Space Marine 5th ed. Codex

the_forgefather

Hi all!

I am confused with the standard wargear of most of the units. Like with the Honor Guard: it says they have a Power Weapon, Boltgun, Bolt Pistol; but says in the Options that any model may TAKE, not replace as it says the Chapter Champion can, a relic blade and/or auxiliary grenade launcher in addition to their basic wargear. But in the Command Squad it says each one has a Chainsword, Boltgun OR Bolt Pistol; so there is a distinction here.

Same thing with the Tactical, Scout, Sternguard, Legion of the Damned, and Devastator Squads; the Codex says they all come standard with a Boltgun, Bolt Pistol? Not the Space Marines have Boltguns and the Sergeant has a Bolt Pistol. And with the Scout Bike Squads it says they have Bolt Pistol, Shotgun -so they have two weapons now, as opposed to the old Codex? If so then that's great because I can make my Tactical Squads shoot with their Bolt Pistols and charge into close combat as opposed to either shooting them with my Boltguns and not charging, if the rules are the same in the 5th Ed. rulebook -still haven't bought it yet :)

In the case of Honour Guard, you can take the wording in the army list at face value. In other words, “replace” means “swap this for that” and “take” means, “add this thing to the other stuff the model already has.” The only real oddity is the Relic Blade. It infers (RAW) that any model so equipped has both a Relic Blade & Power Weapon (samurai style I suppose).

In the case of the Command Squad, the models can be equipped with either Boltguns OR Bolt pistols but not both. That makes them a bit of an oddity when compared to other SM units but that’s how they read in the army list. IF you take the pistol option that opens up another swapable item when equipping the squad from the Model Options: section.

And you are correct, this version of the Codex equipped many units with both Bolter & Bolt pistol standard. So you can fire pistols before charging to your heart’s content. That rule has stayed consistent from 4th Edition.

So your understating is correct. I hope that helped. -OMG

Archived