A Thought on Rumors

Brother Hadafix

I was fairly aimlessly flicking through the interweb and came across a rumour on Warseer that GW 'may' at some point be releasing a Chaos Legion codex or codices.

Given that Gav mentioned that GW had done some ground work on one when he did C:CSM, maybe that was a "sort of" hint that one could be in the pipelines anyway, and that blog came out about a month after the letter shot that "some" took part in.

This could be a flight of fantisy, but given Gavs blog could this add weight to the rumours being that little more concrete. And could have that letter shot pushed enough buttons for GW to allow or want some of this to be known to at least keep players interested?

You thoughts?

one day GW is going to make a chaos space marine dex . a new one . this one had worse sales then the 3.5 ed one and was seen as bad , by many players . A few people working for GW said that the new dex doesnt work well for legions [majority of players in 3.5] and that it is more a renegade book [sadlly we get almost 0 new fluff about them]. Gav said they were thinking about legion rules [and we did some of them in apocalips . noise marine tanks , 1ksons terminators etc] . But are they working on it now ? nope. we will see the dex in 2 , maybe 3 years.

GW will release a new C:csm at some point. Just like they will release a new dex for everything at some point in the future. Any rumors that it is "in the pipeline" is wishful thinking.

A chaos dex is at least 2-3 years away .

GW will release a new C:csm at some point. Just like they will release a new dex for everything at some point in the future. Any rumors that it is "in the pipeline" is wishful thinking.

A chaos dex is at least 2-3 years away .

dark eldar... nuff said

but this rumour has been kicking around for a long time now even before the gav blog, just as rumours that dark angels and blood angels (and possibly black templars) will be combined into a dex again similar to the original angels of death, just as there are rumours that witch hunters and daemon hunters will be a combined dex as codex inquisition

unfortunately unless gw states they sre officially doing it its just a pipedream

I don't want divergent codices, That would just take even longer to get them all out. Besides in 3.5 each legion was covered (fluff and rules, including special war gear) in a page or two, each IA on the legions was only a 1-2 of pages long. Absolutely no reason all the chaos legions couldn't be covered, WELL, in 1 book.

The old Chaos book was awesome. The ability to make such divergent armies without needing separate codex was a gem! I fully get the whole "renegade" feel of the new codex, but they should have removed reference to the existing Legions.

Then there's the problem of the fluff monkeys saying, "How can it be Chaos if there's no ..."

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess.

Looks like I'll be waiting for a while and put my nine Obliterator Iron Warrior army on ice ... or, the current plan, rehash them as Plague Marines (http://bit.ly/2IJ7MQ).

Besides in 3.5 each legion was covered (fluff and rules, including special war gear) in a page or two, each IA on the legions was only a 1-2 of pages long.

Which is also the way the current codex SHOULD have been handled. You can not tell me that putting an extra 8 pages or so of material in it would have changed that much in the god aweful mess of a codex we have now, and quite possibly would have made the current codex as popular as the 3.5 codex was.

It was a massive case of shortsightedness, and shows an ignoring of what made 3.5 popular in the the first place with the consumer.

I think a lot of people are basing it on a few statements from GW, mainly "you ain't seen nothing yet" concerning Marines releases, and the fact that there is another Marines codex coming out next year besides Blood Angels, and it's been said by GW (or insiders) it's not Black Templar, Dark Angels or Dark Angels. Given the fact that so many people are unhappy with the current codex and that Chaos is a very popular army, there's a chance it could happen next year.

I won't get my hopes up until it's officially announced, or at least announced by those who have been proven right in the past on various sites.

if they were working on a chaos dex[legion or not] dex for next year , then the tests should be runing right now . sadlly they arent. And I doubt that even GW would make a the same mistake twice with the same army[pushing the codex when its not tested/ready].

Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of Chaos Legions codex(es) coming out in less than 2 years. This is pure speculation, but just look at the way they've been releasing marine codices since 5th ed. began, and looks to continue with Blood Angels early next year. Every second release. And after Blood Angels, there's what? Dark Angels and Black Templars left. Grey Knights will be way further down the track as they'll need much more work done to them, miniatures and rules-wise.

In other words, who thinks GW can go two years without more than two marine releases? Not me. I'm guessing they'll sneak Chaos Legions in among the codices that arguably more need the updates (DE, Necrons, Tau).

Note: I'm not saying that's good or bad, deserved or undeserved. Just speculatin'.

That is a good point. Redoing necrons, DE, and Tau is going to take a lot of work. Especially Necrons and DE. Legions... um they need rules. Most of the things that would be in that dex already have 'good' minis out. All you would have to do is make conversion kits and sell those, different heads for different legions(which many have already). Make conversion kits for the terminators. Conversion kits for the DP, lords, etc. The book wouldn't need complete rule overhauls, it just builds off the current dex, you don't need a whole new model range, just conversion kits. Conversion kits and regular models sell more, sounds like little work with a decent payoff, but thats just me.

If a book was to be released next year (however unlikely) it wouldn't have been the first time Games Workshop had done something like that. If I remember correctly, the 3rd Edition codex was almost as reviled as the current book is now. It was replaced relatively quickly by the 3.5 codex, especially considering what the average codex turnaround is. The 3rd edition codex was published in 1999, and was replaced in 2002, so who knows, we might end up with a codex next year (but I doubt it very much)

I'd bet Tau will be next, as they just need a codex re-write. The models are fine for the most part, prolly just a case of making what's metal into plastic, and making the models for what's new in the book.

DE, =][=, and Necrons need total rewrites AND new model LINES. Possibly Tau will be the late '10 release, IMO, with a re-write of Chaos and/ or Eldar maybe about the same time. (the Eldar book needs work too, and plastic wraithguard are a perfect idea to join a re- release of said codex. 25 bucks a pop for something that can be a troop under certain conditions is ridiculous. [ possibly lowering the requirement to 5 instead of 10 to make it a troop would make sense.)

So we prolly won't see any of the other 3 until at the earliest, early '11

Tau Fixing:

JSJ no longer works from area terrain, needs bit of a booster.

Kroot need less "Just stuff all their units into one choice" and more like kroot merc codex.

Sniper Drones

Among other updates. Tau doesn't need that much. However the battlesuit armies were forced to take more devilfishes to hide their JSJ'ers.

Dark Eldar need a new whole theme to go with updates for everything and characterful rules to go with each unit to make them different then a basic stat army.

Tyranids, dont make me look. I've seen it already, and I saw enough. Many tyranid players will be ebaying their army when they pick up the codex. They will be hit harder then Chaos losing its daemons, legion rules and wargear. (No I'm not talking about the fake warseer pre-release) An old Tyranid player will have to buy a new tyranid army just to stay near competition level.

Necrons need a codex. They work fine as is in certain players hands (and always beat me because of it, grr).

Chaos legions. I don't know how they can pull off yet another "Black Templar hype".. Remember back in the Armageddon codex the BT became real popular real fast and beat out sallies for the new codex re-release. Now they're just another dark angels. Blood angels lost a lot of the old timers because originally they were the posterboys. Now GW is trying to be generalists with Ultramarines as posterboys. Blood angels lost the spotlight for facing off against tyranids when Ultramarines came into the big picture. The blood angels lost the orky battle spotlight to crimson fists as well. So they got a free codex to try and keep the old timers happy, but with a twist of having assault marines scoring to make them buy more. A free codex not to just GW to give away(not have to print it and fear bad sales) but to the players who felt ripped off. Slowly bringing the BA back.

I have seen plenty of this marketing angling over the years. Angers me how GW tries to abuse wallets and forced-codex requirements to make a viable army. One edition was foot slog and firepower, next is transport and short range/melee. Back in 3rd it was a bit of a balance with horrible consequences if you fail your plan.

I wouldn't be surprised if 6th edition makes every model so cheap the usual player game of 1500 points would be 2500 in a 5th edition codex. (See rogue trader/2nd edition model points costs) With so many models required for a regular tourny-level game (because 40k gets more popular each year) it will be a forced hand to empty wallet case.

Love Ebay, keep GW price tags away.

Legion codexes will only be possible if things continue to be a gross income promise.

The notion of a "legions" codex or the current chaos space marine codex being intended to "represent Renegades and not the Great Legions" was only ever mentioned AFTER the fact owing to the generally negative and otherwise lukewarm reaction the codex got. Thus far, it has been nothing but a palliative that spokespersons for GW have regurgitated when there's really nothing else to say but: we know we made an ENORMOUS blunder with the current codex. Those looking back to the similar status quo that existed following the advent of Codex: Chaos Space Marines 3rd ed should also remember: the wauy the company reacts to its fans has changed enormously since that time. A month after the third ed codex's release and the general lament of many established chaos players, there was article in White Dwarf pin pointing many of the errata in the codex and providing solutions. A little later we had a more concerted reaction in the form of the Index Astartes articles. We haven't even had an acknowledgement of the blunders that this new Codex makes, much less an attempt to fix them, and I for one will not be holding my breath for anything like an attempt to do so.

... the fact that there is another Marines codex coming out next year besides Blood Angels, and it's been said by GW (or insiders) it's not Black Templar, Dark Angels or Dark Angels. ...

Salamanders?

I don't foresee a new Chaos codex for several years.. despite our protests.

I dont see them ever doing a legion codex.. and I think if they do one it will be terrible.. Just as planned

Right now there isn't anyone in the GW dev that really likes chaos IMO.. GW is one of the most biased companies around. Unless someone decided they love chaos suddenly I dont forsee a good codex.

Haines and chamber were both Chaos players. Jervis is a nutter and will likely get our codex again I reckon..

Rejoice in the coming oblivion. (never had more meaning)

And Hopefully we will get to keep some of the good stuff the current dex has:P This meaning our armed to the teeth Csm squads, imagine the damage that would do with new veteran skills.

And Hopefully we will get to keep some of the good stuff the current dex has:P This meaning our armed to the teeth Csm squads, imagine the damage that would do with new veteran skills.

... the fact that there is another Marines codex coming out next year besides Blood Angels, and it's been said by GW (or insiders) it's not Black Templar, Dark Angels or Dark Angels. ...

It'll probably be either Blood Ravens or Grey Knights (finally).

It would be interesting to see specific Legion codexes, but that's just going to hurt us more. Dividing a faction into subcatagories like that is just going to bring further imbalance. Like people are saying, we need writer who's excited about writing the Chaos codex rather than being "Oh. Crap. I have to write the Chaos codex!? But I wanted to do the Space Wolves one!"

What we should do is gather the countless attempts at a better Chaos codex we have here, mash it all together and send it to GW with a note telling them to start making copies of our attempt ASAP.

Archived