Can Space Marines fall back, get pinned, etc.?

Polaris

My friend plays space marines and has talked about a few things that are not explained in my rule book.

So I have a few question for you guys.

1) Will/can a space marine (squad) ever fail a moral check?

2) Can space marines fall back from enemy fire?

3) Can they be pinned?

My last question is

Can a land raider move more then 6", disembark its troops, fire its weapons, and then have the troops assault?

Sorry for the mix of questions. I have never taken a look at his space marine codex so I have no idea of this stuff works!

Thanks!

1) Will/can a space marine (squad) ever fail a moral check?

Sure. If, for example, they take 25% losses in an opponent shooting phase, they have to roll their Leadership score or under for a morale check, just like everybody else. Codex Marines can elect to fail, as has been said. (They cannot elect to pass unless they have Calgar on the table.) In essence, anytime any non-Space Marine unit would have to make a morale check, the Space Marines must make a morale check under those circumstances as well. And they can fail if they roll poorly enough.

2) Can space marines fall back from enemy fire?

If they take 25% losses and fail their morale check OR elect to fail, they certainly can and will fall back. They do not have to roll to rally; provided enemies are not within 6" of them, they will rally automatically. This means you can still shepard a marine unit off of the board, but if only one remains and he's more than 6" away from enemies, that marine will still auto-rally and can open fire as if he hasn't moved (so if he's got a missile launcher, he can fire immediately after regrouping...if he doesn't move immediately after that is).

3) Can they be pinned?

Yes. Again, they have to fail their morale check for this to happen.

My last question is

Can a land raider move more then 6", disembark its troops, fire its weapons, and then have the troops assault?

Yes, this is certainly within the rules. A LR is an Assault Vehicle, so troops can disembark from it and assault in the same turn that the LR has moved. The troops cannot move if the LR moved first, however...they can ONLY move during an assault. The LR can fire as well, but likely not all of them (unless it's a Crusader). A standard LR could fire most of it's guns though...move 6" means you can fire one weapon (i.e. one of the lascannons) and all of your defensive weapons (anything below str 4)...all at the same target. With Power of the Machine Spirit it could fire an additional weapon (i.e. likely another lascannon) at the same target or a different target if it wishes. This is a pretty typical LR strategy and I recommend using it. <3

A LR is an Assault Vehicle, so troops can disembark from it and assault in the same turn that the LR has moved. The troops cannot move if the LR moved first, however...they can ONLY move during an assault

I am a little confused on the wording of this. Could you elaborate a little more please?

A LR is an Assault Vehicle, so troops can disembark from it and assault in the same turn that the LR has moved. The troops cannot move if the LR moved first, however...they can ONLY move during an assault

I am a little confused on the wording of this. Could you elaborate a little more please?

Sure.

According to the basic rule book, if troops disembark before a transport has moved, they can move during their movement phase. If the transport moves first, THEN the troops disembark, they CANNOT move during the move phase.

So what I mean is:

Ex 1. Rhino moves, troops disembark (get out). The troops cannot move their 6" this turn. The troops cannot assault.

Ex 2. Troops disembark from a Rhino that has not yet moved. The troops CAN move their 6" this turn. The troops CAN assault, as the Rhino did not move. The Rhino can move after the troops have disembarked.

This changes a bit when a Land Raider is being used, as it's an Assault Vehicle...this means that whether the LR has moved or not, the troops can disembark and assault...movement restrictions still apply though:

Ex 1. LR moves 6-12", troops disembark. They cannot move their 6" during the movement phase, but they CAN assault.

Ex 2. Troops disembark before LR moves. The troops can move 6" during the Move phase, and they can assault as well. The LR can move after the troops have disembarked.

This changes a bit when a Land Raider is being used, as it's an Assault Vehicle...this means that whether the LR has moved or not, the troops can disembark and assault...movement restrictions still apply though:

Ex 1. LR moves 6-12", troops disembark. They cannot move their 6" during the movement phase, but they CAN assault.

Ex 2. Troops disembark before LR moves. The troops can move 6" during the Move phase, and they can assault as well. The LR can move after the troops have disembarked.

I thought you could not disembark from a land raider if it had moved 7"-12" (cruising speed), or am I mistaken?

Sure.

According to the basic rule book, if troops disembark before a transport has moved, they can move during their movement phase. If the transport moves first, THEN the troops disembark, they CANNOT move during the move phase.

So what I mean is:

Ex 1. Rhino moves, troops disembark (get out). The troops cannot move their 6" this turn. The troops cannot assault.

Ex 2. Troops disembark from a Rhino that has not yet moved. The troops CAN move their 6" this turn. The troops CAN assault, as the Rhino did not move. The Rhino can move after the troops have disembarked.

But the troops can still run correct so they have a possible 12" landraider move 2" disembark up to a 6" run and then a 6" assault as well?

But the troops can still run correct so they have a possible 12" landraider move 2" disembark up to a 6" run and then a 6" assault as well?

A unit cannot run and assault in the same turn unless that unit has the Fleet special rule. In general, running out of a LR is only something you do if you want to snag an objective in turn 7. ^_^ Also, I don't believe you can run a unit if the LR (or transport in general) has moved first.

Running is allowed after disembarking, vehicle moved or not.

As you are allowed to shoot after disembarking.

Makes sense. Wouldn't help with assaults...unless you're fleet. In which case, that's pretty awesome.

Nope, you can't Fleet and Assault after getting out of a rhino that has itself moved. FAQ'd.

If the vehicle were open-topped or had an assault ramp, that's a different story.

Of course fleet removes the assult restriction from runing, any other assult restrictions are still there, the reference was being made to a landraider however.

Archived