Allies, Transports, and "Counts As" Shenanigans

thade

Here is the idea: I want to take Grey Knights as Allies (per the DH Codex) with Space Wolves. (Space Wolves aren't specified, but they are "Space Marines", so I think this can fly.) Two units of Grey Knights loaded into Land Raiders is the goal...and there's the catch, as you can't take Heavy Support choices as Allies.

Space Wolves, however, CAN take Land Raiders as Heavies. So...what I want to do is take 1-2 Land Raiders using Space Wolf Heavy Support Slots, all for the GK to ride in. The "Counts As" part comes with the fact that I'm going to paint the LRs in GK colors, but they'll have to "count as SW LRs" to use those slots, I figure.

This doesn't feel all that out of whack really, but I'm still new here so I wanted to ask before I went spending big money on two new Land Raiders.

If this IS okay, can the GK start out embarked into the LRs? Again, I see nothing wrong with that (I haven't seen anything in the rules stating that Allies can't start embarked in non-dedicated transports), but I'm new and still learning the errata/rules.

As always, thanks. =)

I see no problem with this. Games Workshop has used the blanket term Space Marines, without clarifying or specifying the inclusion or exclusion of specific Codices (not even Codex: Space Marines), so to me, any Space Marine army (Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, etc.) can include Grey Knights.

As long as you're clear that these are "Space Wolf" Land Raiders (minor difference, since either way Allied Heavy Support (if it could be taken) or Space Wolves Heavy Support would still take up a Heavy Support slot), it should be okay.

And any unit/model can deploy in a non-dedicated transport (assuming they fit and it's in the rules, re: a 10-strong Terminator squad still wouldn't be able to deploy in a Land Raider).

DV8

Here is the idea: I want to take Grey Knights as Allies (per the DH Codex) with Space Wolves. (Space Wolves aren't specified, but they are "Space Marines", so I think this can fly.) Two units of Grey Knights loaded into Land Raiders is the goal...and there's the catch, as you can't take Heavy Support choices as Allies.

Space Wolves, however, CAN take Land Raiders as Heavies. So...what I want to do is take 1-2 Land Raiders using Space Wolf Heavy Support Slots, all for the GK to ride in. The "Counts As" part comes with the fact that I'm going to paint the LRs in GK colors, but they'll have to "count as SW LRs" to use those slots, I figure.

This doesn't feel all that out of whack really, but I'm still new here so I wanted to ask before I went spending big money on two new Land Raiders.

If this IS okay, can the GK start out embarked into the LRs? Again, I see nothing wrong with that (I haven't seen anything in the rules stating that Allies can't start embarked in non-dedicated transports), but I'm new and still learning the errata/rules.

As always, thanks. =)

Please note- Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Black Templars AND Salamanders are all listed as being able to take part in an allied force using the DH codex.

Theres nothing wrong with what your doing- as long as your opponent knows that hes facing a LR that uses the SW rules, and was bought from said codex.

Archived