SW Drop Pods

Gentlemanloser

I just noticed the the SW Drop Pod entry lists them as being open topped after they've deployed.

I can't remember normal 'nilla Pods being classed as this.

It makes SW Pods easier to destroy (useful in Kill Points) as the open Topped gives a +1 to the damage chart.

But more importantly, could you then assault from an Open Topped Drop Pod? :thanks:

Gah! So they do! Never noticed that! ;)

I thought the 'Lucious' Drop Pod allowed it because it had the Assault rule (which would be the same rule an open topped Drop Pod would give, isn't it?).

The Lucious Drop Pod has the Assault Vehicle rule, so assaulting out of it with your dread is legal. No other drop pod has that rule, so the no assault on deep strike rule applies.

Gah! So they do! Never noticed that! ;)

I thought the 'Lucious' Drop Pod allowed it because it had the Assault rule (which would be the same rule an open topped Drop Pod would give, isn't it?).

The Lucious pattern DP is a Forgeworld Construction..... they do all sorts of odd things, wich is why they are opponents consent.

But basicly what it boils down to is this: you cant, bar a special rule, assault out of deepstrike.

If your in a vehicle that just deepstruck it makes sense that this would restrict you as well.

Gdub really needs to make a plastic kit of the Lucious model DP. The regular DP just cannot carry a dreadnaught, even if you yank out all the inners. With the 5 smaller opening doors, it's like a fat guy trying to snake his way through a packed restaurant. It's not gonna happen.

The other thing that I find odd are the Deathwind Missiles only able to fire 12", that's a little short for a missile.

Gdub really needs to make a plastic kit of the Lucious model DP. The regular DP just cannot carry a dreadnaught, even if you yank out all the inners. With the 5 smaller opening doors, it's like a fat guy trying to snake his way through a packed restaurant. It's not gonna happen.

The other thing that I find odd are the Deathwind Missiles only able to fire 12", that's a little short for a missile.

Yeah, and its a template that scatters too...

Theyre rockets, or maybe short ranged napalm?

What's the difference between;

Assault Vehicle (Models disembarking from any acess point <snip> may launch an assault on the turn they do so)

and;

Open Topped (The passengers of open-topped vehicles may assault, even if the vehicle has moved before thier disembarkation)

As for the DS rules, wouldn't Assault/Open Topped both satisfy;

(these units may not lanuch an Assault, <snip> unless clearly stated in thier special rules)

Assault Vehicle (Models disembarking from any acess point <snip> may launch an assault on the turn they do so)

and;

Open Topped (The passengers of open-topped vehicles may assault, even if the vehicle has moved before thier disembarkation)

(these units may not lanuch an Assault, <snip> unless clearly stated in thier special rules)

Because the rules for the dreadnought drop pod in IA2 specifically state you can assault the turn you disembark, while a normal drop pod still follows the deep strike restriction.

Remember there is a FAQ ruling that models in a drop pod deep strike so can't assault. Opentopped does not over ride this, while the special dread drop pod does.

Thanks, not got the IA2 update on this PC, but couldn't remember it having a special rule (other than Assault Vehicle!).

Yeah, it specifically states that this is different than how other drop pods work. And all drop pods are open topped, even the dreadnought one.

and;

However on page 47 of the SW codex. IT states that it can't.

You cannot purposefully land a drop pod into difficult terrain, well I guess you could but you would mishap we reckon. That's why intertial guidance system helps, stops you landing in such places I believe by reducing scatter.

Been a long time since I read about pods though so I may be wrong.

Just means we should have been killing Drop Pods easier than we have been! :D

(As an aside, what happens if you land a Drop Pod in difficult terrain, which is counted as dangerous Terrain and you roll a 1?)

Drop pods that do that or come too close to enemy troops you just reduce tha scatter so they land mim distance from the problem, due to their thrusters Im sure I read the dex correctly about this

Internal Guidance Systems just reduces the scatter into Impassible Terrain/ other Troops. You can still go off the board (and suffer a perils) or land on Difficult Terrain.

And now difficult Terrain is counted as Dangerous for DSing unit, so the DP owuld have to take a Dangerous Terrain Test and could imoblise itself. As it's already imbolised, I'#m assuming that would mean it owuld lose it's SB/DML.

I can't remember if it would then stay like that until another damaging result, or count as destroyed then, and eject its passengers! :D

Internal Guidance Systems just reduces the scatter into Impassible Terrain/ other Troops. You can still go off the board (and suffer a perils) or land on Difficult Terrain.

And now difficult Terrain is counted as Dangerous for DSing unit, so the DP owuld have to take a Dangerous Terrain Test and could imoblise itself. As it's already imbolised, I'#m assuming that would mean it owuld lose it's SB/DML.

I can't remember if it would then stay like that until another damaging result, or count as destroyed then, and eject its passengers! :D

Whoops I always played that as including difficult terrain... *sweeps evidence under carpet*

It's just as it sounds, you do the DT Test, and may lose weapons, then anything 3+ would go directly to Destroyed and since passengers disembark you don't have to worry about them being "ejected", they just disembark normally. I think that is what you are asking.

Totally didn't think about DP's hitting DT...

But don't drop pods only become open-topped after the unit disembarks? I know it says it on the models entry, but under it's rules it says, in the Fire and Access Points part, that it becomes open-topped after disembarkation.

Well open-topped as disembarkation as you can deploy anywhere around the drop pod but yes, but really are people worried about it exploding that much that they would give up the ability to drop right in someone's face rather than have to run across the board or buy an expensive LR to get the unit across safely?

Well open-topped as disembarkation as you can deploy anywhere around the drop pod but yes, but really are people worried about it exploding that much that they would give up the ability to drop right in someone's face rather than have to run across the board or buy an expensive LR to get the unit across safely?

Yes, because after that the whole unit could end up more or less stuck away from any form of combat usefulness for a turn or two, and it might not hit where you want it. plus Rhinos make good barracades and cover

Internal Guidance says you can't scatter onto Impassable Terrain (and therefore roll on the chart) and same goes for enemy models...it doesn't keep you from dropping onto difficult terrain, which we all know is dangerous for deep striking units as the Drop Pod is considered to be when dropping.

Archived