50% GW

Grey Mage

So what exactly does it mean when they say a tournament model must be 50% GW model or origional sculpt?

Where can I find the official rules on this?

Does it count as an origional sculpt if you made it and then cast it in resin?

So what exactly does it mean when they say a tournament model must be 50% GW model or origional sculpt?

Where can I find the official rules on this?

Does it count as an origional sculpt if you made it and then cast it in resin?

1. The mostly dont want you buying a WWII tank model and saying its a preditor. so half of it has to come either from GW stuff, or be something you sculpted yourself, likely from greenstuff.

2. Havnt the foggiest, but asking whoever is organising the tournament is a good start.

3. Maybe, likely not though, they want you spending money on their stuff, though again its best to ask the tournament organisers, as it likely changes from store to store

Because you can buy various different miniatures from companies besides GW, their produce can fit rather well into the 40k Universe and lend a unique flavour to your models.

It's largely an unwritten rule, afaik, that at least 50% of any model in tournaments, in store, etc, must be made up of GW mini parts. It's so less enforced for that, however, as you won't even be allowed to put them on the table if not enough of the parts that go into the model are sourced from GW.

All of the GW sponsored events that I’ve ever attended (and some independent) specifically stipulated the use of GW/Citadel models. In any case, the specific rules for the event should spell this out for you.

Example from 2009 ‘Ard Boyz rules;

Any conversions must begin as Citadel models and contain a majority of Citadel components.

Non-Citadel models may not be used in the event.

I believe it stems from the fact that GW is a model making company and their events are used to promote the sales of their models. So it would dilute the intent to allow competitors’ models in their events. I’ve never heard of an original sculpt being rejected at an official tourney. This would go to follow since individual sculptors aren’t competing financially with GW.

Still, different events take this more seriously than others. If you have any doubt, I’ve found it a best practice to e-mail them a pic of the model and ask them if it’s permissible. When they reply, “Yeah, sure, why not?” bring along a copy of that e-mail with you to the event in case anyone makes an issue of it.

-OMG

Yeah pretty much what OMG said. Just ask before hand. I and a lot of other peole pre and post release of GW drops brought home built ones and the only GW part I had on there was a Storm bolter sponson.

Cheers,

Ramo

Well Im working on some sculpts, that Id like to cast just because resin is better for longevity and painting then ceramic, that are "warp gates" about the same size as a DP, and to be proxied as such in a SW force with 13nth company colors.

Archived