Shield design for my wolf lord

stinkenheim

ok, i want your opinions on how im planning to do my shield. being bjorn stormwolf, i figured there should be lightning and such like. however i didnt want to just paint an image onto the shield, so using a technique i've been working on for a while now i decided to paint it as if it had been etched onto a bronze shield.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/stinkenheim/shieldmockup.jpg

i know its a bit of a rough mockup (i did it quickly in photoshop to get an idea) but i'd appreciate your opinions on it none the less...

well its all gonna be metalics with glazes over the top to give the impression of it being etched in, so a brighter 'gold' colour than the background is the best i can say at the moment... im gonna experiment on some scraps of plasticard tomorrow so i'll post up some shots when i get them

ok, this is the best pic i could get of the shield as it stands... i think im gonna gve the wolf another coat of chainmail (and possibly a highlight of mithril) before glazing it with sepia again to get the copperish colour back.

comments please guys... oh the edge is gonna be goldish, brighter than the centre of the shield

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/stinkenheim/DSC00792.jpg

Looks great man. The shield is perfect.

One thing I would change is the position of the axe head. The shaft goes into the head of the hammer too far back making it look to front heavy for it to be an effective weapon. Moving it forward just a bit so that its midway would make it look a lot more natural.

From haveing some experience with working with brass and owning some stuff of bronze it looks very realistic. The tones is great and ae really the colours one could get with etching and then ageing. You have really nailed it so my only critique would be that we don´t have any close ups on the details on the termi :lol:

Looking forward to the finished product

The shield is really cool, a great idea and executed well! I'm really looking forward to seeing the whole mini coming together. My only concern is that, not being familiar with how you paint that the whole style would have to be a bit more realistic and gritty for that shield to fit in.

If the shield is any indication the mini should be something special when it's done, I'll be keeping an eye on it! :huh:

Archived