Can two Combat Squads share a Rhino?

Mr. Bleak

On a similar note: I have a 10-man tactical squad with a rhino. At the start of the game I split them into two 5-man combat squads (one with the rocket launcher and the other with the flamer). Can one of the 5-man combat squads board the rhino and use it while the other squad hangs back with the rest of the gun line?

-Daniel

On a similar note: I have a 10-man tactical squad with a rhino. At the start of the game I split them into two 5-man combat squads (one with the rocket launcher and the other with the flamer). Can one of the 5-man combat squads board the rhino and use it while the other squad hangs back with the rest of the gun line?

-Daniel

Yes mate, the Rhino can i believe even whip back and pick up the 'covering' combat squad when his battle taxi duties are done

Sure can. When combat squadded (declare at the appropriate time) they function as two separate units, despite being one on your FOC. This is proven by the fact that they will count as two points if they're both killed. And as Isaiah points out, dedicated transport only means that the only unit that can start the game in that transport is the one that took it...there's nothing stopping it from dumping off one squad and coming back for another.

So, on turn one I can have a combat squad IN the Rhino after deployment, before game starts, then embark a second combat squad into the Rhino when turn one starts and ride off into battle?

No. Once a unit has been combat squadded they count as two separate units and so can't ride in the same transport together. Only one of the two combat squads can deploy in it. Once that combat squad has disembarked then the transport is free to pick up anything else that can legally fit in it.

It's all on p67 of the BRB under the Dedicated Transports heading.

Cheers

I

So, on turn one I can have a combat squad IN the Rhino after deployment, before game starts, then embark a second combat squad into the Rhino when turn one starts and ride off into battle?

No, for several reasons

Combat squading is done AT deployment (or when they come in from reserves as that involves deploying them). If the squad has ever been on the board as a 10-man unit (even if embarked) it CANNOT combat squad, its time has already passed. The exception being drop pods which allow you to combat squad when you dissembark dispit being embarked as a 10 man unit.

Actualy never mind I misread your quote (though everything I wrote is accurate its not related to your statement). But the answer is still no, a rhino can NEVER hold more than one unit+any number of independent characters. each combat squad is its own unique unit and thus may never share a transport with another (non independent character) unit.

There was one final screech of twisted and scorched metal as the last of the Killa Kans went toppling down the steep hill to the ravine below that also served as the final resting place for some several hundred dead Orks. The remnants of 2nd company Imperial Fists were packing up and leaving. Deep behind enemy Ork lines, the strike to the command and control of the Orks on Davnis IV went well with all but a few Space Marines fallen and several Rhinos lost. Soon the campaign would eradicate this Ork menace before it found a foot hold.

"Pack it in Marines!" Sgt. Jeorvis ordered as the last marine from his combat squad made way for their Rhino. "We have incoming Ork hordes from the north and south flanks that will be on us in minutes. Let's blaze outta here."

With the last of his combat squad in, Sgt. Jeorvis shut and latched the hatch and then leaned back against the wall of the Rhino, content in the fact that he was alive and the enemy was dead. The Rhino engine rumbled to life and coughed a few times as it revved strong and ready to cede this battlefield to the enemy now that their job was done and the Ork Warlord lay dead and rotting in a heap of twisting metal.

RAP! RAP! RAP!

"What in the name of the Emperor!" Sgt Jeorvis and his squad looked quizzically at one another at the sound of the taps that reverberated through the hull.

"Not gunfire, Sgt," said one of his squad. "I think someone's tapping on the rear hatch."

Sgt. Jeorvis unlatched the rear door, squeezing the grip on his bolter firmly, as it fell open to the cindering battlefield behind them. Standing before them were five hulking figures in yellow power armor.

"Hello brothers! Sgt. Lighberger and combat squad here asking for permission to embark. Our Rhino didn't make it and it would be an honor to ride with fellow battle brothers."

Sgt. Jeorvis looked back at his squad in the Rhino and then back at his fellow space marines standing before the hatch and shook his head. "Sorry, Sgt. Lighberger, permission denied."

"What? The Ork hordes are almost upon us! Certainly there is more room in that Rhino! I can see it occupied by only you and four of your marines. We are but five more! All of us have room!" Sgt. Lighberger stated as he placed his armored boot upon the hatch door in front of them both.

"Sgt. Lighberger, if I may please direct your attention to that little warning sign on the entry door to your left," Sgt. Jeorvis said while pointing it out with his finger. "Please read that for me."

The roar of Ork battle bikes could be heard in the distance closing in on their position, along with the crackle of Ork gunfire and howls and shouts from Ork mobs. Sgt. Lighberger glanced over in the direction of the sounds as they drew ever closer and then turned back placing his other armored boot on the ramp and leaning in toward the sign to read it. "Uhh, ok... Says 'A transport may carry a single infantry unit and/or any number of independent characters up to a total of models equal to the vehicle's transport capacity.' So, so what? You still have room! The Orks are coming, let us in!"

"I can't do that, Sgt. Lighberger. You must understand, rules are rules and the Imperial Fists follow the rules and our codex to the letter, you as well as I know the truth in this! There is nothing I can do for you or your men. Now promptly extricate yourself from my ramp. It is time for me and my combat squad to depart."

Sgt. Lighberger twisted his fingers round the handle of his bolter then looked back at his battle brothers standing behind him to briefly meet their gaze. In an instant he whirled around to face the darkened sanctuary of the Rhino shouting angrily, "You're going to leave us here? Even when you have room in your Rhino, you are going to leave your fellow battle brothers behind to die senselessly at the hands of these vile Orks?" Sgt Lighberger took a step toward Sgt. Jeorvis and with a lightning fast thrust caught the collar of his armor in his gauntlet and pulled him close till their helmets clacked together. Red glowing eyes burned into one another for what seemed like eternity. Both combat squads nervously gripped their bolters each ready to bring them to bear in what seemed like an inconceivable act...

"Sgt. Jeorvis, may you and your squad burn in the fires of chaos!" Sgt. Lighberger seethed as he shoved the other Sgt. back into the safe confines of the Rhino. Stepping off the ramp he bent down and as he shut the hatch, Sgt. Lighberger said in a growling hellish voice as his red eyes bore into Sgt. Jeorvis and his men, "May the Emperor's mercy be with you all, for if I survive this battle with these Orks, you will need it to face my wrath!" And slammed the door shut.

As the Rhino crested the small hill behind them and made it's way around the bend and out of sight, the start of the next battle was about to unfold. Before Sgt. Lighberger and his combat squad several thousand Orks rushed out from over the ridge, each one hungry for battle and lustful for revenge of their fallen Warlord.

Sgt. Lighberger walked into the middle of some wreckage and thrummed his chainsword to life and from it lofted the severed head of the Ork Warlord and held it high for all the Orks to see. Lighberger turned toward his squad and said, "For Dorn!" 'For Dorn' his squad yelled in unison and they turned to face their deaths. At least it will be quick, thought Lighberger...

(to be continued...)

Very amusing :huh:, you're wasted dizzy-xc, should be writing for the Black Library. Although you make your point well, don't confuse "real life" with 40K rules logic.

OK original rules question has been answered.

Cheers

I

Very amusing ;), you're wasted dizzy-xc, should be writing for the Black Library. Although you make your point well, don't confuse "real life" with 40K rules logic.

Thanks guys. Finally made my last edit. Changed a few words here and there to make it more striking. I thought it was a good tell. So how does one write for the black library?

So how does one write for the black library?

You find 1000 monkeys and allow them access to 1000 typewriters, and at the end of each day, collate their work into a chapter.

At least, this is how CS Goto appears to do it.

Certainly struck me as that when I tried to read Dawn of War. It's the only 40K Black Library book I've EVER had to put down because I was actually getting angry with the author. Barring any I haven't read (Not many, and most of those unread are penned by CS Goto) it was the worst, by far.

It's been fun but now it's waaaaaay off topic. The original rules question has been dealt with so in the meantime....

gallery_26_548_17134.jpg

If anyone has a burning issue with the rule in question and wants to add something new – PM myself and nighthawks and we'll consider reopening it.

Cheers

I

Archived