Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter question..

tahrikmili

I know this topic must've come up in the past but searching for 'Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter' gave me way too many matches..

I'm confused about the 'Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter' option for SM transport vehicles in the Codex. If I pay the points for it, do I get a second one in addition to the first? Is the standard Storm Bolter Pintle mounted as well? And finally how should I model the regular Stor Bolter and the optional one? Is the first somehow fixed to the hull (and if so.. where?) and is the second one mounted on a turret at one of the hatches? Is there a FAQ or some similar thing that explains it or is it just vaguely worded?

I would really appreciate it if someone could photos of a properly modelled regular Rhino and one with the optional Storm Bolter too, if anyone has the time.

Thanks!

Thank you for pointing out a FAQ for this, here's the quote:

Remember that the rule is: if it looks like you can pont the gun at it then you can, even if it's glued in place. The rest is just a set of guidelines about the arcs of fire of weapons glued in place and does not cover all possible weapons mountings and vehicles. If the structure of the gun is pintle mounted on is obviously capable of rotating 360 like in the case of the Rhino's cupola, then it should be treated as having a 360 arc of fire. However, if you mount the same storm bolter on a Razorback, even though it stillc an rotate 360, it won't obviously be able to fire through the Razorback's main turret, and so it will have a 'blind spot'. In the same way, the shuriken catapult mounted udner the hull of a Wave Serpent, Falcon, etc. looks like it can rotate 360 but it does not look like it can be fired through the hull behind it, so we normally play that it can be fired roughly in the 180 to the vehicle's front, which seems like an acceptable compromise.

However this does not answer all my questions.

It is now clear to me that a gun modelled on the hatch is automatically pintle mounted and can fire 360 degrees.. but the questions remain:

1. Is the standard Rhino storm bolter pintle mounted since the only logical place to mount it is on the hatch?

2. If it is not pintle mounted where do I mount it?

3. If it is pintle mounted does the optional upgrade move it to the hatch where it becoems pintle mounted or do I mount a second storm bolter on the hatch?

This is still vague for me :( Foreign language barriers maybe..

1. Yes.

2. See 1.

3. I have placed one stormbolter on the cupola, the other one the other side of the Rhino on the round hatchplate itself.

Hope this helps :huh:

RoV

I actually disagree with this.

The first StormBolter is hull mounted and should be on the round hatchplate.

The additional StormBolter is Pintle Mounted; first SB can only fire forward, second may rotate.

Mycroft

1. Yes.

2. See 1.

3. I have placed one stormbolter on the cupola, the other one the other side of the Rhino on the round hatchplate itself.

Hope this helps <_<

RoV

The additional StormBolter is Pintle Mounted; first SB can only fire forward, second may rotate.

Mycroft

Give me the codex page number that says the free SB is hull mounted. It's not.

the free one doesn't have to be modeled. You can decide it's a standard hand held SB, and to fire it, a crewman opens a hatch.

Put it where you want it. Or not at all.

This is the Rhino on GW's homepage:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1252439_99120101017_SMRhinomain_873x627.jpg

Is this mounted on the hatch or the capola? Is it hull mounted or pintle mounted? If it is pintle mounted how come does it have only one Storm Bolter?

It's either:

1. The first Storm Bolter is pintle Mounted (and if so where does the second one go?)

2. The first Storm Bolter is pintle mounted and does not need to be modelled and the second Storm Bolter is also pintle mounted.

3. The first Storm Bolter is hull mounted and does not need to be modelled and the second Storm Bolter is pintle mounted.

4. The first Storm Bolter is hull mounted and does not need to be modelled and the option moves the Storm Bolter to the pintle.

Either way.. they couldn't have worded it worse.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1252439_99120101017_SMRhinomain_873x627.jpg

Is this mounted on the hatch or the capola? Is it hull mounted or pintle mounted? If it is pintle mounted how come does it have only one Storm Bolter?

It's either:

1. The first Storm Bolter is pintle Mounted (and if so where does the second one go?)

2. The first Storm Bolter is hull mounted and does not need to be modelled and the second Storm Bolter is pintle mounted.

3. The first Storm Bolter is hull mounted and does not need to be modelled and the option moves the Storm Bolter to the pintle.

I agree that it's poorly worded. In fact, in the 5th ed. 'dex, it doesn't specify how ANY vehicle weapons are mounted, with the exception of add-on sponsons (i.e. predator). the 4th ed. however is very specific about how various weapons are mounted, except for the rhino SB. That leads me to believe the rhino SB is NOT mounted, that is, a hand held weapon. in fact, in the 4th ed. illustration of the rhino, theres no SB on the roof.

1. Yes.

2. See 1.

Hope this helps :)

RoV

Mycroft

So the little round hatch you put it on doesn't rotate? Shouldn't have glued it on then mate, mine rotates just fine, and that isn't any sort of conversion or modification at all. Or did you glue it on the hull instead of the rotating hatch? :)

RoV

It's either:

2. The first Storm Bolter is pintle mounted and does not need to be modelled and the second Storm Bolter is also pintle mounted.

3. The first Storm Bolter is hull mounted and does not need to be modelled and the second Storm Bolter is pintle mounted.

4. The first Storm Bolter is hull mounted and does not need to be modelled and the option moves the Storm Bolter to the pintle.

1) Yes, and the second one can go on the Copula that they so nicely included.

2) Odd, but I suppose you could play it that way.

3) No, nothing says its hull mounted, and precident shows pintel.

4) Thats just daft, it says nothing of changing any other weapon options, just adding a new one entirely.

A pintle is the bolt that allows the pivot/hinge to elevate. Both the mounts on the Rhino model are pintle mounts, it's just one is for manual firing and the other automated, or controlled from within the Rhino (like the gun on an Apache). By nature of their shape both mounts appear to be designed to traverse (rotate).

Also, are either of the bolters actually referred to as being pintle-mounted any more? Admittedly I'm looking at an edited PDF copy of the codex, and that lists them as just being storm bolters, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

Even if the storm bolter is mounted as shown in that GW stock picture, it can still rotate. It's controlled by the vehicle crew inside the crew compartment. There are actually many different ways you can mount the gun. Notice that the Rhino kit only provides ONE storm bolter anyways. So the second one has to come from someplace else (another Rhino kit!).

There's nothing stopping you from making BOTH of the storm bolters Marine-manned by mounting two on hatch-rings, and having two Marines poking out of the top of the Rhino.

Archived