Sternguard & Drop Pods

bighatdino

The Sternguard entry says they can take a drop pod, does this mean you can have anywhere between 5 and 10 in the DP? The reason I ask is that for Tac squads you have to have the full 10, so it just seemed a bit weird this wasn't the case for Sterns :)

You are correct, you can put as many Sternguard as you want into a Drop Pod as there is no restriction on unit number, unlike the Tactical Squad. Of course I'd imagine 10 men would be more effective than 5, but you are correct, Sternguard can have any number in the Drop Pod.

As for why it seems weird, Drop Pods are normally the start of a planetery invasion, so the entire Tactical Squad would be in the Drop Pod for the first action of the battle. Sternguard units (like all Veteran units) will vary in size, and so the 5 man squad could be the full number of that squad. At least that's my take on it.

But yes, you are right, any number of Sternguard can go in a Drop Pod.

Thanks!

It probably doesn't make much sense to take less than 10 especially as you can squeeze a couple of characters in there too, but I want to get an army on the table sharpish and only have 5 Sterns built and ready to paint :)

Archived