_4130_35882.jpg

3.12 Updates -----------------

Made some progress with this. It isn't the prettiest, but I hope it does the trick. It's my first time modeling anything like this, so bare with me. Any CC is welcome. Just need to scatter some equipment/weapon bits around next.

gallery_49213_4130_334825.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_311273.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_419814.jpg

Original Thread -----------------

Decided to make some Dark Angel-centric objective markers for myself. I'm working on them in between painting my main army so updates might be slow in coming, but I thought I would just toss them all in one thread with their progress.

Nothing spectacular, just a little kitbashing on this first one. Inspired by Brother dean's model at the top of page, found here. This will probably be the largest one I make, as I obviously don't want to take up too much space with a mere objective marker.

I never actually used green stuff before and don't even have any, so the two major gaps (which you can't see in this photo) were filled with folded paper. Most of the bits are from the tactical squad, the pistol hand is actually from a assault squad sprue and the legs obviously from a biker. The sword is from a out of print assault squad set. Threw in an old barrel and some cut straws for good measure.

gallery_49213_4130_335242.jpg

Now, after I completed the above I said to myself, why would a marine simply sit down on his butt like that? Well, he wouldn't, so I took the knife too him and put some puncture and gash wounds here and there. I assume for him to take this lax position he would have to be severely to mortally wounded. The helmet is also gashed which would explain why he might throw it aside. As I put it together I almost got the feeling he's using the sword just to help keep himself up.

The objective is probably his gene seed more than anything else, though I did think maybe I would add scrolls or something that looked like he carried important information. As far as paint goes, I also thought perhaps make him one of the Fallen, but he looks too much like a basic marine for that in my opinion and I play a lot xenos where a fallen would have no business being.

I'm actually curious what your opinions are on blood. I'll have the photo up when I can, but he now has a large severe-looking puncture in his lower leg (to explain why he probably can't walk, hence the sitting on his butt) along with a couple in his chest. Do you suppose blood would flow from the entry point if it penetrated the armor? We can assume it would be flowing freely from the exit wound, but would the thick armor and gravity cause it to simply well up inside his armor and not flow out or would it at least trickle out a bit? (Of course maybe I'm thinking too much into it, as the blood will help show just how severely wounded he is)

Thanks for taking a look, CC welcome.

Not too bad. It's perfectly acceptable for an objective marker size.

My only criticism would be that he looks a little to healthy. He's sitting up, shouting and really just looks like someone interrupted his nap. Maybe if he were slumped or laying back more, he'd look like he was in dire straits.

He's sitting up, shouting and really just looks like someone interrupted his nap.

I can almost hear him yelling "You kids get off my lawn!" while taking potshots at them.

But to be serious this looks like a good start. I agree with ShinyRhino that the pose needs some work, but were you planning on adding any battle damage to him? Also since he is supposed to be dark angel, maybe add some more of their iconography to his armor. A robe could work well too.

Hah... Yea, that's what I was thinking when I first finished him - why would he just be sitting on his arse like that?. In my rationalization (under the photo) I did decide to that he was definitely too heathy looking. So I went ahead and carved out a large wound into his right leg along with a splattering of other scrapes, gashes and punctures. I'll have to get another photo up.

I wanted to maybe give the idea that he is using the sword to keep himself up right, though it might not be the best positioning (or photo angle). Sort of like he fell back against this barrel (or drug and propped himself up with it) with a grievous leg wound and was totally surrounded, hence cover was pointless.

Thanks for the replies. When I get home from work today, I'll see if I can come up with a better photo. Maybe if I can lean him a bit more heavily on the sword it will work better (though I don't look forward to snapping him apart, damn super glue).

Ok, here's an update. I repositioned as suggested, setting him leaning more against the pipes and on his right arm. Unfortunately, with the barrel I couldn't find a good way to put the sword IN his hand, but I think stuck in the ground as is still works - thinking of maybe putting in the top of a grenade in his free hand. I actually chopped up the left biker leg in two spots and replaced it from the knee down with a different one so he didn't seem so rigid.

I'm liking this better, and it may be as good as it gets without destroying the model any further by breaking it a part again. I had a heck of a time with the head, had to chop it off to reset, and wound up destroying the front collar - to fix the problem I used a small piece of wire to suggest the ridge that would be there. I think once the paint is on, blemishes like that will be covered up if not already by battle damage.

gallery_49213_4130_111691.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_127531.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_332616.jpg

What I did learn is that I need to invest in a razor saw and some green stuff. Cutting through larger chunks of plastic isn't so easy with a xacto knife and kitchen scissors give you anything but a clean cut.

Threw together another using some Dark Angels icons. Hard to see in this photo, but to the right is actually a beakie helmet. Saw another marker (google images search) with a book and the helmet of a Fallen Dark Angel. I see it as clues for tracking one of the Fallen - thinking I would eventually do an actual Fallen as a maker as well, but that would take some new bits and better planning.

gallery_49213_4130_219869.jpg

I want to do a "weapons cache drop capsule" of sorts for my next marker. I figure if they can drop troops, they might drop equipment as well. My initial thoughts were using another barrel, maybe make it be somewhat pointed so it sticks in the ground, and cutting a door into it. However, now I'm thinking of something maybe more complex made out of card stock - like those Covenant supply boxes in Halo perhaps (anyone have any images of those?)

Suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: Now I'm leaning towards a scaled down dread drop pod on a 40mm base. I think that will work for holding equipment and munitions nicely.

No, but the UNSC do have their own equipment drop pods, which would be more Imperium-y than Covvie. Look at the Dro Pod item in Forge in Halo 3.

I recall some sort of weird shaped purple covenant supply/kiosk type boxes, but yea they would probably be too xeno looking.

However, I had some plans for the dread drop pod I mentioned above and reduced them 75% to make up some templates. Just a rough mock up, going to probably redo the doors and use regular card stock to the fin embellishments. I'm thinking certain weapons could fit in the center part and ammo packs and such can be strapped to the doors.

The doors would hang more than half way off a 40mm base - it might not look bad, as it would give the doors more leverage, but on the other hand would 60mm base just be too large for a objective marker?

gallery_49213_4130_277379.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_223861.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos - camera phone. I included one photo with a ruler, sorry no models handy (I threw it together at work).

[...]

The doors would hang more than half way off a 40mm base - it might not look bad, as it would give the doors more leverage, but on the other hand would 60mm base just be too large for a objective marker?

[...]

Well, as it is an objective marker, it might have scattered somewhere where absolutely doesn't belong.

Model it like it was half buried or crashed into a rock/building/enemy/other random piece of scenery, so you only have to open one or two doors. This way you could "cheat" your way around the space issues and also solve the problem of what would be inside. Just sprinkle some grenades and rockets around and say it popped open when it crashed down. You could even make some plundered orkyfied versions as well.

I really like the idea behind this (Once I almost bought some epic drop pods for a similar project).

Well, as it is an objective marker, it might have scattered somewhere where absolutely doesn't belong.

Model it like it was half buried or crashed into a rock/building/enemy/other random piece of scenery, so you only have to open one or two doors. This way you could "cheat" your way around the space issues and also solve the problem of what would be inside. Just sprinkle some grenades and rockets around and say it popped open when it crashed down. You could even make some plundered orkyfied versions as well.

I really like the idea behind this (Once I almost bought some epic drop pods for a similar project).

Those are some great ideas and it lets me put some DA sings on the doors that are closed. I can already imagine one with a door blown off and orkish graffity all over it. (by the way, they may be close to epic size) Thanks!

Love the Mini DropPod, any chance you can do a fast how to on making them, it would be great to be able to make 3 or 4 for my scout force...

As for a "how to", I'll do you one better. Santa Cruz Warhammer already has a great walk-through with photos for the regular drop pod, here. For the smaller scale, all you have to do is use this.

*Please note these are the parts I deemed essential - the original GW pattern had a handful of other bits for the actual size pod. You may need to do some finessing depending on the materials you use - for instance, for the doors I did not use the tabs designated in the pattern because of the small size and thickness of the poster board. I'm also going to look into making some sort of hinge for the door.

Update here - Added the fin embellishments (for lack of a better word). At this size, you could probably do without them, but I think it definitely helps add depth. Probably a little sloppy, cutting wise, but I'm going to blame it on the paper. I found some scrap poster border, thinner than the black kind used for the frame, but it's outer layer tended to tear a bit. Again with the small scale, I'm hoping a decent paint job will cover that up (plus it has to look a bit worn, being dropped from space and all).

gallery_49213_4130_80045.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos - camera phone. I included one photo with a ruler, sorry now models handy (I threw it together at work).

Dude, where do you work where you can do some modeling on the clock? and are they hiring? ;)

Dude, where do you work where you can do some modeling on the clock? and are they hiring? :)

Ssssh...

Haha. I'm actually a graphic designer, so I basically have all the tools right at hand. Cutting board, scrap poster board, a bevy of adhesives, xacto knife and my trusty Mac Pro. Slow day + looking like I might be working on something job related = win.

Of course, I'm glad no one questioned why I was cutting out oddly shaped pieces of board and glueing them together. I have some plans for the doors, but I took everything home so I wouldn't be tempted to do anymore modeling on the clock today. Don't want to push it.

On a side note, I've learned that rubber cement (especially when working with these paper products) is a must for mockups. You basically have a piece you can pull apart easily and reposition but will hold just fine otherwise. I may try it next time I arrange some plastics, might have helped in the case of that wounded sarge up top as I had to butcher it to break the super glue's hold.

• 1 month later...

It's been quite some time since I even looked at this...

I ran into a few problems with the doors of the pod. One, because of the size and thickness of the poster board, I really couldn't make tabs to keep them together. Two, the poster board would separate at it's edges when scored and folded.

So, I started messing around with masking tape and realized that I could actually hold them together AND create a bit of texture on the doors, like the overlapping metal pieces you see tech marine type armor.

At the top part I doubled up on the tape and cut out a small detail. Though I'm not sure how they will look when painted - the small edge created by the tape may be too thin. The other part you see there is the metal part of a pencil eraser to serve as the hinge. It was the right size and already had nice texture to it, I just have to figure out how to attach it.

I plan on also incorporating a DA symbol or two.

gallery_49213_4130_9290.jpg

What do you guys think? I know the masking tape is unconventional, but considering the small size of this object (the height of marine), I figured it would still paint up ok.

so what comes down in the pods?, fabric softner?, portable washing machines?...they gotta keep there robes clean in the field

Haha... Well the idea was that they were resupply pods for squads already out in the field, so an assortment of equipment... you're thinking of the Mk.III version, which IS a washing machine. Deep striking washing machines.

lookng great, the drop pod makess a perfect marker i may give that a try!

Thanks.

There is some reduced size pod plans in my album. You'll have to improvise a tad (like hinges), but you'll get the basics. Good luck to you...

My observations where that the posterboard I used is probably not the best material for the job. It was scrap here at work, so I used it, but it it has a tendency to pull apart from it's layers (hence the use of masking tape in this case) or the thinner stuff frays a bit. I don't know anything about plasticard, but it sounds like a better idea, and will probably paint better. The board seemed to absorb the primer differently than the plastic bits, so I'm worried about how it will paint up.

Overall, I feel the tape and board provided a some what heavy handed model here. On the up side, it cost me virtually nothing. On the down side, pencils WERE injured in the making of this pod, they may write again, but will never erase.

I'd love to see some others do one up in a much cleaner fashion. With the modeling skills on this site, I have no doubt anyone else's will put mine to shame (so maybe I don't want to see it, lol).

Archived