Matchbox Toy Terrain

HVNSNTSOLDIER

Title says it all, I'm in need of some new, unique terrain for my local group (i'm the main terrain and table provider). Lately, everyone says they are getting tired of battling over the same old set-ups and terrain we usually use. So all eyes and fingers were pointed at me to come up with something, well... "different" then what we were use too. My main inspiration thus far has been the Fallout series of games, more primarily towards the Fallout 3 game. We have maaaaaaany Wasteland themed pieces, but very limited (3 or 4) blasted city pieces between the 10 of us. We wanted something that could function both as an Objective terrain piece, but also as a standard or stand alone piece.

So, yesterday, I was helping my parents clean out the basement. Stumbled on an old bin of toys and knick knacks I had when I was real little, and lookee what I found (apologies for the slight glare):

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc266/hayhay847/035.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc266/hayhay847/036.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc266/hayhay847/037.jpg

Everyone loved the idea of this piece, both for its challenging layout and usefull tactic planning. But one problem arose... what's the thing ACTUALLY GONNA BE? We made a brief list of stuff we wanted it to have:

-Must pertain to the Fallout universe

-Have a blasted citty theme, too many wasteland terrain built already

-No problem with removing parts of the main base for terrain

-Modernized ideas are accepted, as long as you find a way to give it a 1950's twist

-There are no such things as stupid ideas

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

-SOLDIER

Our terrain isn't STRICTLY Fallout based, its just a guideline at most, and by limiting,what do you mean? Like material wize? As to the Bomb Shelter Entrance idea, very cool, love it! Lets see some more ideas guys and gals!

Our terrain isn't STRICTLY Fallout based, its just a guideline at most, and by limiting,what do you mean? Like material wize? As to the Bomb Shelter Entrance idea, very cool, love it! Lets see some more ideas guys and gals!

you made it sound like you wanted only fallout based ideas, i haven't played fall out, but i understand it's an alt-history thing, post WWII alien invasion or something?

but i figured if it's lik 50's-60's if that's what you were going for only that might limit you, in the fact that star ports and things like that would be out.

any way, glad i could help.

If it sounded a bit confusing, I apollogise :P. I really should have explained the background of the project better:

-As a group, we came up with a small but knowledgable history for a fictional imperial planet based around the Fallout universe

-Since some imperial planets were lost for hundreds of years to centuries and longer, most have been found to either be left in the past or blown into the future. This planet of ours, Noel VI, is one who has the power and classification of a Civilized world (just pre-Hive world), and has the means of Atomic and Neuclear power. We rolled with this 1940-1950's mentality and went to say that not only was the power retro-tech, but also the lifestyles of the people as well! Possibly still early post-heresy?

-Civil war broke out between a few major factions, one thing led to another, and the world was quite literally upheaved and deformed into a Wasteland planet overnight.

-Contact was lost for years, years turned to decades, decades to centuries.... yet the people endured. Barely, but they did nonetheless.

- Contact was recently old tech discovered and reclaimed, and history of the Great Heresy unearthed! But conflict ensued with the Imperial explorers, and reclamation of the planet has wrought war upon this world ever since...

Hope this helps! By Fallout theme, I mean keep it as a loose idea. No nuclear powered nuka cola machines or stuff like that, think bomb shelters, old atomic tech used by heresy era civilians and military, retro futura armor used by earlier imperial guard of this planet, dud nukes, etc. Keep it generic and broad, but not too out of topic.

Although I don't think the terrain is bad, I believe the scale is pretty off. You may need to consider revising some details like the house on the little island part and whatnot. One thing you will probably have trouble with is how far off the ground most of it is.

Suggestions for making it look all Fallout-ish:

-Have you looked at the GW branded 40k terrain? When I think fallout, debris is the most underlying theme aside from the quasi-50's motif.

-One thing you can try is to make newspapers from green-stuff or stiffened paper.

-Perhaps more garbage or skeletons/decayed bodies.

-Definitely metal signs like street signs or Fallout shelter signs strewn about.

-Possibly old, warn billboards promising any number of consumer products. After such a long time, these boards would be nearly completely warn/decayed so you probably want a lot of weathering.

-Broken down vehicles! You can probably find some things in the normal plastic model area (buses, older cars, etc.). May need to tech it out. Bonus Internets for actually including a beat up DeLoreon!

you made it sound like you wanted only fallout based ideas, i haven't played fall out, but i understand it's an alt-history thing, post WWII alien invasion or something?

but i figured if it's lik 50's-60's if that's what you were going for only that might limit you, in the fact that star ports and things like that would be out.

We figured a way around that too! Since these were the fallen remanents of the world BEFORE the great civil war (very brief history above) most, if not all, spaceports and imperial communications structures have been outright destroyed or damaged beyond repair... but a few are still able to be used. Barely, but useable. They are by no means up to imperial standards and must be constantly watched, guarded, and maintained.

Spagunk: HAHA @ the DeLorian! That will definately be put to good use! Maybe some wastelanders found it, scav'ed it for parts and built their own wormhole system or something. Amazing possabilities! Also, to the wrecked cars and advertising billboards, I am in the process now of making armored Imperial styled 1950's Corvettes and Vegas from 1:25 car models, and Chryslus Corvega billboards to go with them! Other ideas were excelent too, maybe this could turn out to be a Gas Station hiding the entrance location to a Vault type structure, like Smith Kasey's Garage! Aw man i'm getting pumped!!! (no pun intended.... maybe)

Small update:

All the small fidly little levers and flippers have been removed for easier work and additional Bitz details. Just began work on a small billboard, shown below.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc266/hayhay847/002-8.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc266/hayhay847/001-9.jpg

Also, i'm planning on doing a small detachment of renegade imperial guard used as a neutral neuscence to the armies fighting in specific areas, heheheh... my favorite part is gonna be their sentinels. Using smaller scaled corvettes and such for the cockpits. Similar to this!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc266/hayhay847/DeiselpunkAtomicChevyWalker.jpg

Archived