my Ironclad Dreadnought

dongabhana

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/dongabhana/sp%20works%20in%20progress/Cu4.jpg

Ahhh thats much better!

Lovely neat painting :)

I don't know if you've had chance to try any washes, but, these would make your already great neat model, look totally detailed.

A baal red ink over the red would make it 'pop' out and add a shade/highlight effect.

I would recommend (if you have the time) popping into your local GW and ask for a demonstration of the washes :down:_

Great job!!

I wash all of my marines with asurmen blue and my vehicles with devlan mud before painting, some times after also. But I'll ask in my store for a "baal red ink".

Because all of my skulls, marks etc are red so it would be cool to make them look more detailed!

thanks for the advice!

- Don G.

From what I can see in the pictures, I think the gray for the body of the dread looks really nice, and agree that making the symbol on the sarcophagus stand out will help.

I'd put the wash of red into the recessed parts of the symbol then add a highlight to the raised bits like you did on the main armor.

Is that navy blu just a normal spray or does it say its a dedicated undercoat? I'd persanlly save th washes until the end, so just get rid of the first wash stage, as it probebly isn't doing anything.

Don't worry about the leg amour, it looks quite cool like that, and could be a tme you could carry on with the other dreads

I'm sure he uses the first wash as a preshade. Many professional painters do that as well.

The dreadnought looks good, especially for a beginner, much better than many of my early attempts to paint and build. As say it could use another wash, I suggest Devlan mud or black for the metallics on the sarcophagus and the skull/red details. Baal red in my experience isn't the best at shading red paint. Ogryn Flesh would even work for shading the red.

Cheers!

I sometimes preshade, and did it a lot when I first started painting. Basecoat, first highlight, preshade, second higlight, third highlight, glaze to bring together. Its a simple method that can work quite well.

Nowadays, trends have moved forward from this, and layering has come back into fasion, along with a blending wash.

Archived