Brotherhood of a Thousand completes, take two

araekyus

So here is the three i have officially (i promise this time) finished. I am quite happy with the results and removing the gs badges made all the difference. Thanks for all the tips in my last post. Hope you enjoy these and as always C&C most welcome!

gallery_35302_3394_105113.jpg[/url]

gallery_35302_3394_340456.jpg[/url]

gallery_35302_3394_483259.jpg[/url]

gallery_35302_3394_557975.jpg[/url]

Excellent work. You really improved them since your WIP thread. I really do like them and I hope to see an army of these guys very soon.

The transfers are an improvement on the GS symbol, no question. The gun casings look good as black, and despite the yellow trim and orange eyes your models have quite a sinister look to them.

Nice job. What process did you use to get the eyes to pop out like that? As we all know, the face is most important part of the mini and you've certainly grabbed the viewers attention with the eyes.

My guess would be red/blazing orange with increasing amounts of white :P

Really cool models...they look really angry and mean!

man they are nice models. mark 8 errant armour i believe. where did you get the models? or did you get it from the sm tactical packs.

thanks

antique_nova

Those are actually the old metal Mk8 armor minis.

They look really great. Even using the same base body/head/torso combo of the metal mini, you managed to make each one stand out as an individual.

I like the altered gauntlets and vambraces on the bolter-armed Marines.

Great looking minis, the paint job looks really nice and well, old school 'Eavy Metal to be honest, which is a definite plus point in my opinion. ;)

Congratulations on getting your hands on those models, I once saw in a very old WD a chaplain that had been converted from that model, and always wanted to do the same.

Again, fantastic job, they look just a little bit annoyed...

Thanks for all the praise everyone ;) Answers to the questions some asked:

The eyes are two colors: thinned down Mechrite Red and a dot of Vallejo Fluo Orange. Thats it.

The main color grey was done with a single coat of Duplicolor Sandable Primer (dark grey), then the whole mini is dipped into a jar of wash made from 1 part Future, 3 parts water, a few drops of GW Armour Wash, Vallejo Smoke and Adikolor Despair Black. dried overnite, then a light coat of Krylon Matt Finish. grey highlights are a thinned buildup of Adeptus Battlegrey, Astronomicon Grey and Adikolor Judgement White. Yellow trim and aquila are based with Deneb Stone, Gryphonne Sepia wash, highlights are thinned Vallejo Golden Yellow and Adikolor Sulpher Yellow.

The models themselves? i have been sitting on them since they were a brand new release back in early '90's. over the years ive managed to get more through ebay and friends who thought, 'they looked stupid' lol. my gallery pic shows all that i have collect so far.

work has already been started on the Sgt and the rest of the first of three tactical squads. also in the works are my capt, a command squad with champion and a dreadnought. Ill be sure to post them as they get completed.

I noticed the pre-heresy thousand sons emblem and the name tags in too. Do you have any fluff for them?? I did a bit of a search and couldn't find anything!

Some very nice looking marines. I like the (what I assume is) errant armour!

heh thx. yeah, that is MKVIII Errant Armour. a pity these didnt make it into the 'Armour of the Ages' set.

as for the fluff...well, there isnt any save for the odd pictures from the How to Paint Space Marines guide, Insignum Astartes, that LE edition poster GW is giving/selling away and the Chapter Gallery online. Ive scoured my old dusty Rogue Trader volumes and WD's for the original Thousand Sons emblem but i can't seem to find it at all.

Bothersome too, because when i was wee, actually remember painting a marine with an 'M' on shoulder because i saw a picture of a marine with it and thought it was cool....i just cant remember.

I supposed i could create some fluff..but, ive always tried to express the backround by how the minis are painted, the army composition, and so forth. i prefer it more than sitting down and writing a large amount of text about it.

Very nice. The painting is quite good. Though would it be possible to sculpt the plastic MKVII arms to match the MKVIII style?

it is, but id rather stay the path im on now heh. its doesnt seem too difficult to try; perhaps over the weekend ill give it a go between painting.

The main color grey was done with a single coat of Duplicolor Sandable Primer (dark grey), then the whole mini is dipped into a jar of wash made from 1 part Future, 3 parts water, a few drops of GW Armour Wash, Vallejo Smoke and Adikolor Despair Black. dried overnite, then a light coat of Krylon Matt Finish. grey highlights are a thinned buildup of Adeptus Battlegrey, Astronomicon Grey and Adikolor Judgement White. Yellow trim and aquila are based with Deneb Stone, Gryphonne Sepia wash, highlights are thinned Vallejo Golden Yellow and Adikolor Sulpher Yellow.

I am looking at painting some dark grey Grey Knights and I really like the grey you have achieved. When (and if) I get to them, I just may use your technique (with some adjustments after experimentation).

I am looking at painting some dark grey Grey Knights and I really like the grey you have achieved. When (and if) I get to them, I just may use your technique (with some adjustments after experimentation).

by all means, go for it! i did fail to mention that i did the final varnish with Testors Dullcote. Im convinced thats what finally shaded the grey to where i wanted it to be. ive heard that the formula (old/new?) darkens color slightly after drying; maybe i should go ask them. I live and work a half hour away from their HQ heh.

Very nice. The painting is quite good. Though would it be possible to sculpt the plastic MKVII arms to match the MKVIII style?

it is, but id rather stay the path im on now heh. its doesnt seem too difficult to try; perhaps over the weekend ill give it a go between painting.

That's good. I feel that going all the way would really add so much to these models.

by all means, go for it! i did fail to mention that i did the final varnish with Testors Dullcote. Im convinced thats what finally shaded the grey to where i wanted it to be. ive heard that the formula (old/new?) darkens color slightly after drying; maybe i should go ask them. I live and work a half hour away from their HQ heh.

One thing I failed to inquire about is paint equivalencies. I am not familiar with Adikolor nor have I seen it around here (western Canada). GW (obviously) and Vallejo (preferred brand) paints are well known to me. If you know of equivalents in those paints to the Adikolors, I would appreciate it.

Archived