Abbadon = 275

Prince, wings, warptime = 155

Greater Daemon = 100

3 Dreadnoughts, Twin DCCW = 300

3 Defilers, 4 DCCW = 450

5 Plague Marines, Champ, Icon and 2 Meltaguns inside rhino = 190

I didn't think changing around a prince, fewer marines for abbadon would make that big a difference, I was wrong. Abby took down 14 terminators in a deathwing list by himself, the rest of the army was pretty battered and took all the firepower. Splitting my troops into the rhinos and removing the powerfist from my champs had me worried, but the greater daemon picked up where the powerfist would have.

I tested a while back where abby would stand against a 275 pt bloodthirster and he was shockingly close to defeating it by himself, with either side charging it came to a near total draw among many matches. With a warptime prince that is also very nasty, and almost like a greater daemon himself I wonder if I'm not using 3 greater daemons in this army on top of 6 dreaddies. (I figure the lack of firepower on the 3 dreads is made up by battle cannons on the other 3 defilers, on top of costing slightly less then a loyalists dread)

So, I went to another game after being kicked down the first three turns, and dominating the next 2 turns against a deathwing, I went up against an ork army. He had something like 140 orks total in this force, getting up near a full swarm of orks with good dakka. I was shocked, he took out abby first and it took most of his army to do it. (If I had to guess, I could have lost 2 defilers and my prince instead) because he wanted his nobz to take care of my big walkers. Unfortunately, it didn't go his way and my walkers stomped all over his orks using fleet/wings to get the charge on him first. Tying up 90 of his orks and refusing his furious charge for str9 powerklaw attacks. From then on it was a steady loss for him.

Third game was up against eldar mech, I decided to put my defilers in reserves to make sure they got their battle cannon shots. (It only takes but one dread to kill most of his units in melee) so with an easy victory it was a short game. He mistakingly ignored my rhinos, which were hidden behind each dreadnought. Abbadon had the pleasure of abusing his 2+ save against a small warlock unit's str9 attacks, a very hard core mismatch. Greater daemon munched his dire avengers and outpaced them when they ran, both units!

After the three games I ignored the objectives entirely, going just for annhilation, and getting objectives where they suited me in the opponents side of the table every game. Abbadon made a huge difference, I had used him before like this but never payed attention (or used him properly). Teleporting him in every game with 3 icons around makes it easy for me, especially with all the walkers taking the hits and having tough plague marines of course. Little too light on troops though.

I brag sometimes but this is a bit much, abbadon in a list that has units as tough as him is very nasty. I feel like I'm abusing lash, without lash. (And I could add a lash in fact).

Opinions on making it a better army without lash? I was thinking noise marines with some sonic weapons, or trading out the defilers for oblits at the 2000 point level for 8 total to deep strike in with abby. Perhaps using the icons more for another 11 lesser daemons to sit on objectives or to tie up a high initiative rending unit like harlequins/daemonettes, or just general units until my big stuff arrives. Even thought about removing a dread, for a land raider unit of some cheap terminators.

I'll be using this army again soon, because the eldar player cried vengeance (I assume he'll be making an anti-chaos zilla list full of fire dragons and wraithlords) so a few opinions on what to use would be nice.

A topic if this army is too much for casual play, so... Is it too much? I can't tell always playing against lists that can wipe 50 marines by turn 3 if the marine player isnt careful. (twin lash armies/four wolfjaw armies/powerfist sniper+walker armies and the like are common)

Which reminds me, I wont add thousand sons full of gift of chaos sorcerers to remove a squads powerfist. Too mean with 6 walkers IMO. I hate that tactic, its used against me all the time. Vindicator+Telion, Duo mind war+wraithlords, wolfjaws+4 dreads*one is a HQ dread, multiple boon of mutations+3 soul grinders, the list goes on and on.

Archived