Cover and Blast Templates

thade

I have this faint (possibly false) memory of seeing this in the rulebook, but I checked the weapons chapter, the cover chapter, and the vehicle chapter, and...nothing. So here I will ask so I know for sure.

THE CIRCUMSTANCE: Every member of a unit except ONE model is in a ruin. The ruin is bolstered , 3+ cover save. Defiler battle cannon can both trace line of sight to the single model AND through a window into the ruin (he can see another member of the squad that way).

THE ISSUE: Does the unit get a cover save? The cover rules are pretty clear that if 50% or more of a unit is in cover, then the whole unit gets a cover save. However, one member of my club stated that it needs to be "cover from the center of the blast template, not from LOS, when it comes to blast templates." If that is the case...how can you ever get cover from any blast templates? Is this a 4th ed throw back/misinterpretation? If this is in fact in the rules, I'd love a page citation. I'm getting a bit tired of looking for it. =(

Thanks in advance, all.

For the Defiler's Battle Cannon, you get a cover save. You determine the cover save from the weapon's location to the squad when its direct fire. The only time you determine from the center of the blast is when its an Indirect Fire weapon. It is a common mistake though, so don't be too rough on anyone.

Barrage can be indirect. If it's just ordinance it's direct.

Plus, ruins are area terrain anyway. If he fired via barrage/indirect your men would still be in cover, what with it being area terrain.

Not quite true, if the majority of the unit is within 2" of the firing unit (or the centre of the hole of an indirect blast), then the unit does not get cover. At least that's my interpretation of it. So if you want to escape a barrage weapon, hide under something, it can only hit the top floor it hits of buildings.

Plus, ruins are area terrain anyway. If he fired via barrage/indirect your men would still be in cover, what with it being area terrain.

Not quite true, if the majority of the unit is within 2" of the firing unit (or the centre of the hole of an indirect blast), then the unit does not get cover. At least that's my interpretation of it. So if you want to escape a barrage weapon, hide under something, it can only hit the top floor it hits of buildings.

Not quite, that rule only aplies when fireing out of area terain, not into. If their feat are in area terrain, they get cover.

But yeah to determin if something gets cover from a blast, just ask yourself if it would get cover from a bolter. The exeption being inderect fire (using a barrage weapon inderectly) where cover is determinded from the center of the template.

Thank you so much. =) How/where do you tell if it's direct-fire vs indirect fire?

Everything fires directly unless it specifically mentions Indirect Fire only. There are 2 methods used that indicate Indirect Fire. If you see a Minimum and a Maximum range listed in the weapon's profile or (older codex) Gxx" (for example G48"), it is an Indirect Fire weapon. Ignore the typo in the Codex: Space Marine Summary page for the Vindicator, its not Indirect.

P.S. The Barrage rule would also be a good indicator of Indirect Fire.

Just to show you the rules, BRB pg.22 Exceptions second bullet point tells us that models in area terrain are in cover.

No matter where the shot comes from, even from a barrage weapon, the model gets cover.

The 2" rule is in the fourth bullet point , Firing out of area terrain.

Even from above, models get cover as it's "no matter which direction the shot came from." If you're in area terrain, you'll get cover from anything but D-strength and template weapons (and other specific ones in certain codexes).

Except if you implode. Then you don't get cover saves :).

Archived