Chosen Rules Question

Requiemnex

I know.. I probably should have searched for this... Anyone able to provide me with a quick and easy yes or no on this one?

So... The way I read this is... You may upgrade to an aspiring champion for :D points and then it does not list gear options for him. I asume he has the same options as a normal Aspiring Champion Chaos Space Marine. However this isnt really the question. The codex then states One model may choose a weapon from the following list... The three worth talking about in my opinion are Flamer, Meltagun, and Plasma Gun.. After that note it states. "Up to four models" may take a special weapon from the following list. Again the three guns of worth in my opinion.. Flamer, Meltagun, and Plasma Gun...

My idea is a cheesy one.. Bring on the troll! :yes:

5 Chosen

5 Plasma Guns

Rhino

Drive by shooting thug style. Some people may say. holy cow that is a lot of points. This squad could serve two VERY SICKENING purposes.. First and in my mind foremost.. usually people stick a decent squad or team together to protect control points on the field.. Roll up. Pop out.. Drop 10 shots of plasma into it giggle a little. Yes about 1.5 marines a volly will pop. I am ok with that. The purpose is to smash Rubric, Terminator, and other various tough monsters. Is this legal?

Yes you can have 5 plaz in a 5 man chosen squad.

I don't consider it cheezy at all, not even that good really (well great offensively but not defensively), if I can drop a plaz cannon template or just pour bolter fire, or assault into that squad killing guys at 33 pts per, I'll be the one giggling. Gotta remember those guys cost more the termi's but with much worse armor.

Say you unload that squad at a 9 man squad of thousand sons. Your looking at 6/7 hits, 5/6 wounds, 2/3 dead thousand sons. At this point the 6 remaining sons fire 12 shots for 8 hits and 4 deaths in your squad. And may the gods help you if the sorcerer champion has any of the chaos shooting powers up his sleeve. If you want to drench enemies in plasma Oblits are the way to do it.

True story. at 33 points per a model and the rhino counting as a victory point.. It could end very poorly. The idea of having 165 points in a 5 man squad.. Seems a bit lackluster Odds are I will get the shot off first in most situations.. IE Rhino drop and blast. I absolutely think that it could be absolutely pointless but at the same time I play against a lot of Chaos and Space marine armies at my local shop and being able to rain plasma will be killer. Not to mention the "hammer and anvil" method really could hurt. Not to mention I just think it would be fun to have a squad rolling around with nothing but plasma.. I may even model a special rhino for them.. Or maybe not the idea that they can infiltrate is pretty nice as well.

Oblits are a heavy choice. I am looking for alternative.

Chosens with 5special weapons in my opinion can be good in larger games. I used 7chosens and one lord in a rhino at 2250p game. Did good against Space marines and gunned down total 17 marines in one game using 5x plasma guns. But still a big chance you kill your own 33p model wich is really a big deal to that squad. They loose alot of punch everytime someone with a special weapon dies. And since they're not troops they can't capture objectives so then they loose thier purpose.

I have the same question about the chosen aspiring champ. can he be upgraded with a fist/power weapon. In a freindly game i think it would be fun to have 5 chosen with duel lighting claws. Im just a sucker for the claws. anyways another expensive unit infiltrate the chosen with a autocannon 4 plasmas and group of 10 chosen. I think standing behind the enemy cold put down some fire. but just in a freindly game, dont flame me im just noob with silly ideas

The 5 special weapons can be put on anybody in the squad, including the champ. 5 chosen with claws would certainly put the hurt down on something, but the unit would suffer as a CC monster squad due to the lack of fearless. You'd probably want 4 claws and a fist though, not 5 claws.

Can I suggest the alternatives of termies with combi plasma?

For +2 points more, you get power weapons, better armor, an inv save, and you can deep strike in, which will be awsome since as a chaos player you should have tons of Icons everywhere :)

The only cons are, you wouldn't get a cheap transport with these guys, so DS is somewhat risky if you find them coming in on turn 2/3 with no icons in position, and they only get to fire one shot off with their plasma (but at least next turn you get assault with PW's).

Can I be honest for a second? I hate terminators.... True story... The guy at my local store tried to convince me to buy a box of terminators yesterday.. I insisted on a box of 5 marines with bolters. As cool and fun as my idea with the plasma sounded I actually came to a few other realizations.. Some of you may have read my post in the army list section about this campaign I am in. There are 3 Eldar players, 5 power armor armies CSM and SM alike, 2 IG armies, 3 Tyranid armies, and one renegade forgeworld army. So..... Plasma would be useful in many of those fights but I decided flamers may be a bit more in order here.. 5 flamer templates equals a HELL of a lot more rolls even with saves. Its almost like the seer council destructor spam. I recently have taken a real liking to plasma and the ability to rapid fire.. I run a 10 man CSM squad with two plasma guns, I also run two oblits and the twin linked plasma guns on them are GREAT! Between those two squads I can USUALLY take out a daemon prince before it reaches me. I used to play my CSM army as a ranged army. Always droping back and firing at max range without moving I also used two close combat squads but the more and more I play with them I realize that You will get so many more kills by staying within 12 inches of the enemy..

Tactic...

10 man plasma squad with MoS. Power weapon bearing ASP champ. Drop out of rhino.. Rain 16 shots of bolter fire and 4 shots of plasma into the enemy.. Drop my 10 man khorne Zerker squad out about 5inches behind them... Wait for the enemy to charge my Initiative 5 CSM squad.. drop a few bodies due to being charged.. I play chaos.. These are acceptable losses. Muahahaha. Khorne Zerkers charge in for 40 attacks.. 5 of those being with a power weapon. Cleans up just about anything. Not too many losses.. I always run ATLEAST 3 troops.

Back to the topic though. Chosen!! I want them to be useful I enjoy the idea of infiltrating CSM... On a good roll that you can outflank..... A squad of CCSM could almost be as useful as wolf scouts.. Not only will they draw a TON of attention (away from my daemon prince and two charging rhino) if you choose to avoid them they will cause SERIOUS losses.

The guy at my local store tried to convince me to buy a box of terminators yesterday.. I insisted on a box of 5 marines with bolters.

I hate when the store guy tries to convience me to buy anything. When I walk in there, I know what I'm going to buy and why and I'm not going to buy anything else.

I have the same question about the chosen aspiring champ. can he be upgraded with a fist/power weapon. In a freindly game i think it would be fun to have 5 chosen with duel lighting claws.

Only four chosen can get power weapons. The fifth has to be a special/heavy weapon.

Scouting is a free move after deployment but before the first turn.

Infiltration is the ability to deploy anywhere on the board during deployment as long as you are 18 inches away from your opponent if you are in LOS or 12 inches if you are not.

Outflanking is the ability to come in from one of the short table edges when entering the game from reserves.

Units that can scout OR infiltrate may outflank if they were kept in reserve.

The guy at my local store tried to convince me to buy a box of terminators yesterday.. I insisted on a box of 5 marines with bolters.

I hate when the store guy tries to convience me to buy anything. When I walk in there, I know what I'm going to buy and why and I'm not going to buy anything else.

I had this in my local store and the relivily new guy served me I went in to exchange some 2 Raptors for 2 Autocannon havoks he looked at me like id just come in pulled my pants down and Urinated all over his leg and spent the entire time trying to sell me a box of SM devies, Guard Heavy Weapons squad and Box of 5 CSMs all te time and stalled putting through my order until i told him he does this or I complain to his manager! at which point he gave a mone and said that i cant honuestly cant like the models their horrid!

anyway on topic where does it say that that chosen can have 5 weapons as far as i can tell from my 'dex you can make one guy an AC and that 4 models in the unit may have weapons rather than the champ my have these things and 4 other guys may have these things?

anyway on topic where does it say that that chosen can have 5 weapons as far as i can tell from my 'dex you can make one guy an AC and that 4 models in the unit may have weapons rather than the champ my have these things and 4 other guys may have these things?

One chosen may have one of the following: (list is heavy and special weapons). Then 4 may have 1 of the following: (list is special and special CC weapons).

I had this in my local store and the relivily new guy served me I went in to exchange some 2 Raptors for 2 Autocannon havoks he looked at me like id just come in pulled my pants down and Urinated all over his leg and spent the entire time trying to sell me a box of SM devies, Guard Heavy Weapons squad and Box of 5 CSMs all te time and stalled putting through my order until i told him he does this or I complain to his manager! at which point he gave a mone and said that i cant honuestly cant like the models their horrid!

I probably would have got kicked out of the store or would have complained to the manager immediately.

One chosen may have one of the following: (list is heavy and special weapons). Then 4 may have 1 of the following: (list is special and special CC weapons).

*Brick of realisation strikes* ok got it know thanks it hough you were all saying that thier was a way of taking 5 guys with PW, Melta etc silly me! :D

I run a 2K World Eaters themed army.

I have 2 8-man chosen armed with 2 meltas, 1 flamer. 169 pts per unit.

I use it infiltrate, hunt armor and hvy weapons squads if the enemy chooses to go after my 4 zerkers in rhinos.

Or to get in a couple shots as sacrificial lambs if the enemy decide they are priority.

I've got about a dozen games in and they have usually managed to kill more than their points cost before dying.

While at the same time allowing the zerkers to pretty much get a free ride into assault range (most people seem to target them first).

That plus, so far my 8 man termie squad has been pretty consistent at landing on turn 3 as well... lots of blood for the Blood god after that happens

That is great feedback. I am more about psyching a player out and making him make more choices than he really wants to. Thus causign him to make several poor choices throughout the game. That is how I play my army. Its more confusing then anything and when the other player "thinks" he knows what I am doing. I often do something completely off the wall and suprise them. It just works really well. Melta Flamer squad sounds pretty serious as well.. That is my other consideration.. in the campaign I am playing in there are two nid players and i feel like that squad would could potentially give me the opportunity to either draw the large troops back at me while I template them with flamers, plasma cannons, frag missiles. Or give my zerkers time to run in and say hello to his more potant units.

Archived