Thousand Son Metal Paint Scheme

Malanok

Hello there!

I currently do not collect thousand sons, I collect Chaos Daemons. My brother saw my WIP Daemon Prince and thought it would look good on a Thousand Son (because it was based off a Thousand Son ^^)

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs51/i/2009/293/2/2/Thousand_Son__smaller_pic__by_Malanok.jpg

There is a few better pics on my DA (sorry about that!)

Malanok

P.S C&C welcome (I know about the eyes, they are terrible)

Wow! I actually really like this metal effect. I'm assuming you painted with some sort of silver paint and washed it over with blue? It looks fantastic. Is there any chance you could take a picture with some better lighting? Or is he actually that dark? Good stuff :D

Cheers,

-Kal

Thanks to all of you!

as for the blue, it is darker then enchanted blue, but lighter then regal blue; it's hard to describe, it is light, dull, and (somehow) shiny at the same time.

I brought the blue as an off hand buy for something else and then decided to try it on Warhammer (I got it from my local craft store but here is a link to their sight and the paint [link])

1. paint the entire model boltgun metal; I find this a good base for metallics (highlight at this stage if you don't want to mess around mixing paints)

2. paint the blue and shining gold;

3. Other small details need painting ( the robe was bleached bone, the small thread on the robe was calthan brown etc...)

4. Badab Black the entire model; try to drown the whole model then wait for it to dry

5. paint the base to what ever colour you want; I recommend a dry brush with skull white, this looks like frost on gravel (as I use gravel) and if you do not like it then add a grey wash to turn it into non frosted gravel

Things which I noticed

• The eyes will always look a lot darker
  • The blue paint is good for power weapons (sorry for the irrelevance)
  • The blue spreads nicely, if you want to try a more natural highlight then normal highlights just spread it thinly where you want to highlight
  • You don't have to spend ages getting a black line between the stripes on the headdress as the was does this for you

Sorry, thats the closest to a tutorial I am going to be able to make, I don't have anymore thousand sons to paint step by step...

Malanok

P.S Oh yes, I am also trying this on a (Tzeentch) Daemon Prince ;)

Archived